M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Change Headliner from Grey to Black?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML550 Paladium Silver/Brown Satin Ash
Change Headliner from Grey to Black?

Hey, does anyone know what would be involved in changing an W166 headliner from the standard grey to the special order black on a car that's already built and on the lot?

Is there some aftermarket alternative? Could the dealer order the black parts and liner from the factory and swap out the grey?

Update: I find that the grey window post reflect more in the window on sunny days, reducing visibility. So, I'd rather have them black.

Last edited by Masterbuyer; 12-06-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:07 PM
27T

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
13ML BT
You will have to go to an upholstery shop that specializes in this. Just like body work or tint, the dealer outsources the work and adds some fees on top for themselves.

Get it done in a faux suede like the ML63. I'm guessing that it'll cost about $1,000+ parts and labor.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:47 PM

2013 ML550 Paladium Silver/Brown Satin Ash
Originally Posted by 27trout
You will have to go to an upholstery shop that specializes in this. Just like body work or tint, the dealer outsources the work and adds some fees on top for themselves.

Get it done in a faux suede like the ML63. I'm guessing that it'll cost about $1,000+ parts and labor.
Thanks! Hey, could you recommend any reputable shop in SoCal/Orange County?
Old 12-03-2012, 05:57 PM
27T

13ML BT
Originally Posted by Masterbuyer
Thanks! Hey, could you recommend any reputable shop in SoCal/Orange County?
It's been a decade since I've had custom work done for my cars and these shops open and close all of the time. The employees that actually do that skilled work move from shop to shop.

Great thing is that there should still be a ton of solid choices in our area. Not sure where to even start looking, maybe a google search or custom car forums. Best bet may be to call the top tint and body work shops and ask for recommendations.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Well there's two options.

1. Get the OEM black headliner and all necessary OEM parts and black plastic trim pieces such as handles and rearview mirror and have the dealer do a direct swap. (very costly)

2. Have a customization shop rewrap your stock headliner either in Alcantara (highest quality faux suede, and better material than the cloth in your car now and what you were looking to replace it with). You can also have the shop dye all of your plastic bits black. Since you're in So Cal, it's like the US' #1 place to get this type of stuff done in terms of the amount of shops available and best prices. I'd bet you can get it done between $1,000-2,000. As far as shops are concerned, you have to find a quality shop that will do a quality job. Don't just go for the cheapest place. Look at the existing work they've done and see if you're satisfied. I'd recommend posting this same question over on the E55 board or C63 board as more members there would be familiar with this type of work and the shops in question.

For the thread I'd ask "Alcantara shop So Cal" or something along those lines.

In this case I'd recommend either, option 1 but ordering the ML63 "Dinamica" headliner (very similar material to alcantara) if you've just got to have that OEM finish but it will come at a price. Or going with option 2.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
Hell yeah, Alcantara... costly as hell, but well worth it. I wouldn't touch it under $2500, but I would do headliner, visors, A,B,C,& D pillars, upper rear hatch panels, maybe toss a few pieces in the doors or center console area... the lighter black from them, think the color code is 9002.. they have a jet black one, but personally like the lighter.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Also please verify the airbag locations before tackling this... it would suck to have an airbag deflate improperly due to a modified headliner.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:01 PM
27T

13ML BT
Great point. Considering the tech tucked away everywhere in this car, I wouldn't touch anything.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:41 AM

2013 ML350 Bluetec
What does everyone think about the black headliner? I ordered my ML in steel grey, with black leather and anthracite poplar trim. Do you think adding a black headliner would make it look too much like a dark cave inside?
Old 12-06-2012, 01:30 AM
27T

13ML BT
Originally Posted by RChpmn
What does everyone think about the black headliner? I ordered my ML in steel grey, with black leather and anthracite poplar trim. Do you think adding a black headliner would make it look too much like a dark cave inside?
I love the black headliner. I have black interior, tex dash and BSA trim. All matter of preference
Old 12-06-2012, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
airbag is not affected by the headliner covering...

And as for the black headliner, it's why we don't have 1 model car, with 1 engine, people like options, and have their own tastes and preferences which is why there are variances in vehicles and many options...

also black represent power since stature since the day of the Egyptians
Old 12-06-2012, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by jbondox
airbag is not affected by the headliner covering...
You sure about that? Window curtain airbags typically deploy from above the doors.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
and the sued gets wrapped around the headliner or if it is under the molding it can be cut there... depends what the factory does. So yes, I am sure about this, I used to do many... many headliners in both faux suede and Alcantara. I was doing Alcantara headliners before it was even available in the USA. And I am quite familiar with crashing vehicles :whistle:
Old 06-07-2017, 08:08 AM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
AMG GLS63
Hey Masterbuyer, did you ever swap out the headliner for the black colour?

I have a GL63 AMG X166 and want to do this same thing, grey to black. Im current searching for the plastic parts to keep the OEM factory look because dying them will remove the white symbols etc. (wont it) and I wouldnt want it to look like that afterwards.

Its definitely an option to have a custom shop retrim the linings in alcantara / dynamica or the other option is just to get plain black cloth colour from MB dealers, the pillar pieces arent that costly but the roof lining is very expensive so I just wonder what you did in the end?

Thanks

Carl