ML63 AMG (W166) 2011 -2015 (Replaced by GLE63)

ECU swap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 10:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML63 AMG BiTurbo
ECU swap

Howdy all,

I'm planning to get an eurocharged v5 tune for my ml63, after reading some horror stories on here re service and warranty problems at the dealer, I've opted to buy a 2nd hand ecu, send both my original and the 2nd hand one to Eurocharged for them to copy my current config to the 2nd hand ecu then apply the tune to the 2nd hand one.

My plan is this will leave me with the original ecu un modified for service etc, and the 2nd hand ecu as a tuned one.

Couple questions:

- Is the mileage held on the ECU or another module?
- does anyone see a problem in doing this? (Keeping 2x ecu's that are able to be swapped as i please)
- keen to hear any other views people have.

Thanks.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:10 PM

ml55, Ml63, Porsche, C63S ED1
I got a EC v5 tune for my m156 engine on my old C63 and I had no problems. Is this for a W166 or W164? Honestly I've had several cars with tunes over the years and they never had issues. EC is a reputable tuner.

Originally Posted by cunningstunts
Howdy all,

I'm planning to get an eurocharged v5 tune for my ml63, after reading some horror stories on here re service and warranty problems at the dealer, I've opted to buy a 2nd hand ecu, send both my original and the 2nd hand one to Eurocharged for them to copy my current config to the 2nd hand ecu then apply the tune to the 2nd hand one.

My plan is this will leave me with the original ecu un modified for service etc, and the 2nd hand ecu as a tuned one.

Couple questions:

- Is the mileage held on the ECU or another module?
- does anyone see a problem in doing this? (Keeping 2x ecu's that are able to be swapped as i please)
- keen to hear any other views people have.

Thanks.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:58 PM

ML63 AMG BiTurbo
Originally Posted by ruey220
I got a EC v5 tune for my m156 engine on my old C63 and I had no problems. Is this for a W166 or W164? Honestly I've had several cars with tunes over the years and they never had issues. EC is a reputable tuner.

Good to hear. It's the w166, I received both my ECU's back from Eurocharged this morning, 3 day turn around very happy with the prompt service and near immediate responses to my ongoing barrage of questions.

Was planning to do some driving tonight but the weather is looking very bad for the next few days might have to wait it out till next week.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is not yet completed
cant wait to hear a review.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:39 PM

ML63 AMG BiTurbo
So I couldn’t help myself, even with all the rain up here… Plugged in the tuned ECU last night warmed it up and went for a drive, my initial reaction is WOW! Just WOW! The guys at Eurocharged nailed this tune for the ML63 (w166, m157).

The car is completely transformed power and response wise, noticeable straight off idle but not ‘aggressive’ at low revs with gentle accelerator application, it remains friendly for the wife to drive just like they said it would.

But damn! Put the right foot down from standstill or anywhere for that matter it just rips through gears and pegs you back in the seat. The car was breaking traction on all 4 wheels through to 3th gear (note: wet road but near new Dunlop’s), I can’t wait to take this out in some good weather! Will post up again once I’ve had a chance to drive it for more than 30 minutes in the rain.

Anyone with a BiTurbo who doesn’t have a tune yet is definitely missing out on the ridiculous power increase available through an Eurochaged v5 tune.

Big thank you to Dylan and the team at Eurocharged in Houston.

(Disclaimer: I’m sure other tuners do great work too but I have not had the pleasure of trying their tunes to compare, as such no reference able to be provided.)
The following users liked this post:
miamiml63amg (10-14-2016)