Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help- voltage swing issues

Old 09-20-2017, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 SLK 350
Help- voltage swing issues

Hi all,

I've been having voltage issues with my 2006 SLK 350. First, i must say that there is a brand new battery in the car (<1 year). Also, i just replaced the alternator ~3 weeks ago (refurbished from JC Whitney), which has since made the not-starting issues go away, and the car starts every time now (before the battery would die in a single day). When i put a voltmeter across the battery with the car off, the reading is ~12.4V. When i start the car, the voltage across the battery builds up to ~13.5V or so, then drops down to ~12.3V. While it's sitting there doing this, you can hear the car kind of "rev up" (but not with anyone on the accelerator), then hit a point where you can hear it drop and get quieter- then it just does this over and over. (Slow build up, louder, louder, then hits a wall where the voltage falls and you can hear it do so.)

The other issue we are having is that the radio won't let you change the 'source'... it is stuck on the CD mode. I have read through some forums about guys saying this is a battery feature that if the voltage is not sufficient enough, it will disable car features like this. So i'm hoping it is just related to the voltage issues that i can hopefully easily resolve together.

Please help, this is such a pain.

Thanks!