2007 ML63: Engine vibration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550
2007 ML63: Engine vibration

Hello,

I've got 99,000 miles on my ML63. Still very solid. Should be as I've dropped about $10K into it over the last two years. Anyway, my last shop visit ended in a real disappointment...

About 6 months ago, my MB center in Oregon recommended new transmission mount. No problem, $350 and I was on my way with no performance issues. I did not feel any vibrations at the time, but the shop claimed the mount was "collapsed" and needed replacement. I did not notice any performance difference, but I'm inclined to replace parts when they need replacement. So just a few weeks ago, I took it to my MB center in CA for a check engine light.

They advised a few issues: Needs a new fuel pump, transmission service, and transmission mount. Wait, WHAT? Guys I just did the tranny mount not six months ago!

They said it was a mistake and it was the motor mounts, not the trans mount that needed replacement. Naturally I authorized the repairs. They also replaced the fuel pump. When I got the vehicle back, it had developed a very noticeable vibration... as it might if it needed new engine mounts.

Well, as it turned out, they didn't replace the engine mounts... THEY REPLACED THE BRAND NEW TRANSMISSION MOUNT! And in the process... returned the vehicle to me in far worse operating condition than when it went in... having developed this persistent vibration, noticeable in the seats, and visually noticeable when the hood is open (you can watch the hood oscillating at about 100Hz)

I brought this to their attention. They admitted their mistake (grudgingly), refunded me the cost of for the trans mount, and installed the engine mounts, for which I paid $1200. As soon as I sat down and started the engine, I noticed again the vibration.

So now I have a new trans mount and two new engine mounts. And the thing is shaking like a granny with Parkinsons. I bring this to their attention and they're like "oh that's totally normal... these engines create a lot of vibration." NO! No, effing way. The car did not shake like this at all before I brought it in. Finally, the shop foreman says "well you've still got a check engine light... maybe the engine is running a but lean, which could cause the vibration..."

So, I'm not going to pay these guys another $1000 to "guess" what might be wrong with my AMG. This is my 5th MB, and my 2nd AMG. I've never had this level of vibration. It feels like the '83 Volvo wagon I drove in college.

So the question to the forum:

1. Considering the new mounts, what else could be causing this vibration?
2. Is it possible the shop could have done something wrong during the installation of any of the mounts to cause them to malfunction?
3. Is there anything to this lean engine theory?

Sorry for the long post, but I thought the background was important. Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by Autobahnistlieb; 04-17-2017 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
ML63 AMG 13 SLK 55 SLK350 AMG kit 07
It could be a miss fire but you would think Star diagnostic in the shop could have found that.
When looking at the dash does the rev counter sit smooth at tick over?