Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bumper, inside trunk Panel removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz E350 4matic
Bumper, inside trunk Panel removal

Hello MB Drivers,

Cici from Canada!

I drive a 2009 E-350 which I absolutely love, but was rear ended last july. The insurance company strongly suggested I go to one of their preferred vendors, which I did, because it was less processing. They had to repair the bumper and exhaust pipe as well as other parts of the trunk.

Long story short. 9 months later, we had an electrical shortage only to find out the amplifier in the trunk had water damage/corrision due to a leak. The trunk seal was newly replaced and was in excellent condition so the mechanics that I went to now for this new issue, were puzzled. Then one of them noticed that on the body of the car, trunk area near the rear window, the inside panel was missing, what I can only describe is a plastic clip/cover filler (drivers side) which let water into the trunk through the crosslike hole in the panel. The passenger side had the cover/clip so we could see the difference. The clip/cover is not sold separately and one would have to buy the entire panel (part #211-690-32-41-9F08) that runs just below the seal. Not on the trunk door.

We were not happy to find out that the amplifier alone costs $2,500. And I have to add, we never had any issues before this collision so we are assuming that the garage who worked on our car either replaced the panel without that clip or removed the panel to work on the bumper and other areas. And when put back, did not put the cover/clip.

So my question to the forum is this...if the bodyshop were to replace the bumper and some other components near the bumper, would they have to remove or replace that panel in question? Because if so, we are going after them for the $5000 damage resulting from the oversight or neglience on thier part.

Anyone to advise?