M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Retrofits, Recoding and Warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 03:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C300 & 2014 ML350
Retrofits, Recoding and Warranty

Does anyone have any experience with retrofitting options into their ML, had to have their MB dealer recode for them and had any warranty issues?

I'm currently looking into retrofitting the heated/cooled cup holders as well as the heated steering wheel into our ML350. Not everyone's cup of tea (I get it), but the heated wheel is for my wife who has constantly cold hands and the cup holders are just me saying "why the hell not?"

The cup holder retrofit doesn't seem to require coding according to another member I PM'd here on the forums. The heated steering wheel probably does.

My concern is if I go replacing electronics, take it to the dealer to have is coded and then run into an electrical issue in the vehicle somewhere else down the line, they are going to tell me I voided the warranty. Somehow, I can just imagine the scenario playing out: "well sir, your rear door's wiring harness went bad and it would normally be covered under warranty, but you voided the warranty because the vehicle had unauthorized labor done on the steering wheel." I should say that I am aware that is if something goes wrong with the retrofitted parts, they aren't going to warranty those because they didn't install them. My concern is the warranty on the rest of the car.

I realize I could just have the dealer install the components and have it all warranteed, but I know I can do these retrofits in my sleep at the same standards (if not better) than a MB tech.

Last edited by Island Brewer; 01-06-2017 at 03:58 AM.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 Mercedes-Benz S350 BlueTEC 2013 ML350 BlueTEC
Hey,

Ran into the same issue when I wanted to add a Remote Starter to my S350, the dealership said they would not do the job; and furthermore, if I get it done elsewhere it will void my warranty. So to this day, I grin and bare it - for now...

Jeff
Old 01-06-2017, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C300 & 2014 ML350
Kind of what I thought. I'm not paying a dealership something I am capable of, but not going to chance it until the warranty runs out.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:09 PM

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
2017 GLC300 2020 Toyota Rav4H AWD XLE
I thought about adding the Blind spot retrofit, but i grew up driving the old fashion way of looking over the shoulder myself so i decided to stick with it

Having a way to add the ambient lights would have been nice toO, i saw someone selling the dashboard parts, including the front and rear passenger with ambient LEDs but it was for the X166 (GL/GLS)
Old 01-12-2017, 09:08 PM

Received 139 Likes on 124 Posts
2015 ML350, 2021 BMW X3, 1991 190E
Originally Posted by Island Brewer
Does anyone have any experience with retrofitting options into their ML, had to have their MB dealer recode for them and had any warranty issues?

I'm currently looking into retrofitting the heated/cooled cup holders as well as the heated steering wheel into our ML350. Not everyone's cup of tea (I get it), but the heated wheel is for my wife who has constantly cold hands and the cup holders are just me saying "why the hell not?"

The cup holder retrofit doesn't seem to require coding according to another member I PM'd here on the forums. The heated steering wheel probably does.

My concern is if I go replacing electronics, take it to the dealer to have is coded and then run into an electrical issue in the vehicle somewhere else down the line, they are going to tell me I voided the warranty. Somehow, I can just imagine the scenario playing out: "well sir, your rear door's wiring harness went bad and it would normally be covered under warranty, but you voided the warranty because the vehicle had unauthorized labor done on the steering wheel." I should say that I am aware that is if something goes wrong with the retrofitted parts, they aren't going to warranty those because they didn't install them. My concern is the warranty on the rest of the car.

I realize I could just have the dealer install the components and have it all warranteed, but I know I can do these retrofits in my sleep at the same standards (if not better) than a MB tech.
I purchased a ML350 CPO this year and it had the standard leather steering wheel. I found a wooden one on eBay and had the local Mercedes dealer install it and it did not seem to be an issue. I would guess the wiring is already in the steering column but not sure how you would install the control switch.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:50 PM

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
I have asked my dealer about MMW act and they told me it is true, I am protected provided it is installed correctly and no wires were cut and all soldering was done correctly. I went ahead and install a smart start and I love it. In the mornings I get out of the shower and open my garage door via a phone app and then start my ML via the phone app as well. The car is toasty warm and the seat heaters are on when I leave for work 15 minutes later

Does the SmartKey Starter® effect my factory warranty?
  • No- installed correctly, our system does not affect your factory warranty. Because the harnessing is plug-and-play, the integrity of the vehicle is not disrupted. The system can be installed and removed with no signs of it being installed- there are no cut wires.
Are you sure it won’t effect my warranty?
  • Yes. In the United States, there is legislation known as the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act that protects consumers from having their factory warranties unfairly terminated.

Last edited by Rainers; 01-12-2017 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Spell check
The following users liked this post:
drwolf (01-13-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 01:10 PM

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
2017 GLC300 2020 Toyota Rav4H AWD XLE
Originally Posted by Rainers
I have asked my dealer about MMW act and they told me it is true, I am protected provided it is installed correctly and no wires were cut and all soldering was done correctly. I went ahead and install a smart start and I love it. In the mornings I get out of the shower and open my garage door via a phone app and then start my ML via the phone app as well. The car is toasty warm and the seat heaters are on when I leave for work 15 minutes later

Does the SmartKey Starter® effect my factory warranty?
  • No- installed correctly, our system does not affect your factory warranty. Because the harnessing is plug-and-play, the integrity of the vehicle is not disrupted. The system can be installed and removed with no signs of it being installed- there are no cut wires.
Are you sure it won’t effect my warranty?
  • Yes. In the United States, there is legislation known as the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act that protects consumers from having their factory warranties unfairly terminated.
Thanks for this info, now i'll see how much it is for a Blind spot retrofit hahahaha (out of sheer laziness)
Old 06-02-2017, 08:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2009 e class 2012 ml350
Originally Posted by Island Brewer

Could you post what parts are needed for the cup holder to work?
what harness is needed ?
Old 06-11-2017, 08:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2009 e class 2012 ml350
Originally Posted by f4i 954
Could you post what parts are needed for the cup holder to work?
what harness is needed ?
no longer needed, all done :