MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) (https://mbworld.org/forums/ml55-amg-ml63-amg-w163-w164-53/)
-   -   Cut My Losses on 2009 ML63 AMG ? W164 M156 (https://mbworld.org/forums/ml55-amg-ml63-amg-w163-w164/689331-cut-my-losses-2009-ml63-amg-w164-m156.html)

GoPwr 11-18-2017 10:25 AM

Cut My Losses on 2009 ML63 AMG ? W164 M156

We thoroughly enjoy driving our 2009 ML63 AMG. Unfortunately we loathe the ownership experience. I am looking for your feedback, advice and experiences to help me decide if it is time to cut my losses and walk away.

Part of me wants to be optimistic that ‘one more fix’ will get us out of the woods and the other part thinks further costly repairs are inevitable.

This one owner dealer maintained 63k mile was purchased 18 months ago as a daily driver for my wife and tourer for long distance vacations . The PO was meticulous, even replacing tires at the dealership.

Within a month both front air shocks required replacement, which we had an Indy shop perform for about $1.3k

The driver side front door lock no longer works but we work around that due to a $800+ estimate.

I replaced a tail light assembly for about $400

After 7 months and about 10k (primarily highway) miles later at 73k mi we were informed that the head bolts had failed. After a very stressful negotiation with our local dealer and MBUSA, the engine was removed, flushed and deemed repaired; including a 2 year warranty on parts for $8,373

It has now been 18 months of ownership and it has developed an occasional strained start with an engine rattle, throwing a P0016 code.

A trip to the dealer yesterday resulted in a $5,200 estimate to repair/replace cam adjusters ($3,400) and low fuel pressure ($1,800).

It also is about due for 21” tires.

Currently I have $46,000 invested. Add the needed work ( door lock, cams, fuel pump, tires = $7,000) it would be a $53k suv worth $19k to $29k.

Side note: I do acknowledge that I could shave some costs going to an indy shop. I also am baffled that the dealer / tech didn’t advise or notice this cam issue a few months ago when the engine was out and fully disassembled?!

Our intent was to drive this car to 200k miles like we did with our C55amg, which is the only way to make the economics stand a chance of working out if we keep it.

Should I walk away from the $46k invested and cut my losses knowing I am digging an endless money pit?

Or do I bite the bullet, repair the ML with the hopes that the ‘known issues’ with the M156 have been addressed and drive it for another 100k miles and pray no more 4 digit repair costs crop up every 6 months?

PS - Due to all this I have lost my “awesome” husband status for setting her up with such an “awesome” ride. After so many successful experiences with used Japanese and German used cars, I may never be allowed to buy an out of warrant car again.

Thanks for reading along.

Rainers 11-18-2017 11:14 AM

Go total it, leave it in the parking lot with the keys in it

jrgator 11-21-2017 10:30 AM

Your "PS" says it all. These cars are ridiculous to try and maintain out of warranty. I traded my SL55 for an in-warranty ML63 for this reason. It was getting to be silly how much $ I was spending just waiting for the next event that was certain to happen.

QuadBenz 11-21-2017 03:05 PM

Had a 2007 ML63 that we purchased new and had the same intentions of keeping it and never getting rid of it. Once the warranty was up, those feelings quickly changed as it required constant and never-ending repair. The amount of money we had to throw at it (and you as well) is better off thrown at a new or newer car with significantly better reliability (the MB era these ML63s are from weren't the greatest) and with peace of mind knowing that IF something goes wrong (instead of WHEN something goes wrong with the ML), warranty will be there to save the day. Save yourself the headache now and the additional dollars and get out of it before you "invest" significantly more money into it. It's a great car but newer and more modern cars are the way to go.