Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

W211 - Replacing Mirror indicator lens

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 - Replacing Mirror indicator lens

Hi. After a close call with another driver coming in the other direction who failed to pull over sufficiently, our mirrors collided and the plastic lens of mine broke. The actual bulbs and the rest of the unit seems fine and it folds,retracts perfectly.

How easy should this be to repair? Can the plastic be replaced without changing the whole bulb unit?

Thanks, Jason.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
It is very simple. The first thing to do is see if the lens is avaialbe separatly from the mirror housing. I needed to replace my whole housing/lens a while back on my 2001 CL. The Lens cracked from a rock thrown up. With the CL/S-Class, you can't order the lens separatly. So I had to buy the entire mirror housing.

Takes about 30 seconds to take the old one off and put the new one on. Ask your parts dept/Service advisor and they will show you the trick.

There is a little metal tab in the housing that you need to clasp back with a small screw driver to remove it. Install and unclasp to lock it on.

The entire mirror/lens assembly from the dealer was approx $100.00. Comes pre-painted as well.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I will call the dealer. Just wanted to make sure that it is not an intensive job before I did.

No easy way to check on MB parts on the net is there?
Old 08-11-2003, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
If you want, email me and I will send you pictures of where the metal clip is in the mirror.