M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Diagnosing and fixing Parktronic failures?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 04:58 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2017 E400 wagon
Diagnosing and fixing Parktronic failures?

Just bought a 2012 ML350 and its only problem is that Parktronic is defective. I get the 2 red lights plus tone that indicate I need to bring it to a dealer.

Does anyone have any experience diagnosing individual sensor vs wiring harness failures with Parktronic?

Seems to be the exact same system as the W212 and W204 models, but failures seem to be so rare that there's no SOP for how to actually diagnose and fix that generation of parking sensors.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,052 Likes on 973 Posts
1999 E300TD
You will create more expensive problems----do yourself a huge favor find someone with a copy of factory diagnostic software-----they will find the problem in thirty minutes---your way--sell the car or donate!!!

If nothing more access MB Startek WIS for wiring diagrams,but then how will you test without the diagnostics--this aint a 63 ford!!
Old 04-24-2017, 12:15 PM

2017 E400 wagon
Originally Posted by Plutoe
You will create more expensive problems----do yourself a huge favor find someone with a copy of factory diagnostic software-----they will find the problem in thirty minutes---your way--sell the car or donate!!!

If nothing more access MB Startek WIS for wiring diagrams,but then how will you test without the diagnostics--this aint a 63 ford!!
You're right, and I forgot to mention that I already had a dealer appointment. I was worried that they wouldn't be able to narrow things down, but luckily they found exactly which sensor was damaged.

I've attached a photo of the affected sensor. I'm hoping there's a way to access it without removing the full bumper (just the grille). Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:28 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2009 e class 2012 ml350
Originally Posted by sadpanda
You're right, and I forgot to mention that I already had a dealer appointment. I was worried that they wouldn't be able to narrow things down, but luckily they found exactly which sensor was damaged.

I've attached a photo of the affected sensor. I'm hoping there's a way to access it without removing the full bumper (just the grille). Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

if you are sure thats the affected sensor, switch it with one from the other side, then you can determine if its a sensor or harness problem
Old 04-24-2017, 10:10 PM

2017 E400 wagon
Originally Posted by f4i 954
if you are sure thats the affected sensor, switch it with one from the other side, then you can determine if its a sensor or harness problem
Thanks, but how do I get access to the sensor to switch it over? I can't get WIS/EPC to work on my computer so far, so I'm SOL.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:03 PM

2017 E400 wagon
Nvm, I managed to get WIS to work. I'll try removing just the grille to install the replacement sensor when it arrives. If that doesn't work, the bumper will have to come partially off.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML250
Originally Posted by sadpanda
Nvm, I managed to get WIS to work. I'll try removing just the grille to install the replacement sensor when it arrives. If that doesn't work, the bumper will have to come partially off.
Hi Sadpada, how did you remove the grill? I need access to front sensor under the day running light. Do you have instructions to do this please? TIA