ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

New owner of a ML55 AMG have some New owner questions :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 02:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 ML55 AMG
Exclamation New owner of a ML55 AMG have some New owner questions :)

1st off I am more of a BMW person but I got a killer deal on this ML55 AMG so I thought what the hell.

Ok I have a few concerns so far I went to fill up the washer Reservoir and notice its leaking from the bottom ... ? Maybe a hose or cracked? Common?

Also MANY bulbs seem to be burned out The control center for the windows and all of that stuff does not light up? can bulbs be replaced on that? In addition to the Climate control control do not light up? Bulb issue? can they be replaced?

One cluster bulb seems to be out as well near the tach Common? Bulb replacement?

Can not program the keyfobs for like life of me ... i have followed directions to the tea and when pressing ther last button to save settings it Acknowledges that last press by unlocking or locking the car but after that nothing nothing unlocks or locks ... very weird? Common?

Also Driver Door latch does not lock tho i hear the motor in there when using the center command button for locking and unlocking. In other words I cant lock the car. Not even manually if i get out and use the key on the driver door it just turns and the latch goes down but does not stay down pops back up when releasing the key and taking it out. All odd quarky issues tho they do not sound serious... let me know if you have any advice. Thank you all in advance
Old 10-24-2013, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
SLS AMG | S65 AMG | GL550
I picked mine up not too long ago and had a lot of the problems you are describing.

As for as the bulbs go - I had one out where the 'clock' is below the tach. I thought it was a dead LCD display, but it was simply the bulb.

The window switches in the center are all one piece - I'm not sure if you can replace the bulbs, but the whole unit is not very expensive. I had one switch broken but had to replace the entire unit. I think it was less than $200.

I am not sure about programming the keyfob - I ordered a new key for my truck and the dealer took 3 days to program it. They sent one key back to MB and had to order another one. At first they blamed my truck but then they admitted it was a bad keyfob.

The door latch was something I didn't expect to be so expensive. I had to replace 3/4 of them. The drivers side was a big ticket item - the other ones not so much. I think $600 for the driver and $200 for the rest. I had the same issue with mine - could not even lock manually.

Good luck!

Erik
Old 08-02-2017, 11:08 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
2006 CLS55AMG & 2005 S55AMG
The dealer will kill you {$$$ wise} to repair your car. They are parts changers, too. I just had a new ABC pump and front block done on my '05 S55 AMG. Cost me $1400 for parts and labor. Bought the parts {rebuilt parts} on Ebay and the indy repair shop chagred me $800 to install them. Indy did my radiator {with a Bher radiator} for $600. Find a good indy shop and buy your own parts on the net or Ebay. If you got the kinda money to let the dealer fix your stuff, go lease a new Benz.

Last edited by hvacdude; 08-02-2017 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:38 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
2006 CLS55AMG & 2005 S55AMG
Your ML 55

The washer pumps leak on Benz's. They are cheap, $20 or so. Also it sounds like a part of your door lock linkage came apart, like a linkarm came out of it's socket. Take the door panel off and check it out. Use a zip tie to keep it in place if it came out of it's socket. Search the forums specific to your car. You will most likley find threads about the same issues you have, and the solutions to them. Check the connector plug on the master window switch, there are a few bulbs in there, I doubt all of them are bad, but it is possible. On the W220 there are bulbs for the interior door handles that burn out because they were spec'd wrong. Check all the fuses first. Also the main wire harness to the doors can get broken wires, over time, from years of opening and closing the doors. Harness connectors can get corroded too. Cluster bulbs burning out are common on all cars. Pull 'em out and look at the fillament, make sure it's not broken. Learn how to use a volt meter. Find the wire diagram, find the wire that feeds the thing that does'nt work, see if there is voltage on that wire. No voltage, keep tracing the power supply back. If you have voltage, then it's a bad part. it's not that hard, but it is time consuming. You can get used parts cheap on Ebay. I bet you could get a used window switch cluster for $20 on Ebay. Does your ML have the kompressor engine ? What year is it ?
Old 06-13-2018, 03:12 PM

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts
17' C43 Coupe

Last edited by ShazV6; 06-13-2018 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Wrong section
Old 06-19-2018, 12:10 AM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
R230
The suspension issue sounso like the toe is out for spec.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:27 AM

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts
GLE63S 2016
Beautiful new GT! Well done! Hope you enjoy as much as I do! Seats take time to adjust, but take your time. It’s worth it.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C320 wagon 325XI wagon
A reverse MB mentality situation for NON-MB to undertake....Use your own common sense with regard to mechanical servicing...including auto transmission, engin, brake flush...vacuum systems and their leaks......