MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   Mercedes Tech Talk (https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-tech-talk-41/)
-   -   Batteries... MB only or aftermarket? (https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-tech-talk/729223-batteries-mb-only-aftermarket.html)

Bdubblu 12-04-2018 07:33 PM

Batteries... MB only or aftermarket?

Can anyone offer a compelling reason to purchase the OEM starter battery and the consumer electronics battery? Or rather a compelling reason why I should not buy aftermarket batteries for the car? I just bought a SL55 and the batteries are spent. Won't hold full charges anymore.

riamga 12-14-2018 08:29 PM

Aftermarket only, MB Battery, NOT

I have a 2019 E300 and the battery in this car is beyond awful, it sucks out loud!
If you want to get yourself a top quality battery, see if Odyssey makes a battery to fit your car. They’re AGM batteries, made in the USA from virgin lead not cheap recycled lead from China. The stock batteries that come with MB’s are the Varda brand and they are the absolute bottom of the barrel, if you get 3 years out of one of their batteries consider that a miracle! Good luck!

ygmn 12-15-2018 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Bdubblu (Post 7621103)
Can anyone offer a compelling reason to purchase the OEM starter battery and the consumer electronics battery? Or rather a compelling reason why I should not buy aftermarket batteries for the car? I just bought a SL55 and the batteries are spent. Won't hold full charges anymore.

go to local auto parts store and buy whatever they have that fits... ask for platinum version which is normally their AGM battery.

ANy battery that lasts 5 years today is a good one and about industry average...
to compare batteries:
Divide price by free replacement warranty in years (not total warranty as the end is prorated) and the one with lower price per year is good value.

remember only 2 or 3 battery manufacturers left in world and they make them for everyone...
Johnson controls is the big boy no the block

CaliBenzDriver 05-15-2019 04:14 PM

the battery in this car is beyond awful... it sucks out loud!

I feel your pain, welcome! Your quote speaks volume.

As far as E-Class battery issues, can you share what's been your experience with your new 2019 E-Class ?
- warning messages: "System Inoperative",
- moody KeylessG, etc...
- any check-engine-light yet ?

Try using the secret "Workshop Menu" to see if your battery gets abused on regular basis (all VIN's are plagued differently)

I think my Varta OEM battery is actually quite good to not give up the ghost quicker.

Knowing these cars can die at freeway speed, I always drive with the battery voltage on my display - (Query the numerous NHTSA reports out of curiosity !!)

Originally Posted by riamga (Post 7630128)

I have a 2019 E300 and the battery in this car is beyond awful, it sucks out loud!
If you want to get yourself a top quality battery, see if Odyssey makes a battery to fit your car. They’re AGM batteries, made in the USA from virgin lead not cheap recycled lead from China. The stock batteries that come with MB’s are the Varda brand and they are the absolute bottom of the barrel, if you get 3 years out of one of their batteries consider that a miracle! Good luck!