Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

W209 06 CLK 220 CDI AUTO STALLING PROBLEMS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 220 CDI
W209 06 CLK 220 CDI AUTO STALLING PROBLEMS

Hi all,

I was wondering if somebody... anybody... can get to the bottom of the problem I've had with my CLK for around 3 years now?

It's a 2006 220CDI auto 150bhp on around 95k. Ever since I've had the car it has stalled randomly, and nobody can work out what it might be.

Google pointed to the crankshaft position sensor, I've had that replaced and the problem persists. Running the diagnostic prior to replacing this showed an oxygen sensor fault but this cleared when retested after the CPS was replaced.

I have had the auto transmission fluid replaced... no fix!

Some of the symptoms:

The car can go for weeks without stalling then all of a sudden it stalls 5 times on a 15 minute journey.

It seems to stall more frequently on a cold morning when you first start it.

It stalls whilst driving but comes back to life almost immediately when you plant the throttle.

The car always comes back to life when it stalls and the dash lights come on. It has only ever not come back to life once (stopped completely and started again fine)

Sometimes I have to turn the key 4 or 5 times before I get any response from the car, but when the engine turns over it comes to life straight away, sometimes stalling immediately after.

The car suffers from bad fuel economy - around 26mpg average around town, dropping to 22mpg in traffic in the cold, sometimes lower! Struggles to get over 40mpg on the motorway since the CPS replacement, and averages around 30mpg around town now, but it is warm outside and I've not put my foot down for 400 miles since it's replacement...

The car is slow and sluggish and always seems like it struggles, as a yardstick my brother has an 09 220 CDI E Class and his is in a different league in terms of speed and averages around 40mpg.

Any advice would be gratefully received, as nobody I've spoken to can solve the problem and I'm at my wits end!!

Thanks in advance!

Alex