Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help finding good mechanic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help finding good mechanic

Hello All,
I have been having some really infuriating problems with the entire vaccum system in my 1983 300D. I have gotten some advice from past threads on this and other forums, but all the adjustment etc. that needs to be done to find the problem is just too much for me right now, and I need to get my car operating decently again. I think I am going to just take it to a mechanic, but I want to find a good one who will really diagnose the problem and fix it well, not just say I need a new modulator, my transmission is shot, etc. Any advice on finding a good quality mechanic? Should I stick to Mercedes Dealerships? Also, are there any questions I should be asking before I let someone work on my car? Thank you so very much.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
The age of your car may make it financially impratical to go to a dealer. Find a good independent shop that is experienced with MB and your model and year. Ask if they have the manuals, experience and special tools required. Also ask what their hourly rate is. With a 1983 vehicle do not be surprised with bad news and large bills. Could cost more than the cars worth to fix, remember the car is 21 years old.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 W163, 84 W123, 03 E39, 98 E39
Where do you live?

Check with other MB owners in the your area for reccomendations. I know the vaccuum can be a pain. I have had three W123 and all had some problems. Most of the time it is a leak somewhere, and it is very painful searching for it.

I have had problems with the stiff plastic vaccuum tube coming from the front of the engine (from the vaccuum pump) to the master brake cylinder. I have had most of my problems with conections in the engine compartment by the firewall. I use silicone cement to try to seal and prevent leaks. I would pull each hard plastic tube from the rubber connector, put a dab of cement on to seal it, and push it back on. I cemented all the connections.

If by chance one of your vaccuum assited door lock mechanisums is broken, then the diaphram in the actuator could be where your leak is.

Good Luck.

Last edited by sph17; 03-12-2004 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-13-2004, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Re: Help finding good mechanic

Originally posted by devin
Hello All,
I have been having some really infuriating problems with the entire vaccum system in my 1983 300D. I have gotten some advice from past threads on this and other forums, but all the adjustment etc. that needs to be done to find the problem is just too much for me right now, and I need to get my car operating decently again. I think I am going to just take it to a mechanic, but I want to find a good one who will really diagnose the problem and fix it well, not just say I need a new modulator, my transmission is shot, etc. Any advice on finding a good quality mechanic? Should I stick to Mercedes Dealerships? Also, are there any questions I should be asking before I let someone work on my car? Thank you so very much.
Check on mercedesshop.com
Old 03-13-2004, 02:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
**SOLD***2003 E500
Devin mercedesshop.com is good for your car as well as this:
http://mail.mercedesmailinglist.com/...tinfo/mercedes

There are some real good people have your same car on the list above. Most of them live and breath the diesels. try them as well for your questions. They should be able to lead you in the right direction.