- Hardwired Bluetooth Audio Module for W164 stereo !! (installation + pics) -

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 01:24 PM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
CL63 AMG
- Hardwired Bluetooth Audio Module for W164 stereo !! (installation + pics) -

FINALLY!!!

There is now a legitimate bluetooth hardwired option for our W164 ML63s (and all other W164s)!!

Background:
I searched far and wide to find a hardwired Bluetooth module for our application. One of the biggest irritating lack of features our w164s is a hardwired Bluetooth module. Using the auxiliary cable was starting to get extremely annoying and it just looks bad aesthetically as well.
I did a writeup about a year ago for a battery powered Auxilary Bluetooth adapter off ebay for about $10-15, but the problem with that adapter was you had to manually turn it on every time you got out of the car, and after every 2 weeks of use you would have to take it out and charge it because it would run out a battery. I knew there simply had to be a better way.

After searching on ebay for aftermarket head units, I came across a few OEM looking aftermarket Nav systems would fit into the stock space uniformly and still look OEM (a few of them have Bluetooth functionality but are not truly OEM). However, after doing more research I realized they are not fiber optic compatible so I would either have to rewire the whole stereo system, or buy another expensive $150 adapter on top of the $700-800 price of the unit. Again, for a less than ideal setup.
One day I had a hunch of trying to search Ebay Germany in german to see if anyone had figured out a better solution, and to my shock there was one seller who just so happened to great a direct plug & play solution for our W164 factory headunits and the best part is it only cost $40!

Yes it would require installation, which initially deterred me at first, but after finding an installation video on Youtube I realized you could take apart the entire W164 center console in only 5 min with basic hand tools and plastic dash puller tools.

Supplies / Tools:
- Flat Head screwdriver (hammer optional, will explain)
- 6-pointed star bit (forgot the actual size but its on the smaller size)
- Blue Plastic Dash Puller tool set (cheap on amazon)
- Bluetooth Adapter Module Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/262127562233
- Pluggable Wire Taps (for tapping into cigarette lighter wiring harness)

Installation:
Follow this instructional video first to get an idea of how to take the dash apart and the head unit out:

Video 1:

(Side Note: The Video mentioned at the end there are two star screws on either side holding those metal slide down tabs in place. My metal tabs were extremely stiff even with the screws removed so I used a long large flathead screwdriver to put it in place, then used a hammer to tap the flathead’s shaft to jolt it out of place downward)

There is another video as well that shows you how to unscrew the ash tray (which you will need to do in order to tap into the cigarette lighter wiring harness. The middle slideout sunglass holder tray does NOT need to be removed to do this modification.

Video 2:

Once you have everything apart, take out the blue tooth module and crimp on the wire tap plug ends onto the red/black wire positive/negative ends of the power leads for the Bluetooth module. Then tap the cigarette lighter wiring harness. IMPORTANT NOTE: Brown = ground, Yellow/Black = Power. Match the Brown to the black wire on the BT module, and the Red to the Yellow/black! I chose to solder the ends of the wiring harness just because I like taking the extra step but its not 100% necessary. Next, remove the white plug for the Auxilary cable (yes this will deactivate your auxiliary port, which you would never use anyways once you have this). Plug the white plug of the module into the same port and the route the RCA cables behind the sunglass tray around to the top side and connect the two sets of RCAs together.

BEFORE you put everything back together, double check to make sure the Blue Tooth module is functioning properly. Turn the key onto position 2 (you need to do this as the BT module is hooked up to the cigarette lighter which is only on in position 2 or with car running). Turn on the stereo, Pair your phone to the Bluetooth device “Adapter Universe”. Once you do that double check the sound and connection.

TROUBLESHOOTING NOTE: If your adapter is having problems “pairing”, this may be due to the positive ground/positive leads on the module not actually having a perfect connection. I had to cut off the heat shrink wrapping on the module and resolder the positive and negative leads. I did this on both the front and backside of the module to ensure it had a solid electrical connection. I then soldered the ground on the RCA leads as well. This solved the problem 100% and is now working perfectly. It may just have been bad luck but either way for $40 I wasn’t unhappy. I just rewrapped the module with black electrical tape solidly to ensure no shorts would occur.

Conclusion:

Now I finally feel like I have joined the 21st Century! Bluetooth in a W164 haha. The BT module connects immediately within 5 seconds of turning on the car every time and disconnects when I leave automatically. I no longer have to use an Aux cable coming out of my glovebox, and I could not be happier with the results, all for $40 (plus a bit extra if you need to buy some of the tools). Worth every penny and my desire to upgrade to W166 has been dulled slightly (at least for now). Eventually I will have a W166, but just trying to push off the inevitable as long as I can

Hope that helps,
ML63
Attached Thumbnails - Hardwired Bluetooth Audio Module for W164 stereo !! (installation + pics) --img_3057.jpg   - Hardwired Bluetooth Audio Module for W164 stereo !! (installation + pics) --img_3058.jpg   - Hardwired Bluetooth Audio Module for W164 stereo !! (installation + pics) --img_3060.jpg  

Last edited by ML63 AMG; 02-16-2016 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 ML350
Good find.

I'm not thrilled about losing AUX functionality. Do you think wiring in a splitter could allow for both to be used (one at a time)?

How do things "work" for music? Say I get into the car, turn it on, and the BT module connects within 5 seconds (as you've described). Will music from my phone auto-play from where it stopped, or do I need to pull my phone out, open the music app and press play?

Can the car's "phone" functionality be used with this module? As in, browsing the phone's contacts, dialling numbers, etc?
Old 02-16-2016, 09:35 PM

CL63 AMG
It's just like having the aux cable plugged in so the functionality is the same. You still use your phone to control the playlist

I do have a Viseeo Bluetooth module already so Phone functionality is already taken care of and the phone can connect to both simultaneously because one is registered for audio, the other is for phone.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 ML350
Ah, okay. Not for me then. I've got an older iPod Classic mounted and connected to the AUX port. No cables to play around with as it's always in place. Get in, press play, and you're done. Prefer that to having to play around with my phone.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
E500; ML63; X5M; LR3
So you use it to interface with a separate audio bt adaptor that you plug into your phone, or can it control the telephone bt functions too?

Also - in case anyone knows - what is that plug in the top of the middle console for? 2009 ML63. It has a black plastic cover on it.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:21 AM

E500; ML63; X5M; LR3
Originally Posted by Kamisama
Also - in case anyone knows - what is that plug in the top of the middle console for? 2009 ML63. It has a black plastic cover on it.
So - I guess it's the UHI/MHI plug. I don't really know why or what for though, as I have BT with the COMAND, though it won't stream audio over BT. Is the plug redundant or something? No puck installed.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:45 AM

CL63 AMG
On the older nav units before the 2nd generation came out there was no way to have Bluetooth audio. What this unit does is allow you to use Bluetooth audio for music using the auxiliary input on the back of the head unit.

Bluetooth phone functionality is done through the Viseeo puck module in the center console. Between the both of them you have almost all of the functionality of the newer 2010+ command units. I am very happy with the results
Old 02-17-2016, 02:41 PM

E500; ML63; X5M; LR3
Yeah, that's a point of unfortunate suck for my vehicle too. I used your link and ordered the interface cable and hope to get it to work to stream BT audio, but just wish there was a single connection solution. Seems like a line of code someone just didn't write or something, as I'm sure the technical capability does exist with the technology already present in the existing BT unit.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:16 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Nice write up... Do the phone buttons on the steering wheel control the phone with this option?
Old 03-06-2016, 11:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 ML350
For those who want to go an easier route, and have the iPod connector in their glove-box, this is a really good answer to your Bluetooth needs. The "ViseeO Tune2Air WMA3000A Bluetooth Adapter"

Amazon.com: ViseeO Tune2Air WMA3000A Bluetooth Adapter: Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: ViseeO Tune2Air WMA3000A Bluetooth Adapter: Computers & Accessories

You unplug the small cable with the iPod adapter and the 3.5 mm jack and just plug this device in its place. Steering wheel controls still work, artist and track info is displayed on the COMAND unit and the Bluetooth telephone connection will continue to work. It takes about 15 seconds to install and maybe another minute to deal with the Bluetooth pairing process (which is one time only, after that it will automatically connect and disconnect).

Personally I am using mine in a 2010 ML350 and use an iPhone 6 plus running (originally) iOS 8.x and now all versions of iOS 9 (up through 9.3 beta 5). I do have one caveat. When the phone is simultaneously communicating with other Bluetooth devices, like my Pebble Steel watch or my Automatic ODB2 device, the audio will occasionally stutter. Mostly when the car first starts. Now that I moved the Automatic device over to my second (work) phone and moved to an Apple Watch it is solid as a rock.

It's not perfect, but at only $68 I think it was well worth it. Much better than my old 30 pin to lightning adapter cable with lightning cable extender I was using.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:36 AM

CL63 AMG
That Viseeo units does NOT work on the older nav units and systems. You must still use the one I mentioned. The older MLs do not have that plug for anything pre 2009 you cannot use any other option than the one I listed
Old 03-07-2016, 12:08 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
E63s-summer/GLE63s-winter
Clearly the OP has the most knowledge here. I do have an '09, so this may not work either, but I found this CarPro unit on amazon. It's plug and play with the 30pin ipod plug and becomes a bluetooth streaming device through the Ipod input.

Did any pre 2009 come with Ipod input?

If it's still something that wont work I apologize.

Amazon.com: Bluetooth Adapter for 2011 or Earlier Mercedes iPod iPhone 30 Pin Cable - CoolStream CarPro: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Bluetooth Adapter for 2011 or Earlier Mercedes iPod iPhone 30 Pin Cable - CoolStream CarPro: Cell Phones & Accessories
Old 03-07-2016, 02:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 ML350
Originally Posted by ML63 AMG
That Viseeo units does NOT work on the older nav units and systems. You must still use the one I mentioned. The older MLs do not have that plug for anything pre 2009 you cannot use any other option than the one I listed
Thanks for clarifying. I don't have any experience with any of the other models other that the 2010 ML350 I currently own. But if you do have that connector like (the 2010) generation cars it really works pretty well.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:55 PM

CL63 AMG
No, the earlier NAV units pre 2010 do not have IPOD plugs, you have to hardwire it directly into the back of the headunit port