ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

What did you pay for car starter and 2nd key?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 ML63 AMG
What did you pay for car starter and 2nd key?

The dealer has alerted me that due to the complex wiring in the ML, that the cost of a car starter installed is around $2000. Have others paid around this amount. I live in a cold climate so a car starter is a good thing.

Additionally, curious if owners receive 1 or 2 car keys when purchased new. I only recieved 1, but I am the 2nd owner, and was told the cost of a 2nd key is $1200. Again, looking for the experiences of others.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:59 AM
Jo

2011 ML63
have you seen this? http://smartkeystarter.com/
Old 12-29-2011, 11:41 AM

2007 ML63 AMG
Originally Posted by Jo
have you seen this? http://smartkeystarter.com/
No I have not - thank you very much! I see my local audio/car starter installer FX Audio is an authorized dealer, so will have a chat with them about this.

I was a bit depressed about the whole starter thing as a dealer I had talked to told me that the factory warranty was automatically voided if a car starter was installed. Good thing I have an aftermarket warranty due to the car`s age!

Just curious, do you have one installed, and if so, are you happy with how it is working? I worry about messing up this great machine.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK320, ML550, SL55, GL450
I bought a 2nd key for my 08 ml550 for about $225 USD from the Bellingham MB dealer.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:40 PM
Jo

2011 ML63
Originally Posted by scyukon
No I have not - thank you very much! I see my local audio/car starter installer FX Audio is an authorized dealer, so will have a chat with them about this.

I was a bit depressed about the whole starter thing as a dealer I had talked to told me that the factory warranty was automatically voided if a car starter was installed. Good thing I have an aftermarket warranty due to the car`s age!

Just curious, do you have one installed, and if so, are you happy with how it is working? I worry about messing up this great machine.
I dont personally have it. I do have the drone on my other SUV that I use in the winter.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:58 PM

2007 ML63 AMG
Originally Posted by B-tsai
I bought a 2nd key for my 08 ml550 for about $225 USD from the Bellingham MB dealer.
I did some checking with local dealers and managed to get a price of 298 Cdn, so much happier with that amount. Hopefully there is no charge for programming or anything else required on top of it (other that good old 5% GST of course - that never goes away).
Old 01-18-2012, 08:21 PM

N/A\
I did some checking with local dealers and managed to get a price of 298 Cdn, so much happier with that amount. Hopefully there is no charge for programming or anything else required on top of it (other that good old 5% GST of course - that never goes away).
I believe they charge labour for programming, unless your dealer is nice and does it for free
Old 01-18-2012, 11:03 PM

2007 ML63 AMG
Originally Posted by KINGB
I believe they charge labour for programming, unless your dealer is nice and does it for free
Indeed, I did get lucky. The gent at the parts counter told me it may or may not be programmed. I went out and tried out the lock and unlock feature, it worked, and the vehicle started up with the new key.

So I was very happy about that as I did not want to have to book an appointment and come back and pay for an hours labor to punch in some codes or whatever happens....

The money I save there will have to be put to a car starter at some point in time. Everywhere I turn, the price is $2000 minimum. I am wondering if this is a local thing, or just a Mercedes thing.

And one other item I had not thought about, but I really should have to begin with is that I went out and bought a Bel GX65 radar detector, before I get thrown in jail. I have never had a vehicle hit a very high speed so effortlessly. So I thought before I paid for the price of a radar in tickets and demerits, I may as well be proactive and purchase one, so I did. I am sure that will be $700 well spent!
Old 01-19-2012, 01:44 AM

N/A\
Indeed, I did get lucky. The gent at the parts counter told me it may or may not be programmed. I went out and tried out the lock and unlock feature, it worked, and the vehicle started up with the new key.

So I was very happy about that as I did not want to have to book an appointment and come back and pay for an hours labor to punch in some codes or whatever happens....

The money I save there will have to be put to a car starter at some point in time. Everywhere I turn, the price is $2000 minimum. I am wondering if this is a local thing, or just a Mercedes thing.

And one other item I had not thought about, but I really should have to begin with is that I went out and bought a Bel GX65 radar detector, before I get thrown in jail. I have never had a vehicle hit a very high speed so effortlessly. So I thought before I paid for the price of a radar in tickets and demerits, I may as well be proactive and purchase one, so I did. I am sure that will be $700 well spent!
Good to hear that your key came already programmed. Otherwise it would have most likely taken a max of 10mins to program but the Stealer would charge a min of 1 hour labour

Indeed it will, radar is a must!!
Old 01-21-2012, 02:00 AM

2001 ML55 AMG (Silver)
Ive heard of problems doing remote starters on a benz. Can I just install an aftermarket remote starter on my 01 ML55 AMG?
Old 01-28-2012, 10:07 PM

2007 ML63 AMG
Originally Posted by big dogger
Ive heard of problems doing remote starters on a benz. Can I just install an aftermarket remote starter on my 01 ML55 AMG?
One dealer I talked to told me because of how complicated it was that it was to do that it would void their honoring the factory warranty if someone put one on.

I check with my stereo/audio shop though, and he has done quite a few ML63s with no problem. His price was $2000 as well though, so that is consistent amongst shops in town who do the install.

Still have not pulled the trigger, not sure I will. Vehicle won't see outside for very long ever, so questioning the need.