Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo - noise/dissonance or normal sound?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 350 CDI 2011
Turbo - noise/dissonance or normal sound?

I just bought this used ML 350 CDI 2011 with 100.000 km on the tachometer. It makes this extremely noticeable (far more noticeable than on the Youtube clip where it is hardly noticeable at all due to all background noise) sound from the turbo as it spools up and the pressure builds up - it is very far from premium.

We also have a GLK 220 CDI 2013 in the family and it doesn't have any of this sound.

The noise is 70-80% whistle / whine as one can expect from a turbo, but I also think I can notice some 20-30% metallic/mechanical sound somewhere in there (in the background). A little bit like a saw blade in hardwood. Or a BMW M3 E46 revving >8.000 RPMs when that fantastic metallic saw blade sounds fully blossoms ;-). Problem here is though that a metallic sound from a turbo isn't exactly what you want.

From those of you knowing the 350 CDI model better - can you listen to the Youtube clip (and imagine that the sound is 10 times more noticeable in reality) and let me know if you think it is normal or a noise that shouldn't be there. And if the latter, what can the problem be (replacement turbo needed, leaking hoses etc.).