ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

Power Steering bracket crack

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 ML63 AMG
Power Steering bracket crack

I have a 2007 ML63 AMG that recently had an alternator and a new serpentine belt replaced. Less than 200 miles or two weeks passed and my power steering bracket broke and the belt fell off when starting the engine. Having just replacing the alternator at a MB dealer, I find this highly suspect that this would happen. What could cause this in the first place?
Prior to this occurrence I had the engine head bolts, gaskets and a cylinder rod replaced because of faulty head bolt failure, A known defect with this year and engine. MB covered part of the cost but since the engine was removed and replaced to do the work, I suspect that there might have been tolerances not met that led to an alternator seizing and serpentine belt tearing apart. As mentioned these were replaced at my cost and now less than two weeks later the current problem happened with the power steering pump bracket.Could all these be related in some way? The major engine work was done less than 1000 miles ago (3 months), the alternator work two weeks ago and now this steering issue. Please give me some guidance. I just don't think this is normal for a car that has been properly maintained by MB and only has 58,000 miles. Thanks for you help
Old 07-06-2018, 08:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Wow wada cream puff-----I would not waste my time here-----I would be running to the dealer and talking to management and after the fix---how much would they offer in trade?
Old 07-06-2018, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 ML63 AMG
I am not wasting my time because without this forum, I would be lost to know what other MB ML63 experiences have been with regard to the failure I experienced. I most certainly will demand an explanation from the service manager since I am finding this not to be normal. Talking to other professional mechanics, they feel MB repair shop screwed up somewhere in the previous repairs.