Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 C63s – seat belts tighten and it brakes when no one is around, who's driving?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 SL65 & a 2018 C63s
2018 C63s – seat belts tighten and it brakes when no one is around, who's driving?

First, thank you for clicking on my thread, appreciate your help - let me explain what is going on:My Wife has a 2018 C63s and two odd incidents have occurred – the first incident happened when she was stopped at a light in the left turn lane. Light turned green, green arrow for the left turn came on. When she went to accelerate – it felt like she had been rear ended, car abruptly stopped. There were no cars were around her nor anyone in the incoming lanes car felt like it sorta went into limp mode and wouldn’t move, well. She had to put the car in park, turn off the car and re-start it for it to return to normal. Re-starting the car solved the issue, it returned to normal, this happened about 10 days ago.Second time was this past weekend, she was on one of the parkways in our area, and again no one around – traffic about half a mile in front and a about half a mile behind – all of a sudden, the seat belts tighten and car braked hard from around 60 to 30, then returned to normal. No lights, no warnings just like nothing happened, it returned to normal.Wife has over 2000 miles on the car and these incidents just started happening within the past two weeks.Now full disclosure we live in one of the backwards States, in the US, that require a front license tag. The car came without a mounting plate attached to the bumper (and I did not want to drill holes in the bumper) – so I got a tag mount that attaches to the tow hook (passenger side), I angled the plate with the right side more towards the car. (also did this because they run laser in the area and didn’t want to give them a flat surface to shoot at). Bad part is the parking sensor picks up the plate every once and a while not all the time – goes full bars - both yellow and red alert lights, warning buzzer and all. No biggie, really, just ignore it and it stops once we get over 10 mph.Now the car does not have the active cruise control (solid star) so we don’t have the active radar system. But the Wife was scrolling through the menu (located between the two gauges on the dash) and came across – braking assist – which she disabled, as a hard edit on the menu and she also disabled the attention assist another hard edit. Bad part is, even though those were hard edits on the menus - it appears it returns they return to active once the car is shut down and restarted. Is there any way to disable these systems, so they don’t come back on automatically? Now I know several folks have told me to just take off the front tag and place the plate on the dash, inside the windshield. Well I am not liking that idea – in case of an accident a thin piece of metal flying around the cabin, not sure anything good could come of that, plus go around a corner, it could just fly out the window.

If anyone might have a suggestion or a solution to solve these issues it would be greatly appreciated.Thanks,Dave
Old 05-20-2018, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 SL65 & a 2018 C63s
Ok after I thought about this for a while I decided to give up on the tow hook mounted front plate. So what I have done is purchase one of those retractable license plate mounts (off eBay) and mounted it on the drivers side. Now the parking sensor is fine - no more noise and hopefully no more problems with active braking, since it appears the car uses those sensors for the accident avoidance system. The only reason I say that is that it doesn’t appear that there is any other system it could use. Thanks D.