MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   Mercedes Tech Talk (https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-tech-talk-41/)
-   -   Disconnecting Oil Pump Solenoid gives me CEL (https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-tech-talk/880988-disconnecting-oil-pump-solenoid-gives-me-cel.html)

JettaRed 01-31-2024 09:20 AM

We understand very little about the logic used to control this solenoid. My concern is that the ECM would detect a malfunction (not an open circuit) that might put the car into limp mode at 3500 rpm if a state change was not detected. That would be different than the P06DA00 DTC.

zk2004mb 01-31-2024 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by JettaRed (Post 8916301)
We understand very little about the logic used to control this solenoid. My concern is that the ECM would detect a malfunction (not an open circuit) that might put the car into limp mode at 3500 rpm if a state change was not detected. That would be different than the P06DA00 DTC.

I don't know how the solenoid works. But when I tested it, the little bead does not move at on/off switch. I can hear the clicking sound from the housing but no visible movement.

JettaRed 01-31-2024 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by zk2004mb (Post 8916339)
I don't know how the solenoid works. But when I tested it, the little bead does not move at on/off switch. I can hear the clicking sound from the housing but no visible movement.

Me, too. I can hear/feel the click when applying 12V, but the bead inside does nothing.

zk2004mb 01-31-2024 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver (Post 8914692)
Good job :y

For all your efforts, besides more responsive accelerator pedal you will also get a better brake pedal.... once things normalize:
  • Cleaner piston rings seal
  • lower idle rpm
  • reduced blow-by pressure
:zoom:

Thank you for your dedicated effort on this topic! I must missed some discussion in the main thread but brake pedal? What's the connection between oil pressure and brake performance?

JettaRed 01-31-2024 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by zk2004mb (Post 8916693)
Thank you for your dedicated effort on this topic! I must missed some discussion in the main thread but brake pedal? What's the connection between oil pressure and brake performance?

M276.9 3.5NA brake response improves with engine oil solenoid defeated - MBWorld.org Forums

CaliBenzDriver 01-31-2024 09:50 PM

UNEQUAL Improvements...

Originally Posted by zk2004mb (Post 8916693)
Thank you for your dedicated effort on this topic!
I must missed some discussion in the main thread but brake pedal?
What's the connection between oil pressure and brake performance?

When unplugging tempering with oily solenoid is when a LOTTERY PLAYS OUT ...

-- if your engine cylinders seal up like new condition over 2000.Mi then you continue to get additional improvements from the great ECU self-adapting by software.

-- else high blow-by keeps plaguing many of your cylinders. Engine uses a lot of oil... trade it or nurse it. I believe it is possible but not straight forward (dirty lambda/cat later).

The connection between brake pedal and the oil pump solenoid is the high crankcase blow-by that spoils the vacuum booster assist.

Loose bangers yield regular poor brakes!
Sealed cylinders yields responsive pedals!!

If you get stucks with a short stick then research piston rings cleanings...

JettaRed 02-01-2024 11:46 AM

No more P06DA00!

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...0ee971c06b.png
Decoy Solenoid connected to wiring harness.

JettaRed 02-03-2024 11:37 AM

Probably just my imagination, but the low-end torque seems to be improved again with the Decoy Solenoid. Tires tend to spin too easily when making a turn with a little gas.

kevm14 02-03-2024 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by JettaRed (Post 8918094)
Probably just my imagination, but the low-end torque seems to be improved again with the Decoy Solenoid. Tires tend to spin too easily when making a turn with a little gas.

You mean because you disabled your solenoid again? Or going from unplugged to decoy you noticed a change?? I would agree, I don't think that's possible.

JettaRed 02-03-2024 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by kevm14 (Post 8918201)
You mean because you disabled your solenoid again? Or going from unplugged to decoy you noticed a change?? I would agree, I don't think that's possible.

Unplugged to adding the Decoy.

Meh, I agree. Don't know why it would make a difference unless P06DA00 affected how the ECU controlled engine performance.

vich3 02-07-2024 06:42 PM

Pulled the plug

Pulled the plug from the solenoid on my 2014 E550 Cab.
no CEL and E - economy mode feels like Sport mode now. Sooooo responsive and more fun to drive not to mention the better protection with increased lubrication!!!!
Great work @CaliBenzDriver and @S-Prihadi
you guys ROCK!!!!

CaliBenzDriver 02-07-2024 07:41 PM

carbonated stuck rings... JOURNEY 🤞

Originally Posted by vich3 (Post 8920519)
Pulled the plug from the solenoid on my 2014 E550 Cab.
no CEL and E - economy mode feels like Sport mode now. Sooooo responsive and more fun to drive not to mention the better protection with increased lubrication!!!!

Great work @CaliBenzDriver and @S-Prihadi
you guys ROCK!!!!

I could not agree more - Thank you for the research team :love:

Unplugging is only the 1st step on a journey to heal your engine blow-by condition... created by limited oil pump pressure. 👏

> INDIVIDUALITY:
-- Each cylinder is injected with its own tailored gasoline quantity, not controlled by bank but by individual cylinder. That's a Bosch luxury!👏

-- Right now the way each cylinder is contributing with it's dry friction and stuck rings is matched as well. This helps detune the performance towards weaknesses.

-- Be on the lookout for sharp brake pedal improvements as a result of minimal crankcase pressure.

-- Be also on the look out for increased oil consumption while the rings are still stuck. Perhaps consider going to W-50 temporarily until rings can seal - At any rate you do have more power BUT your cylinders are still imbalanced and need mileage to improve with cleanup.

-- The engine super-heat should get reduced promptly with lubricated cylinders (duh :D) - ECU is relearning to control thermostat and PWM blower for better temperature profile.
Ridiculousy high heatsoaks will become things of the past. As a result chassis will stop smelling like an active coolant leak from high pressure.

-- The cold start high idle is going to get shorter. When that sows up will be a good sign EVU is noticing engine improvements.

-- The engine rattlesnake injection will eventually shift to a not rattling injection mode.

-- The tranny is going to work with smoother engine mixtures to shift in much improved predictible ways.

Little by little, gear-1 as well as gear-2 useage is going to get extended in a good ways when tranny-engine really work with each other to shift gears.

Expect circulated engine oil to stop getting burned black and hold its proper W-40 viscosity.

--> NOT everything is going to act brand new with normal oil pressure right away !!!
- Dirty lambda may or may not clean up (replace).
- Limp chain tensioners will benefit from pressure (replace).
- VVT locks were abused by low pressure.
- Toasted CPS may need one last replacement.

*** A Look At The Camshaft Rattling ***

I define rattling as unlocked VVT gear going back and forth. However clearly note that limp tensioners can rattle lightly as well.

> RATTLING CAUSES:
The source of this is the camshaft being driven forwards by the valve train itself.
The camshaft is rushed ahead of its timing gear position using any available chain slack.

Loose chain slack can be from limp tensioner and/or from unlocked VVT gear that allows camshaft to rotate forward.

It is super important for this NOT to happen in this GDI engine. This messes up the engine timing and the ECU adaptations maps of fuel pump. The HPFP pressure control valve is timing dependant.

To have your engine timed properly the tensioner needs to be low mileage (60kMi) to have minimal shaft leakage.

> LISTEN UP!
You can hear the smoothness of the engine working. If you can hear recuring timing variations, they are from the camshaft working loose tensioners.

> Bank1 vs. bank2:
Bank1 intake camshaft drives a heavy load of a single or twin HPFP lobes. The other camshafts have an easier task.
As a result most of the repair work concentrates on Bank1 intake side. Bank2 tensioner is replaced for good measure to help balance the engine.

Imagine how low oil pressure loosens tensioner and locked VVT... Then imagine when just enough pressure unlocks VVT....

JettaRed 02-08-2024 02:39 PM

Ok, here's the solenoid for my other car (once I get it back). I sealed off the open part with heat shrink and clear RTV.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...5139111f96.png
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...ef68b7b0c8.png