Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fully manual W124 4Matic?

Old 10-10-2017, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW, Toyota
Fully manual W124 4Matic?

I'm a mechanic, taking a slow rainy day to research a particular fantasy: a W124 with a fully manual 4Matic system (4Manual?). By this I mean...

0. Manual transmission, which is rare but apparently exists in this combination. What's still unclear is the source of hydraulic pressure for the two t-case clutch packs, if there's a manual transmission (I assume the auto transmission's hydraulic pump also powers the t-case).

1. Manual front driveline engagement, via a lever or a simple switch controlling a solenoid. In other words, no computer control. I'd be ok with it being on/off, the center diff either completely disengaged or fully locked.

2. That said, it'd be nice to have further control over the center diff, again via a lever or switch controlled only by the driver, to allow pavement-friendly AWD. My research shows two AWD modes for the early W124 system, 65/35 and 50/50, but is unclear whether either of them actually locks the center diff or allows limited slipping via the clutch pack. I also wonder if allowing only on/off operation, like an old truck's part-time 4WD with no center diff, would solve the clutch pack wear I keep reading about.

3. Manual rear diff lock.

Can it be done? Has it been done? Would I be better off trying to retrofit a G-wagen transfer case instead? Thanks in advance for links and technical answers, not along the lines of "close the hood and just drive the car."