W166 ML63 Regrets... - MBWorld.org Forums

Notices
ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) Discuss the ML55 AMG and ML63 AMG.

W166 ML63 Regrets...

Old 06-16-2015, 06:41 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
iconoclast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: In, Out & Around...
Posts: 498
Thanked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Audi BMW MB & RR...
W166 ML63 Regrets...

For those of you who have owned your ML63 for some time... Do you regret the purchase? What do you not like about the vehicle and what have you loved about it?
iconoclast is offline  
Old 06-16-2015, 08:48 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 286
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
1994 S420 RIP (2/8/13), 06 CLS55, 02 ML55, 94 TT Supra, 89 Maserati 228, 911 Porsche Carerra
Mine is an '02 ML55 and I have no regrets except possibly not buying it sooner. The truck is amazingly fast relatively trouble free as long as you properly maintain it and as Lennon/McCartney said it "carries that weight" and "in style" I might add.
vvrjrlaw is offline  
Old 06-16-2015, 10:34 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 285
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
E class
had an 03 163 body and it was great
recently bought a W166 ML63 thus far best SUV i've owned no rattles or squeaks
ride is better overall and the car is just silly fast in stock form
tune and it's gonna out run most anything on the street
have fun b safe!!
Fly by night is offline  
Old 06-16-2015, 11:07 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
iconoclast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: In, Out & Around...
Posts: 498
Thanked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Audi BMW MB & RR...
I am not sure I would get a tune or Brabus exhaust despite the amount of fun it would yield.
I had an X5M and it was completely uncivilized and unbearable in city traffic after Active Autowerke Tune & DP.
iconoclast is offline  
Old 06-16-2015, 11:28 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 285
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
E class
no need for exhaust on W166
do a resonator delete adds some growl and a tune
will cost you less than $1250 total! will be a perfect DD
tune from OE or Eurocharged they run specials every few months
good luck
Fly by night is offline  
Old 06-16-2015, 11:46 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
iconoclast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: In, Out & Around...
Posts: 498
Thanked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Audi BMW MB & RR...
not sure the end result with this vehicle but i've noticed on other vehices that res-delete typically results in louder WOT exhaust note but a lot more drone in the cabin especially at highway speeds.

either way despite possible modifications or upgrades what is the overall opinion of the vehicle itself?
i can't find anything on carbon build-up or excessive maintenance so i assume those are positive notes but any other issues?
rattles? creaks? leaks? squeaks?
electrical gremlins?
engine woes?
iconoclast is offline  
Old 06-16-2015, 11:53 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 285
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
E class
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
not sure the end result with this vehicle but i've noticed on other vehices that res-delete typically results in louder WOT exhaust note but a lot more drone in the cabin especially at highway speeds.

either way despite possible modifications or upgrades what is the overall opinion of the vehicle itself?
i can't find anything on carbon build-up or excessive maintenance so i assume those are positive notes but any other issues?
rattles? creaks? leaks? squeaks?
electrical gremlins?
engine woes?
W166 should be under factory warranty??
i haven't found any gremlins and resonator delete is the way to go have same set up on SL
skip exhaust and down pipes

no drone with res delete in cabin
sounds factory till you get on it and at hwy speed it's just like stock. i'm just suggesting this if you wish for a more throaty sound
a good/fair muffler shop should charge you less than $200 for this. the truck is amazingly quick stock if you wish to keep it that way without a few inexpensive mods of ecu tune and res delete.

Last edited by Fly by night; 06-17-2015 at 12:14 AM.
Fly by night is offline  
Old 06-17-2015, 12:35 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
iconoclast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: In, Out & Around...
Posts: 498
Thanked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Audi BMW MB & RR...
it is under warranty but i don't want to spend time going back and forth for issues even if i am not paying for them.

i appreciate the help. if it does not create drone or change low rpm volume i will look into it. i have to pretend i am a conservative sensible father when i pull up to the schools, swim meets & family events. can't have this thing sound like i am an extra from fast and furious or coming back from a D1 event.
iconoclast is offline  
Old 06-17-2015, 06:48 PM
  #9  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 956
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mercedes Evo II
Originally Posted by Fly by night View Post
had an 03 163 body and it was great
recently bought a W166 ML63 thus far best SUV i've owned no rattles or squeaks
ride is better overall and the car is just silly fast in stock form
tune and it's gonna out run most anything on the street
have fun b safe!!


Well done you sumed it all up extremely well

My only complains are: brabus exhaust should be standard, the steering stiffness should be adjustable manually, more options from the AMG studio.

Otherwise, incredible SUV really incredible what AMG have managed to built very impressive even on a track lol
EVOII_Racer is offline  
Old 06-28-2015, 05:34 PM
  #10  
Junior Member
 
executive13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
2014 ML63
Resonator delete just causes exhaust vibration and noises. I'm SOOOO happy I got new exhaust with the resonators intact. You couldn't pay me enough to remove them again. But there is no drone in the cabin.
executive13 is offline  
Old 06-28-2015, 06:16 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 285
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
E class
Sorry i'll disagree 100%, perhaps the shop you did yours at didn't know what they were doing as the sound is great, zero vibration and no drone inside car with any res deletes i've done.
I have done delete in four different BENZ vehicles and i know probably 15-20 owners who have done res delete who feel the same.
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.

Last edited by Fly by night; 06-28-2015 at 06:30 PM.
Fly by night is offline  
Old 06-28-2015, 09:54 PM
  #12  
Junior Member
 
executive13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
2014 ML63
Originally Posted by Fly by night View Post
Sorry i'll disagree 100%, perhaps the shop you did yours at didn't know what they were doing as the sound is great, zero vibration and no drone inside car with any res deletes i've done.
I have done delete in four different BENZ vehicles and i know probably 15-20 owners who have done res delete who feel the same.
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.
You disagree 100%? I am telling you FACTS of what I observed. SOOO happy my resonators are back in. SHow me where I said there I said there was drone. I NEVER said that. And yes you WILL get vibration. Thats also a FACT!!! Since when does an exhaust shop no know what they are doing to remove a resonator and replace it with straight pipe? Is that everyones excuse on this forum when people have problems? No it was done correct. Sound is great? Its not much difference than with them in. Leave the resonators in. Less problems, as these trucks are known for many.
executive13 is offline  
Old 06-28-2015, 10:00 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 285
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
E class
Originally Posted by executive13 View Post
You disagree 100%? I am telling you FACTS of what I observed. SOOO happy my resonators are back in. SHow me where I said there I said there was drone. I NEVER said that. And yes you WILL get vibration. Thats also a FACT!!! Since when does an exhaust shop no know what they are doing to remove a resonator and replace it with straight pipe? Is that everyones excuse on this forum when people have problems? No it was done correct. Sound is great? Its not much difference than with them in. Leave the resonators in. Less problems, as these trucks are known for many.
I was just replying as to what i've experienced as well as others I know who have done the delete. I've never heard of anyone having a vibration issue of any kind. Again sorry it didn't work out for you. Sound is great I never stated "you said there was done" i was relaying my findings..
Again could have just been a bad shop job you experienced. There are definitely good and bad muffler shops even for simple jobs. I'd much rather delete a resonator than mess with a new exhaust system if i was worried about reliability of the truck.
I prefer doing a delete-filter change-ECU flash for simplicity.
On a side not how do you like the tune on the 14' ML63? who did the tune?

found this on web much better sound than stock IMO

Last edited by Fly by night; 06-29-2015 at 12:31 AM.
Fly by night is offline  
Old 06-30-2015, 03:40 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
iconoclast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: In, Out & Around...
Posts: 498
Thanked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Audi BMW MB & RR...
Originally Posted by executive13 View Post
You disagree 100%? I am telling you FACTS of what I observed. SOOO happy my resonators are back in.
i believe this is an issue of preference. some like some dislike. when i had my RRS-SC everyone said to install exhaust or delete the resonator. i did it and i hated it. everyone else loved it. i posted a video asking if perhaps something was done incorrectly or if there was an exhaust leak and everyone who did the same "mod" said that is how it is supposed to sound. to me it had the tone and note of a broken exhaust and i felt like i stood out like a sore thumb when i would pull up to conservative settings. i promptly reinstalled the appropriate equipment. the point being that while it was not broken or installed improperly i did not like the sound it created while others did. perhaps that is what is happening here.
iconoclast is offline  
Old 07-16-2015, 10:50 PM
  #15  
Junior Member
 
executive13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
2014 ML63
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
i believe this is an issue of preference. some like some dislike. when i had my RRS-SC everyone said to install exhaust or delete the resonator. i did it and i hated it. everyone else loved it. i posted a video asking if perhaps something was done incorrectly or if there was an exhaust leak and everyone who did the same "mod" said that is how it is supposed to sound. to me it had the tone and note of a broken exhaust and i felt like i stood out like a sore thumb when i would pull up to conservative settings. i promptly reinstalled the appropriate equipment. the point being that while it was not broken or installed improperly i did not like the sound it created while others did. perhaps that is what is happening here.

could very well be. But, I am just tired of the terrible MB quality so I traded it for a Porsche. The 63 had more problems than my Range Rover. These things just fall apart. NEVER again. Chevys have less problems. Its a joke.
executive13 is offline  
Old 07-16-2015, 11:07 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
iconoclast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: In, Out & Around...
Posts: 498
Thanked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Audi BMW MB & RR...
well i don't know about that... i had a '14 GMC Yukon and Suburban... both had massive problems and turned in before 100 miles. the first poured water in from the roof which DID NOT have a sunroof, satellite radio cutout, bluetooth died. the other navigation failed. then door locks. then the diff. left me stranded before i even passed 56 miles on the car. needless to say i may never revisit the brand unless i am offered some serious discounts. at the fully loaded price point it is on par with the RRS/Cayenne but lacking the refinement, quality and sex appeal.
iconoclast is offline  
Old 07-17-2015, 05:26 AM
  #17  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 956
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mercedes Evo II
Originally Posted by executive13 View Post
could very well be. But, I am just tired of the terrible MB quality so I traded it for a Porsche. The 63 had more problems than my Range Rover. These things just fall apart. NEVER again. Chevys have less problems. Its a joke.


What kind of problems?

I have driven my 2013 ml63 for 30'000miles and never had a single issue apart the battery (both batteries actually) that died a week ago.
EVOII_Racer is offline  
Old 07-17-2015, 09:01 PM
  #18  
Member
 
sebc63's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 127
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2015 ML63
I have 2015 Ml63, resonator delete and Renntech tune. I did about 10k on it already and no major issues. I had 2012 E63 before and had all kinds of issues with same set up but I guess sometimes you get bad luck on some cars. Everyone has differnent prefrences in what they are looking for and resonator delete makes the car louder and I really like it because instead of spending crazy cash on exhaust this was great and cheap investment. Just my 2c
sebc63 is offline  
Old 07-18-2015, 05:59 PM
  #19  
Junior Member
 
executive13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
2014 ML63
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
well i don't know about that... i had a '14 GMC Yukon and Suburban... both had massive problems and turned in before 100 miles. the first poured water in from the roof which DID NOT have a sunroof, satellite radio cutout, bluetooth died. the other navigation failed. then door locks. then the diff. left me stranded before i even passed 56 miles on the car. needless to say i may never revisit the brand unless i am offered some serious discounts. at the fully loaded price point it is on par with the RRS/Cayenne but lacking the refinement, quality and sex appeal.

let me rephrase. Chevy, Ford, Nissan, Acura, Land Rover, ALL are better than the MB brand. My ML was in the shop 8 times in the last 14 months. Thats more than the 15+ cars ive owned have been in the shop PUT TOGETHER!!. Check engine light was even on when I traded that POS in.
And you are telling me a cheapo yukon and surburban price point is on par with a Porsche Cayenne? Put down the crack pipe buddy. My Cayenne just cost me $144K. You need to visit the REAL world and stop messing behind a keyboard.
executive13 is offline  
Old 07-18-2015, 06:05 PM
  #20  
Junior Member
 
executive13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
2014 ML63
Originally Posted by EVOII_Racer View Post
What kind of problems?

I have driven my 2013 ml63 for 30'000miles and never had a single issue apart the battery (both batteries actually) that died a week ago.
Maniford sensors bad
broken engine mounts.
broken tranny mounts.
seized thermostat.
pullies siezed left me stranded.
front shock defective.
tranny leak.
ac/heater blower failed
tailgate close button broke

BIGGEST POS CARS YOU CAN BUY. THANKS GOD PORSCHE TOOK IT ON A TRADE. Somebody elses headache now.
executive13 is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 11:36 AM
  #21  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 956
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mercedes Evo II
Originally Posted by executive13 View Post
Maniford sensors bad
broken engine mounts.
broken tranny mounts.
seized thermostat.
pullies siezed left me stranded.
front shock defective.
tranny leak.
ac/heater blower failed
tailgate close button broke

BIGGEST POS CARS YOU CAN BUY. THANKS GOD PORSCHE TOOK IT ON A TRADE. Somebody elses headache now.
Damn I guess you just were unlucky and got the bad apple of the bunch!

Like I said I track my ml63 and drive it very hard everyday and never has a single issue!

Did you purchase it new?
EVOII_Racer is offline  
Old 07-22-2015, 06:09 PM
  #22  
Junior Member
 
executive13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
2014 ML63
Originally Posted by EVOII_Racer View Post
Damn I guess you just were unlucky and got the bad apple of the bunch!

Like I said I track my ml63 and drive it very hard everyday and never has a single issue!

Did you purchase it new?
yep new. And no I didnt get a bad apple in the bunch. Tell that to the owners of the 75+ cars in my dealership everyday with loads of problems. Ask any service advisor and they will tell you these cars are loaded with problems. Takes 2 weeks to get an appointment they have so many cars waiting to get fixed. NEVER AGAIN WOULD I BUY ONE OF THESE PIECES OF ****. Also the Porsche is LIGHTYEARS ahead on quality. MB isnt even in the ballpark. You cant deny that.
executive13 is offline  
Old 07-22-2015, 08:32 PM
  #23  
Super Member
 
AZBENZ-CTSV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 511
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
PORSCHE PANAMERA TURBO LAMBORGHINI GALLARDO SL600 E55 BRABUS*SOLD*
My Porsche Panny turbo was in the shop 5 times in one year. My wife's 911 turbo has been problematic as well. Her ML63 has been bulletproof. She did have a CLA45 which was subpar overall. This has been my personal experience with both brands.
AZBENZ-CTSV is offline  
Old 07-22-2015, 09:24 PM
  #24  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Nanook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,169
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
'18 GLE63S AMG /'19 PORSCHE TURBO S / '09 CORVETTE ZR1 /'14 LEXUS RX350/'16 RAV4 Ltd
Mine has been outstanding with no issues at all except when I first got it I had to have the dealer remove some clips fom the bottom seat cushion.
The only concern I have is the life expectancy of the P Zero which is about 6-7k miles otherwise bullet proof..no warranty claim in 47000 kms
Nanook is offline  
Old 10-02-2015, 08:03 PM
  #25  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 20
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'07 ML63 AMG '12 ml350
Unfortunately nightmare. 07 ml63 amg found so many articles on web regards to tailights leaking water and even recall #'s. Within few months of purchase vehicle flooded all computers under water. For those who live in rain regions pls keep an eye on your tailight seals as once it deteriorates water collects under spare tire...tail gate motor/pump is very prices...and sam unit etc.
benski is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: W166 ML63 Regrets...


Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: