Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keyless Entry Hacks Allow Break-ins

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 01:33 AM

Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts
2016 E350 Sport 2WD
Keyless Entry Hacks Allow Break-ins

I was reading this article about break-ins to autos that use keyless entry systems, like keyless go. Apparently hackers have discovered inexpensive ways to capture the signal, amplify it, then use the signal to unlock your car, take contents (maybe take the car itself).

http://www.cbs5az.com/story/31798022...-car-break-ins

Anything from MB on additional security for their keyless system to prevent signal stealing? Maybe nice metal MB boxes to store your keys in?
Old 04-25-2016, 03:48 AM

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
Scare mongering more than anything. Your keys would need to be exceptionally close to a point they could grab the signal (especially through walls and windows) in order to do this. You are talking about leaving your keys hanging on a keyring on the inside of the door lock type close to even stand any chance. And then they would get a very weak signal and be lucky to amplify it.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:13 PM

Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts
2016 E350 Sport 2WD
Well, the thieves are doing quite well for themselves.

Check out this article:http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/16/style/keeping-your-car-safe-from-electronic-thieves.html?_r=0

And this: http://www.autoblog.com/2016/03/25/k...e-simple-hack/

It appears to me MUCH SIMPLER and more likely that your car could be hacked into than you think.

I would be interesting to see if MB has integrated something into their keyless system that prevents this type of hacking.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:44 PM

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
That second article makes some sense, but equally doesn't. What they describe cannot be achieved by an amplifier, as that requires the source to be the amplifier. What they are describing is a man in the middle attack. Something which capture the call from the a car, replays it out to a greater range and then does the reverse for the response.

This was a known flaw some years ago, but most manufacturers have tightened up the security 5 or so years ago that meant this was not so easy to do as it has to get a response within a certain amount of time (milliseconds) which these repeaters could not achieve. Hence keys now needing to be extremely close to the vehicle in order for anything to be achieved.

If it were as easy as they claim, thousands of cars would be getting hit on a weekly basis which is just not happening. The cars are either pre the updated tech or keys are too close.

Not seen anything of Mercedes cars being vulnerable to man in the middle attacks though.

More of a risk is connected cars and being able to hack in that way and unlock the car. I have seen a proof of concept exploit which can read data exchanges with various connected cars. These security companies are working with the manufacturers to close these security loops, so I won't go into any details.

If you are really worried, fit a physical security deterrent like a steering wheel bar.