Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I pop this button back into place?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 Mercedes-Benz E350 coupe
How can I pop this button back into place?

I had a moment last weekend with my girl and I ended up pounding on my command center a little bit and the hazard switch / seat belt extender combo button ended up popping out of place. It looks like the picture below, but just imagine that the rectangular button is pushed back into the console. It appears nothing is broken as no plastic is damaged, but I am wondering how I can fit the button snugly back into position. Am I going to have to take apart the entire center vent in order to get behind the button? I can grab the button with my nails but I can't get it to click into place. I'd rather not pay someone to fix this becasue it seems like something I could do myself.

I will post another picture later of my car with the button pushed back and out of position.

EDIT: I attached a photo of my current dilemma. Can anyone help me out or advise me what to do?

Last edited by badgerbrownie; 05-08-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:18 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Hey, you use the back seat for that stuff, just make sure her toe mails are trimmed as you don't want to damage the head liner!!
Old 05-09-2017, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 149 Posts
99 E320
i am not familiar with the switch so i am guessing. how about using aluminum foul to shim the sides of the button where the catches are and once you slide the awitch back in, pull the foil out!? post photo of the rear of your switch. that may help
Old 05-09-2017, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 149 Posts
99 E320
Originally Posted by Plutoe
Hey, you use the back seat for that stuff, just make sure her toe mails are trimmed as you don't want to damage the head liner!!
i shouldnt encourage you but i admit i laughed
Old 05-10-2017, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 Mercedes-Benz E350 coupe
I was able to fix it! woohoo!! Someone on reddit had suggested I use some sewing thread and try to catch the back of the button. I aligned it as best I can with my fingers, then I snapped it back into place with the thread!

The following users liked this post:
raymond g- (05-10-2017)