Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 GL W166 Electric Rack Replacement help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Mercedes GL 350
2013 GL W166 Electric Rack Replacement help!

Has anyone replaced an electric rack and pinion from a Mercedes W166 Chassis? Mine is a 2013 GL 350 Please help if you have a manual. I read that you may have to pull the engine for clearance issues on the only other post I can find? Is this true? I have already pulled the front differential out, and pulled the suspension apart, but the Steering input shaft catches on the motor mount or it gets caught on the electric motor on the passenger side. So frustrating. Any techs out there? I ordered manual off eBay but will be a week or so before is shows.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Mercedes GL 350
So those of you that are DIY's, if your rack and pinion fails on the W166 bodies or the belt in the rack fails. The only way I could get it out was to remove the the front differential which requires suspension front suspension work, splitting upper ball joint, and sway bar links to swing axle out. On the passenger side you must remove the axle nut and completely slide axle way back from the hub assembly to slide the axle all the way out the diff. Once you drop the diff, don't forget about the breather hose, you can remove the hardware for the rack and pinion. Then the final step is jacking up the motor and removing the drivers side engine mount. You must do this to clear the steering shaft of the rack. The rack comes out the passenger side, with much twisting, turning, pulling, and swearing. I found removing the passenger side inner tie rod end made it easier. Its a crappy job. And the rack and pinion is mega expensive. I am sure a dealer would charge the earth to do this.