ML63 questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63
ML63 questions

Hey,

I currently have an E63 (2012) and as winter is setting in, decided to get something more practical for the daily commute. I didn't realize you can buy 2009 ML63s for what appears to be not very much....So the question is, what are these like to live with day to day? I assume they suffer from the dreaded headbolt issues on the 6.3 engine? What other experiences can you good folks share with me?
Old 01-05-2019, 04:40 AM

Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts
2020 E 300 Coupe and 2019 GLS 400
I have an Escalade, a Civic, and the ML63 is my daily car, It is the best.

1- The M156 suffers from camshaft wear, defective camshaft adjusters, valve buckets wear, and the head bolt issue. Other than that, it is an excellent engine, the sound is intoxicating, has plenty of power across the range, and the design is simple so repairs won't be complicated. It helps a lot if you DIY the simple stuff. Parts are reasonably priced too, if you know where to buy from. You can remove the valve covers to check the camshafts/ buckets condition. The camshaft adjusters will be noisy when they go bad. Regarding the head bolts, they might break and when they do, the heads need to come off and gaskets replaced. However, keep in mind the bolts can be replaced one-by-one with the heads in place as a preventive maintenance. Many members have done so with no issues, search in the W204 C63 forum.

2- Space is big, I was able to fit 4x 295/40/R21 wheels, and It had more room to spare, with the seats folded.
3- Even with the sporty suspension, and low profile tires, the ride quality is great in "C" mode.
4- In sport mode. the car is nimble and the steering is light.
5- Can't speak about winter commute, but the 4matic does great in the sand.
6- The size is great driving in town, and manoeuvring in parking lots is not annoying or difficult.
7- The ride height is sufficient to clear all obstacles and you can raise the vehicle even more on demand.
8- It is a great car for road trips, in-city driving, and a carrier for family or friends.
9- Up to this date (94k miles), the following has been replaced:

Camshaft adjusters 2 times
Intake camshafts 1 time
Fuel filter
Two front suspension air bags
Coolant hose
Alternator
Battery
Regular fluid/ filter maintenance (engine, coolant, diffs, TC, transmission)

- The W164 in general suffered from some issues, like the rear tail light seals leaking, transfer case noise, front diff noise. Keep these in mind, more info can be found in the general W164 forum.
All in all, If I were in your place, I would buy the latest MY (2011) since it will have revised internal and external parts.
* Look for engines with serial # after 60658 to be safe from the head bolt issue.
I can check the VIN for you if you want.

Good luck!
Old 01-05-2019, 10:28 AM

E63
Originally Posted by Solo wing
I have an Escalade, a Civic, and the ML63 is my daily car, It is the best.

1- The M156 suffers from camshaft wear, defective camshaft adjusters, valve buckets wear, and the head bolt issue. Other than that, it is an excellent engine, the sound is intoxicating, has plenty of power across the range, and the design is simple so repairs won't be complicated. It helps a lot if you DIY the simple stuff. Parts are reasonably priced too, if you know where to buy from. You can remove the valve covers to check the camshafts/ buckets condition. The camshaft adjusters will be noisy when they go bad. Regarding the head bolts, they might break and when they do, the heads need to come off and gaskets replaced. However, keep in mind the bolts can be replaced one-by-one with the heads in place as a preventive maintenance. Many members have done so with no issues, search in the W204 C63 forum.

2- Space is big, I was able to fit 4x 295/40/R21 wheels, and It had more room to spare, with the seats folded.
3- Even with the sporty suspension, and low profile tires, the ride quality is great in "C" mode.
4- In sport mode. the car is nimble and the steering is light.
5- Can't speak about winter commute, but the 4matic does great in the sand.
6- The size is great driving in town, and manoeuvring in parking lots is not annoying or difficult.
7- The ride height is sufficient to clear all obstacles and you can raise the vehicle even more on demand.
8- It is a great car for road trips, in-city driving, and a carrier for family or friends.
9- Up to this date (94k miles), the following has been replaced:

Camshaft adjusters 2 times
Intake camshafts 1 time
Fuel filter
Two front suspension air bags
Coolant hose
Alternator
Battery
Regular fluid/ filter maintenance (engine, coolant, diffs, TC, transmission)

- The W164 in general suffered from some issues, like the rear tail light seals leaking, transfer case noise, front diff noise. Keep these in mind, more info can be found in the general W164 forum.
All in all, If I were in your place, I would buy the latest MY (2011) since it will have revised internal and external parts.
* Look for engines with serial # after 60658 to be safe from the head bolt issue.
I can check the VIN for you if you want.

Good luck!
thats an awesome response thank you!!!! Here’s the Carfax with the vin https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...BB77E89A522360
Old 01-06-2019, 11:49 AM

Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts
2020 E 300 Coupe and 2019 GLS 400
WIS wouldn't print the data card for some reason . The engine number on this car is # 46082 which is affected by the head bolt issue.
However, to check the specs on this car, go to this link and paste the VIN.
https://mbworld.org/forums/vindecoder.php

Good luck
Old 01-06-2019, 05:25 PM

E63
Originally Posted by Solo wing
WIS wouldn't print the data card for some reason . The engine number on this car is # 46082 which is affected by the head bolt issue.
However, to check the specs on this car, go to this link and paste the VIN.
https://mbworld.org/forums/vindecoder.php

Good luck
thanks for your help buddy, I’ll let you know how I get on. Looking at the history it’s been well maintained, it doesn’t seem to look too worn but I’ll find out in person. Appreciate your advice.