Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission and HVAC mystery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 mercedes benz 300d
Transmission and HVAC mystery

1985 300D automatic trans om617.952 and automatic climate control.

Basically, with key in the run position the blower motor comes on and climate control works other than some vacuum issues with the dash pods and blend doors, but the transmission will not shift normally, it will go to redline in every gear. If i turn the ignition switch backwards until the climate control shuts off, then it shifts fine. But they will not both function at the same time.

Transmission seems like it forgets how/when to shift when the climate control has power sent to it. Ive replaced the electrical portion of the ignition switch because i assumed it was a culprit and upon visual inspection some of the contacts were just totally fried so i replaced it anyway.

So my question is is there some electrical components i need to chase down? Or are the HVAC leaks probaby robbing all the vacuum from the modulator? I have scoured the internet for anything relatable and only find the normal "how to troubleshoot vacuum leaks, how to adjust/tune transmission". Just looking for how to proceed.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:55 PM

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
2013 W204 C63 AMG, 2008 W221 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by Mpace6b
Or are the HVAC leaks probaby robbing all the vacuum from the modulator?
I would say you are on the right track with this!