Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M156 Belt Shreds

Old 11-16-2017, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W210 E55 & W204 C63
M156 Belt Shreds

So I had a mechanic install a brand new Oem belt on my ml63. 20 minutes after getting the car back I hear a sudden slapping sound from underneath hood. 1/2 mile down the road while making a turn I realize my power steering is not working because the steering wheel would barely turn. Then seconds later battery low voltage comes on and I realize at that point that my belt must have come off. The only good news is that this happened less than a mile from home.

We checked the lengths before installing, the new belt and it appeared that it was a fraction of an inch shorter than the old one, I really doubt that that would of caused it. What do you guys think, did the mechanic not alight it properly or forgot to tighten something?
Old 11-26-2017, 07:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W210 E55 & W204 C63
Update: Replaced the top left idler pulley and the belt, and it came off AGAIN after driving the car for a few miles, shutting it down, and then starting again. The power steering pump was making some noise and another idler pulley was not spinning as freely. So I ordered a new power steering pump, tensioner, and the two idler pulleys that I have not yet replaced. I really hope that fixes it, as a simple $100 belt job has turned into a $1k+ Belt system overhaul. Also caught the belt slipping off right away last time, it came off the power steering pump first, could that be an indication that the pump is the cause?
Old 11-26-2017, 05:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 C32 AMG...W221 S63...SOLD...W212 E63 CURRENT
The tensioner would make the belt to come off if it’s bad