MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   Mercedes Tech Talk (https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-tech-talk-41/)
-   -   Quick Jack auto lift. Two thumbs up! (https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-tech-talk/627081-quick-jack-auto-lift-two-thumbs-up.html)

bbirdwell 05-28-2016 08:02 PM

Quick Jack auto lift. Two thumbs up!

2 Attachment(s)
Two thumbs up! I do not have access to a 2 or 4-post auto lift and it would be expensive to modify my garage (or build another) to install one. Purchased a Quick Jack auto lift and I wish I had purchased it much earlier!

Cons:
- To quote my wife, "These instructions suck"! Regard the instructions as a guide to a buried treasure. Lots of hints, but much left in the fog. Photos were of previous versions (vertical? I only had horizontal!) and poor quality. I spent 3 1/2 hours assembling and testing the unit to ensure it functioned. Oh yes, be sure to have a 7/8" wrench and an air compressor (or tire pump) and a pressure gauge on hand and two quarts of automatic transmission fluid. It would have been better if the front page stated, "Go to the website and download the latest instructions! If you do not have internet access, these instruction will enable you to (eventually) figure out how to assemble all these parts." The instructions sucked. Figuratively, not literally.

Pros:
-Much faster than floor jack and jack stands.
-Did I say it is much faster than floor jack and jack stands?
-Raises the E55 in ~ 30 seconds. No floor jacks needed.
-Lowers the E55 in ~ 30 seconds. No issues.
-With the "tall" rubber blocks; bottom of frame is 21" off the ground. Plenty of room for me to work underneath.
-This is going to make oil changes a breeze!
-Leave the lifts pushed together and just straddle the car over them. When needed, pull them out, align with lift points, and raise the car. When finished, push the lifts under the center of the car.

Two thumbs up! :)

GLENN S. 05-30-2016 08:00 AM

Yes, I have 2 of them. Use them in the shop & at the track. Some people use them sideways also.

theinkdon 05-24-2017 12:11 PM

Old thread, but wow, thanks! How have I never heard of lifts like these??
For those wondering, they're $1340 on Amazon right now, but look like they're worth every penny. I'm going to buy a pair!

GLENN S. 05-24-2017 08:56 PM

Oreilys sell them I believe. Check around on prices. That seems high

GLENN S. 05-24-2017 09:06 PM

Equiptool has the 5000 with free shipping

theinkdon 05-24-2017 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by GLENN S. (Post 7159487)
Oreilys sell them I believe. Check around on prices. That seems high

Thanks, Glenn. I'll definitely shop around, although Amazon usually has the best everyday price, that's why I quoted that number.
Equiptool does beat them though, at $1295 with free shipping. (Amazon is FS too, but that's still a $45 savings.)
Everybody else seems to have it at that same 1340 price point though: Quickjack website, Summit Racing, Pelican Parts, Northern Tool, even eBay. (O'Reilly lists it for 1324, at least for my zip code.)

It's a lot of money, but for what it does and how often I could've used it just in the last 5 years it would be worth it.

And check out this video where they lifted 20,000 pounds with the 5000#-rated unit. Holy cow!
I was considering buying the 7000# unit for a little more margin for lifting my 4600# S600, but after watching that video I don't think I need to.

GLENN S. 05-25-2017 07:05 AM

Notice how far away the operator was ��. Also if you know a buddy who is in the car business, they may get a discount on a set!

503C43 ////AMG 08-07-2018 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by bbirdwell (Post 6816722)
Two thumbs up! I do not have access to a 2 or 4-post auto lift and it would be expensive to modify my garage (or build another) to install one. Purchased a Quick Jack auto lift and I wish I had purchased it much earlier!

Cons:
- To quote my wife, "These instructions suck"! Regard the instructions as a guide to a buried treasure. Lots of hints, but much left in the fog. Photos were of previous versions (vertical? I only had horizontal!) and poor quality. I spent 3 1/2 hours assembling and testing the unit to ensure it functioned. Oh yes, be sure to have a 7/8" wrench and an air compressor (or tire pump) and a pressure gauge on hand and two quarts of automatic transmission fluid. It would have been better if the front page stated, "Go to the website and download the latest instructions! If you do not have internet access, these instruction will enable you to (eventually) figure out how to assemble all these parts." The instructions sucked. Figuratively, not literally.

Pros:
-Much faster than floor jack and jack stands.
-Did I say it is much faster than floor jack and jack stands?
-Raises the E55 in ~ 30 seconds. No floor jacks needed.
-Lowers the E55 in ~ 30 seconds. No issues.
-With the "tall" rubber blocks; bottom of frame is 21" off the ground. Plenty of room for me to work underneath.
-This is going to make oil changes a breeze!
-Leave the lifts pushed together and just straddle the car over them. When needed, pull them out, align with lift points, and raise the car. When finished, push the lifts under the center of the car.

Two thumbs up! :)

old thread revival :)

I'm looking to get a set for my E63. Which model did you get?

bbirdwell 08-08-2018 10:40 AM

For the W211 you're going to want the BL-5000EXT. It is six inches longer than the BL-5000SLX; the SLX is perfect for the W210 but marginal for the W211 when fitting the rubber blocks under the jack points; the SLX will work but the EXT is easier. For the W210 and W211, do NOT purchase an SLX and then put the optional extension on it; the extensions increase the height of the lift, the angles of the hydraulic cylinder change, and it will not raise the car due to insufficient leverage.

Be sure you get the rubber blocks under the jack point and not under the lower body trim!

503C43 ////AMG 08-08-2018 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by bbirdwell (Post 7523739)
For the W211 you're going to want the BL-5000EXT. It is six inches longer than the BL-5000SLX; the SLX is perfect for the W210 but marginal for the W211 when fitting the rubber blocks under the jack points; the SLX will work but the EXT is easier. For the W210 and W211, do NOT purchase an SLX and then put the optional extension on it; the extensions increase the height of the lift, the angles of the hydraulic cylinder change, and it will not raise the car due to insufficient leverage.

Be sure you get the rubber blocks under the jack point and not under the lower body trim!

thanks!

91TB78 02-16-2019 04:01 PM

Reviving this thread. Just bought the 5000SLX and I didn’t have any issues fitting to my W211 E55. The EXT would prob be better but I got a super deal through Costco for $999 and free s/h.

They are running that promo again for anyone that cares. As the OP said, the instructions leave something to be desired but weren’t totally worthless. I probably spent more time bleeding the unit than assemblying it.

Def worth it!!

adamgoldberg 02-20-2019 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by bbirdwell (Post 7523739)

I just spoke with the QuickJack customer service folks and discussed the size & weight of a W211 sedan, and the desire to have the SLX to lift a smaller car I also have. They gave no warning about the extension yielding a diminished lifting capability... Can you elaborate?

Originally Posted by 91TB78 (Post 7683143)
Reviving this thread. Just bought the 5000SLX and I didn’t have any issues fitting to my W211 E55. The EXT would prob be better but I got a super deal through Costco for $999 and free s/h.

They are running that promo again for anyone that cares.

Through the end of Feb 2019, Costco has the 5000SLX for $999 plus tax, free shipping. When I discussed with QuickJack purchasing the 5000SLX from Costco and the extensions from QJ, there was discussion about matching the total price (cutting Costco out of the loop).

I'd appreciate any details on how the SLX works on a W211 -- pictures of how the blocks hit the lift points using an SLX would be great!

Also: QuickJack are the same folks as Ranger and BendPak. The other lift I've been noodling over is the BendPak MD-6XP, a 48" mid-rise scissor lift that's "portable" (it wheels, but weighs a lot, and you can't store it upright or on its side easily). The advice from the customer service person I was talking to was that the 48" lift makes it possible to do wheel work (brakes, suspension) while standing, vs. the QuickJack you've got to be on a chair or something ... and for oil changes, the 48" lift yields a rolling chair under the car, vs. a creeper with the QuickJack.
  • QJ: Stores easily. Cheaper. Lighter weight. Creeper for undercar, seated for wheel work.
  • BP MD-6XP: Wheels around, but doesn't store out of the way easily. More expensive, much heavier. Seated for undercar, standing for wheel work.
She said that 90% of the time a homeowner will choose the QuickJack, and 90% of the time a shop will choose the MD-6XP (when choosing between them).

sheefo2k 03-04-2019 09:45 PM

I am in a similar place as you but with a W212 E63. I am planning on printing the attached PDF below, and take some measurements over the weekend.
If the SLX with extension is the same as the EXT then why would anyone purchase EXT?

https://www.quickjack.com/downloads/...-Worksheet.pdf

Originally Posted by adamgoldberg (Post 7686429)
I just spoke with the QuickJack customer service folks and discussed the size & weight of a W211 sedan, and the desire to have the SLX to lift a smaller car I also have. They gave no warning about the extension yielding a diminished lifting capability... Can you elaborate?

Through the end of Feb 2019, Costco has the 5000SLX for $999 plus tax, free shipping. When I discussed with QuickJack purchasing the 5000SLX from Costco and the extensions from QJ, there was discussion about matching the total price (cutting Costco out of the loop).

I'd appreciate any details on how the SLX works on a W211 -- pictures of how the blocks hit the lift points using an SLX would be great!

Also: QuickJack are the same folks as Ranger and BendPak. The other lift I've been noodling over is the BendPak MD-6XP, a 48" mid-rise scissor lift that's "portable" (it wheels, but weighs a lot, and you can't store it upright or on its side easily). The advice from the customer service person I was talking to was that the 48" lift makes it possible to do wheel work (brakes, suspension) while standing, vs. the QuickJack you've got to be on a chair or something ... and for oil changes, the 48" lift yields a rolling chair under the car, vs. a creeper with the QuickJack.
  • QJ: Stores easily. Cheaper. Lighter weight. Creeper for undercar, seated for wheel work.
  • BP MD-6XP: Wheels around, but doesn't store out of the way easily. More expensive, much heavier. Seated for undercar, standing for wheel work.
She said that 90% of the time a homeowner will choose the QuickJack, and 90% of the time a shop will choose the MD-6XP (when choosing between them).

bbirdwell 03-05-2019 10:24 AM

I'll say it again concerning my W210 and W211 (both at stock ride height):
"...the extensions increase the height of the lift, the angles of the hydraulic cylinder change, and it will not raise the car due to insufficient leverage." If you use the extensions, your car will need to be 1" to 2" higher than stock; with a pickup it would be no problem. The rep at QuickJack recommended I put the tires on wooden blocks so as to raise the car sufficiently off the ground so the lift would have leverage; ummm, no thanks, not going to go that path as it defeats the purpose of making the job easier.

The lifts need to raise enough for the hydraulic cylinder to gain sufficient leverage to lift the car; with the extensions added, the hydraulic cylinder is in virtually a horizontal position when the blocks touch the lift points. More hydraulic pressure or a larger hydraulic cylinder would overcome that but we have to work with what is provided. I still very much like having the QuickJack lifts.

On my W211, using the SLX the rubber blocks will overlap perhaps 25% of the lift points. Next time I have the car in the air I'll take photos.

As it is, I have a $180 pair of useless extensions in my garage serving as a trip hazard; if someone local wants to pick them up I'll cut you a fantastic deal on them. I just want to get them out of my way.

sheefo2k 03-05-2019 04:31 PM

I did a little more research last night, I agree with what you said regarding the additional height (1" to 2") and shifting the cylinder pivot point, thus making it harder on the lift to raise the car. I think I will be ordering the 5000 EXT version from the beginning.

Originally Posted by bbirdwell (Post 7697748)
I'll say it again concerning my W210 and W211 (both at stock ride height):
"...the extensions increase the height of the lift, the angles of the hydraulic cylinder change, and it will not raise the car due to insufficient leverage." If you use the extensions, your car will need to be 1" to 2" higher than stock; with a pickup it would be no problem. The rep at QuickJack recommended I put the tires on wooden blocks so as to raise the car sufficiently off the ground so the lift would have leverage; ummm, no thanks, not going to go that path as it defeats the purpose of making the job easier.

The lifts need to raise enough for the hydraulic cylinder to gain sufficient leverage to lift the car; with the extensions added, the hydraulic cylinder is in virtually a horizontal position when the blocks touch the lift points. More hydraulic pressure or a larger hydraulic cylinder would overcome that but we have to work with what is provided. I still very much like having the QuickJack lifts.

On my W211, using the SLX the rubber blocks will overlap perhaps 25% of the lift points. Next time I have the car in the air I'll take photos.

As it is, I have a $180 pair of useless extensions in my garage serving as a trip hazard; if someone local wants to pick them up I'll cut you a fantastic deal on them. I just want to get them out of my way.

adamgoldberg 03-08-2019 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by sheefo2k (Post 7698071)
I did a little more research last night, I agree with what you said regarding the additional height (1" to 2") and shifting the cylinder pivot point, thus making it harder on the lift to raise the car. I think I will be ordering the 5000 EXT version from the beginning.

Has anyone called QuickJack and asked about this?

daefash 04-15-2019 04:41 PM

Anybody knows which Quickjack work for W221 2012 S550? Would the EXT work or is it too short for the jack points on the S class?

S-Prihadi 04-16-2019 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by daefash (Post 7732800)
Anybody knows which Quickjack work for W221 2012 S550? Would the EXT work or is it too short for the jack points on the S class?

Measure your car jack points/pad distance, like below indicated by red line.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...5dbafc773f.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...6f0b93140d.jpg

For my W212 it is 162cm most outward points of the front and rear jack point/pad rectangular female notch.

Go to here https://www.quickjack.com/quickjack-features.html
The ( i ) I - LIFTING POINT SPREAD is the length you want to know, example my QuickJack is the BL-5000EXT is 167cm ( 1,676 mm ), which is accurate if you see the edges of my quickjack, I still have approx 5cm longer to spare. My car weight is 4,054 pounds with 1/2 fuel, so a 5000 pound model is suitable. Your car weight surely under 5,000 pounds too.

Now, if say BL-5000EXT is too short for you, next size up is the BL-6000XLT. However do measure your car distance clearance between front and rear wheels first, as this quickjack when at rest and not lifting up is longer,
the data is the L - FRAME LENGTH. You need to slide the quickjack under the car before lifting up, so the FRAME LENGTH matters. For my 5000EXT it is 1.95cm, which my W212 has enough distance and fortunately my 2011 Ford Fiesta can use it too. I have to choose a quickjack to fit if possible on all my cars ( under 5,000 lbs ).

Too bad I do not have yet a Ford Fiesta pinch weld jack adapter and I kinda damaged 1 spot ( under body dented/pushed up a few millimeters ) the Fiesta under body a bit when experimenting with quick jack flat rubber block :smash: . I really appreciate Merc having a proper jack point/pads on it. This information is for when you try to jack up other cars with pinch weld and without special adapters and using quickjack.

One more note. QuickJack move the car backwards a bit when lifting up due to the nature of the jacking up using a hydraulic cylinder placed as such an angle, so keep at least 30-40cm clearance at the back of the car when lifting up with another car or garage door close by.

Happy shopping.....

hughjaas 09-19-2019 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by GLENN S. (Post 6817667)
Some people use them sideways also.

I just saw the Quickjack SLX at Costco for $899 today. I have a W219 CLS550 which is very similar to the W211 discussed here so I'm thinking I need the EXT version.
However, you mention people using the QJ sideways which would be a great solution. Would you know if the QJ has a minimum distance for the blocks? I assume the front of my car is much heavier than the back - would there be any balancing issues?

Marcus_K 09-30-2019 11:50 AM

Wheels on/off

Does anyone have any opinions about keeping wheels on or off while having car jacked for a month at a time. I have the 7000 ext for my 19 c43 and was concerned for any potential damage to suspension with wheels just hanging unsupported.
thanks in advance.
-Marcus

Maui5150 10-18-2019 09:12 AM

Good discussion. Have been debating these for a while since I generally do my own oil, wheels and brakes and have been wanting a pit or something similar for years. Do you think the Costco one would work for my '16 GLC300? Still new to Benz so getting handle around all the specs and all.

When I log into the Costco Site, I don't see a specific model listed, but I am assuming it is the SLX

hughjaas 10-23-2019 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Maui5150 (Post 7880764)
Good discussion. Have been debating these for a while since I generally do my own oil, wheels and brakes and have been wanting a pit or something similar for years. Do you think the Costco one would work for my '16 GLC300? Still new to Benz so getting handle around all the specs and all.

When I log into the Costco Site, I don't see a specific model listed, but I am assuming it is the SLX

Yes, Costco sells the SLX. It should work fine with your GLC300. If not, you will need the SUV accessory. The quickjack website has a measurement guide to determine which model you need.

Maui5150 10-24-2019 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by hughjaas (Post 7884790)
Yes, Costco sells the SLX. It should work fine with your GLC300. If not, you will need the SUV accessory. The quickjack website has a measurement guide to determine which model you need.

Looks like Costco sells the 5000 SLX. Really trying to decide if I need the 5000 XLT. Still should be fine with the weight, though unsure if the 7000 would be overkill.

Looks like periodically these go on sale, so may have to watch for those.

I think the 5000 SLX will fit, but the jack points may be real close to the edge.

hughjaas 11-17-2019 09:32 PM

The 5000SLX works sideways on my W219 - barely. The blocks are as far out as they could go. I had to stack 2 blocks at each point so it would clear the exhaust pipes. In order to get 2 blocks to fit I had to drive over some 2x10's and that did the trick. QuickJack had no trouble lifting.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...a1d41b0b2b.jpg

On another note, Costco near me dropped the price down to $799 so they price adjusted. Then a couple weeks ago they dropped it again to $697 but they wouldn't give me another adjustment because they were now on clearance. They might be hard to find now at Costco.

hughjaas 11-27-2019 01:58 AM

QuickJack is having a black friday sale. The extensions are normally $239, but they knocked the price down to $215, but if you use discount code 'OFF15' it brings the price down to $183 + tax and about $11 shipping. Still expensive for what they are but a little more affordable. Their checkout process is very slow though.