MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   Mercedes Tech Talk (https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-tech-talk-41/)
-   -   Relevant information please! (https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-tech-talk/89906-relevant-information-please.html)

saturnstyl 11-26-2004 10:47 PM

Relevant information please!

When asking a question or seeking guidance from our helpful friends here in the tech forum, please include the following:
Vehicle Make - e.g. Mercedes Benz
Vehicle Model- e.g. E-320, ML-430, S600, etc....
Vehicle Year- 1999, 2000, 2001 so forth and so on....
Options the vehicle has- e.g. parktronic, comand, cd changer, distronic, ESP, manual or auto transmission, aftermarket add ons....
Approximate mileage- e.g. 32,000 miles

Mercedes has a wide variety of models and they are NOT all the same. We cannot read your mind. It is not painfully obvious to us what kind of car you drive.

Describe the problem accurately and thoroughly.
*Tell us when the problem occurs e.g. Cold start up, warm start, driving at a given speed, pulling up to a stop sign, going over a bump, etc...
* Describe any noises, e.g. Banging, thumping,whining, squeaking, rattling, crunching, explosion, etc...
* Is there an associated vibration or shaking? How severe?
* Are any malfunction lamps illuminated? Blinking perhaps? What exactly does the instrument cluster display say? Red screen, yellow, white?
* When the vehicle is started, does it crank at a normal speed, a slow speed, or a fast speed? (remember cranking refers to having the key turned to the start position, the engine is turning but has not started yet)
* In case of engine not starting, tell us if the engine will crank, or if nothing happens at all when the key is turned. Do the lights dim? Do you hear a loud clicking sound?
* What gear is the transmission in? e.g. P, R, N, D, L, 1, 2, etc...
* Is the transmission in W mode, C mode, S mode, M mode?
* Is there an unusual odor present?
* Did the item in question stop working suddenly, or did it get worse over time?
* What color is the fluid leaking out of your car? Watery or oily? Odor? (apply fluid to white paper if in doubt about color)
* Is it leaking from the front, middle, or rear of the car? Which side?
* Have you made any changes to the car recently? Has it been serviced or repaired recently? What did they do?
*What was the weather like when you experienced this problem? Has there been a sudden change in weather? 98 degrees? farenhieght or celcius? Raining, snowing, clear? Catastrophic hurricane?

Thank you for your cooperation. :wall:

E=MC^2 08-23-2007 04:17 AM

i have some quesions and concerns.....help please

i have a 1994 c280 it has a 6 disc cd changer and around 140000 miles, it has a few problems. it idles like **** it revs like crazy usually after ive driven for a few minutes and come to a stop sign are are ideling for a few seconds. sometimes it even dies on me but its random sometimes it runs totally fine, it doesnt usually die but sometimes like once a month it does happen i have no idea what could be causing it.........any ideas?? oh and if i slip it into neutral it revs but stays above 6k rpms and hasnt ever died when i do that. when it is in drive and revs it usually goes up to 10k rpms then down to 5k and kicks back up to 10 it does this untill the rpms drop too low and the car dies or untill i drive off then its fine it does rev and drop low while im driving too like i push the pedal and it doesnt accelerate for a second or ill be at a constant speed and it will slip up then go back to normal. im not sure if this has anything to do with this but when i accelerate i her a noise coming from my gear box like a spinning kind of grinding or moving noise.

also i want to modify it with an underbody led kit(purple)and a body kit but i cant find any body kits that arnt stock. i dont want a racing style kit more of a boxy looking one if you know what i mean, like low and square not so curvy and aerodynamic. any info on any of this will be much appreciated .

-Brian:confused:

tbjcc001 04-30-2008 10:44 PM

420sel Crank Nostart

Hey Buddy:
1986 420sel 177k Crank - Nostart condition present!

Problem started with cutoff when at Stop! Restarts & drives fine, then cuts off at stop again!!! Suspect FUEL PUMP RELAY! Jumped Fuel Pump & started okay! Idle fine!!

Replaced FP-Relay w/ good used, now won't crank & has heavier than normal fuel smell present!! Cranked until battery now completely discharged.

Suspect CPS Sensor & am willing to replace along with TDC Sensor but, NEED VALUED OPINION 1st!!!! No SHOP Diag TOOLS available. Using DMM, Test-Light, Vacuum Gauge(s)......

Plugs New
Wires New
Cap & Rotor New
Temp Sensor (2-Pole) New
OVP & 10Amp Fuse (Replaced w/ good used)
Idle Control Unit Good (Replaced w/ good used)
Idle Control Valve Good
Fuel Pumps (both) New
Fuel Filter New
Fuel Pump Relay (Replaced with GOOD USED)
Vacuum Leak(s) Corrected

Opinions & Suggestions please............
RSVP,
TErryJ

mbwhat 05-08-2010 12:36 PM

the c280 sounds like it needs a mass air very common especially after they get warmed up

maxcichon 05-25-2010 08:11 AM

I am in need of a Stromburg carb for a 1975 (W115?) 4 cylinder MB 230. Where to look? Rebuild services? Would anyone please point me in a good direction?

Thanks.

jamesdenoil 09-15-2012 04:04 AM

polo

i need to buy a car, Volkswagen polo. i want to know about engine capacity ?

VikingBattleram 10-10-2012 12:06 AM

I have a 1995 c280 sport with close to 270 000km on her. My problem only begins when I'm stopped at a stop light/sign for an extended time. What happens is that my car will be fine just waiting for the light to change then it will start to growl at me then the whole car will begin to shake like a wild animal. If i put it in neutral while that happens it takes a bit but then it clears up and when I begin to drive after that wild animal thing happens it also takes a bit to clear up and then she is fine. I have no idea what is causing this any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Could it possibly be one of my 3 ignition coils(3 coils feed 6 plugs)? Or couldit be one of my plug wires?

Additional information:(may not be useful)

I've had the wiring harness checked and it still seams like new.
I have changed all 6 of my spark plugs.
I have had my starter motor changed.

Pedro P. Cabal 04-22-2013 03:16 PM

I have a '07 230C and an '10 300C (and a couple more oldies) and many times when starting cold they will make a short-span knocking sound. It sounds like a crankshaft's piston bearing not getting enough oil pressure or the chain tensioner not getting enough oil pressure. I make a point of using full synthetic Mobil 1, 0W-40 (as the MB Factory recommends) and I believe it has made a difference. I surmise that the damage, although not deadly, could be irreversible. The authorized dealers, I believe, do not use this oil (but they sell it over the counter) and might be underestimating the Factory's recommendation; it might not be a bulk commodity like the 5W-40 or 10W-50 or similar. The V-8's and V-12's do not appear to be affected that much although I have seen unusally early (approx 25k miles) lifter's noise which I have attribute to this same inconsistency.
Thank you for the opportunity to express my concerns,
Pablo

ntshuma75 09-23-2013 06:54 AM

I have a continuous ESP sign that keeps flashing on the dashboard

Good friends,

I need your help I have a Merc C200 Kompressor, auto transmission an it is giving me a flashing ESP notice on my dashboard. This has been going on for the past two days. At times when Im driving it I here a sudden strange noise that causes the car to jerk. Pliz help Im clueless as to what maybe wrong

ntshuma75 09-23-2013 07:52 AM

Help! Im sing a flashing continuous ESP Sign

Good day

I drive a Mercedes C 200 Kompressor 2001 year model W203 body type and 111 Engine. Its also an auto transmission vehicle. My problem is this, the car started showing a flashing ESP notice four days ago and as I was driving back home from work, I heard a loud rattling sound followed by jerking of the vehicle, I was driving at an average speed of 80km per hour. This morning as I was driving back to work I sensed a funny smell but could not place where it was coming from. The ESP notice is still flashing...Please help, I'm so stressed and I need information urgently

Steven.New 11-02-2013 03:08 PM

2002 C320 fuel pump has no power

2002 C320 wife drove to the store came out it would not start getting no fuel so was going to try replace the fuel pump checked the relay and fuse both are good. Took out the fuel pump and bench tested just for fun and it worked great went back to the car and getting no power to the pump??? What am I missing please help!!!!

pookieelliot 11-17-2013 08:34 PM

I have a 2001 s500 benz dashboard is reafing Low beam lamp out but I have blue hid lights as well as white for highbeam which one do I order?and what is model number please>

Steve Z 08-24-2014 07:16 PM

E 320 Wagon 1998 electrical issues

I am looking for some assistance. My wagon has approx 200,000 km. Light bulbs need replacing frequently. Rear window stopped working a number of years ago. Recently, controls on passenger seat and horn stopped working. Today, drove approx 5 km, heavy rain conditions, arrived at destination and rear fog lamp indicator light was on (lights were in off position) and running lights would not turn off. (I heard a noise in the light switch region on my drive to location.) Tried to start the car and it was dead. Left it for 5 to 10 min and the car started. Drove it home, running lights still would not turn off. Turned the light switch to high beams and fog light (green) turned off but turned on again when switched to off position. Disconnected battery and there it sits.

Prior to this car occassionally has trouble starting, will not turn over but eventually will, sometimes when car is cold, other times after just stopping from being driven. Recently creaking noise when turning steering wheel and occassional whooshing noise when car is stopped or moving. Replaced battery last winter , even after battery replaced had one occassion where car went dead after starting and driving 10 km!

Transmission needed replacing with less than 100,000.....Time for new vehicle?

b.hansen 12-17-2014 08:37 AM

Timing chain noise

I am from Denmark and is new here. I have a questian to all you frends here.
I have a MB C 320 CDI from 2006 and I can hear som ratling noise from the timing thain, when the motor is running at 700 rpm. When I rise the rpm to about 1600 to 1800 then the noise disapears. Is that a problem I can live with or is it a problem I have to do somthing about.
Regards Bjarne.

nozepkr 01-15-2015 04:56 AM

mb 1984 560sel/500sel 126 5.. asp

starts cold hardstart hot now trying to die out does if accelerate kept going when let up on accelerator 17 mi no die tried to stall several times this way been sitting stealing gas now redoing filters and maintenance hope this cures it any suggestions appreciated

simon0000 02-01-2015 06:02 PM

please help guys, c180 2003 auto komp 86,000miles juddering/maf?

I recently purchased the c180 kompressor 2003 auto after it being sat on a drive for 12month+. There has been a number of issues resulting in me fitting new battery and new alternator. Problem solved.

Now there seems to be a judder when idling. When its driving it seems fine but sometimes stalls, especially when steering on full lock. Also when in reverse sometimes the revs go up and down.

The warning on the dash "coolant visit workshop" shows up after 3-4 seconds of the engine being turned on.

A friend plugged the car into the bosch diagnostic system and did a full scan. There was numerous faults that it showed.

I have replaced the brass temperature sensor to the left hand side of the engine at the top and also the spark plugs.
I was told to replace the coil pack on number 1cylinder but unsure which is number 1.

Just had car out on road with M.A.F. sensor unplugged, no stalling, no juddering and smooth idle. would this therefore be the maf (air sensor) be the issue?

Any help would be much appreciated.. Thanks in advance.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...f53fce02a4.jpg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...13ab2de05c.jpg

dunsum 11-18-2015 07:56 AM

Now that I have the guide lines

now that I have the guidelines I'll do my best to give you the info needed. I own A 2000 Mercedes E320 (with the AMG package) and 5 speed automatic transmission it has just over 200,00 miles on it and before I washed my only key in the washing machine it ran great. As you can guess it ruined the FOB. Instead of taking my car to the dealer like I was supposed to I trusted it with a local locksmith and now when I start my car a number of things are wrong. My instrument cluster does not work, The radiator fan runs loudly and continuously, It shifts hard and the center counsel does not light up when I turn on the lights. Also all the brake warning lights as well as the check engine light stays on. It seems like it does run faster but not better by far. I get a display defective error message when I start her up too the one with the lightning bolt. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

qpr373 08-25-2017 04:19 AM

TECH NICELY EXPLAINED

THANKS FOR THE GUIDE LINES

BenzNinja 12-05-2020 06:47 PM

:zoom:

JettaRed 12-22-2023 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by saturnstyl (Post 940707)
When asking a question or seeking guidance from our helpful friends here in the tech forum, please include the following:
Vehicle Make - e.g. Mercedes Benz
Vehicle Model- e.g. E-320, ML-430, S600, etc....
Vehicle Year- 1999, 2000, 2001 so forth and so on....
Options the vehicle has- e.g. parktronic, comand, cd changer, distronic, ESP, manual or auto transmission, aftermarket add ons....
Approximate mileage- e.g. 32,000 miles

Mercedes has a wide variety of models and they are NOT all the same. We cannot read your mind. It is not painfully obvious to us what kind of car you drive.

Describe the problem accurately and thoroughly.
*Tell us when the problem occurs e.g. Cold start up, warm start, driving at a given speed, pulling up to a stop sign, going over a bump, etc...
* Describe any noises, e.g. Banging, thumping,whining, squeaking, rattling, crunching, explosion, etc...
* Is there an associated vibration or shaking? How severe?
* Are any malfunction lamps illuminated? Blinking perhaps? What exactly does the instrument cluster display say? Red screen, yellow, white?
* When the vehicle is started, does it crank at a normal speed, a slow speed, or a fast speed? (remember cranking refers to having the key turned to the start position, the engine is turning but has not started yet)
* In case of engine not starting, tell us if the engine will crank, or if nothing happens at all when the key is turned. Do the lights dim? Do you hear a loud clicking sound?
* What gear is the transmission in? e.g. P, R, N, D, L, 1, 2, etc...
* Is the transmission in W mode, C mode, S mode, M mode?
* Is there an unusual odor present?
* Did the item in question stop working suddenly, or did it get worse over time?
* What color is the fluid leaking out of your car? Watery or oily? Odor? (apply fluid to white paper if in doubt about color)
* Is it leaking from the front, middle, or rear of the car? Which side?
* Have you made any changes to the car recently? Has it been serviced or repaired recently? What did they do?
*What was the weather like when you experienced this problem? Has there been a sudden change in weather? 98 degrees? farenhieght or celcius? Raining, snowing, clear? Catastrophic hurricane?

Thank you for your cooperation. :wall:

I ask that people also post their question is the proper forum for their car or topic AND identify where they are located.

W205C43PFL 12-23-2023 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by JettaRed (Post 8896482)
I ask that people also post their question is the proper forum for their car or topic AND identify where they are located.

I also don't understand why OP's thread isn't sticky across all sub-forums. This helps us identify and help forum members with issues, if they post all the details. The main issue I found on the forums is that people ask questions with titles irrelevant to the question and/or ask about noise issues without having a recording of the noise (specifically ones that can be picked up by the camera and not the faint ones), ask about missing pieces or broken pieces, parts without uploading a picture, etc. etc.