M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Rear AC Vents

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 04:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 ML350
Rear AC Vents

I need help with fixing/replacing my rear AC vents that are located on the center arm rest. Not sure how it happened, but the metal spine that makes sure all the horizontal slats are pointing in the same direction came off. So now the slats all move independently. Seems easy enough to fix, if I could just get the vent removed. The more I mess around with it, the more I'm afraid I'm going to break it. Has anyone removed these vents? Any pointers would be appreciated!
Old 06-20-2017, 05:46 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 ML63 AMG
I would start by removing the entire arm rest and going in from underneath. There's only 4 bolts that hold it in. Down inside the armrest, under the rubber liner is 2 bolts and the cubby underneath the a/c controls has a rubber liner...pull that out and there's 2 bolts. They are T30 Torx I think. THere's also electrical and all of that you have to unplug of course.
The following users liked this post:
VTENGR (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 03:29 PM

2014 ML350
I'll try this out. So basically you're saying if I remove the two Torx in the front strorage bin and the 2 Torx in the armrest bin, I can lift the whole console up, remove the back cover and access the vent that way?
Old 06-21-2017, 05:07 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 ML63 AMG
Yes, you'll be able to lift the armrest up and out so that you can *see* if that's a better way to access the vents. I believe that is the correct way to get to the vents, but I haven't removed the arm rest for that reason specifically, so I can't say for sure.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:58 AM

2014 ML350
Originally Posted by NickW
Yes, you'll be able to lift the armrest up and out so that you can *see* if that's a better way to access the vents. I believe that is the correct way to get to the vents, but I haven't removed the arm rest for that reason specifically, so I can't say for sure.
I followed your suggesting and it worked! Thanks for the help. Unfortunately I thought I could simply fix the vent, but the in my case I have to pony up the 115 bucks for the new vent.

For anyone else needing to do this essentially what you have to do is:
1) remove the 2 torx scres in the front of the center console, in the front storage compartment
2) remove the 2 torx screws in the center console storage area. under the rubber mat.
3) after that, the center console will lift out.
4) I disconnected some wiring under the console to allow me to lift it up further. However, I was not able to disconnect all the wiring. I couldn't figure out/see where some of the wire harnesses were connected (in the console or on the car). In any event, the harness that I disconnected was enough to give me enough room to lift the center console.
5) disconnect the rear AC socket, and this will allow you remove the rear cover.
6) pop out the storage compartment/ashtray on the back of the center console. I used a trim tool to depress the upper latch so that the compartment swings out. Then there will be 2 screws that you take out. These two screws secure the back cover to the center console. There's two spring clips at the top of the console that you can simply pop out by pulling the back cover directly back away from the center console.
7) once the rear cover is off, you have access to the vents from the back of the cover.

I know this explanation was basic, but if someone needs it, I can provide more detail.

Last edited by VTENGR; 08-03-2017 at 12:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
stalkerzonedog (07-13-2023)
Old 06-04-2021, 10:43 PM

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
W203 C230, W210 E350, W166 ML63
Originally Posted by VTENGR
I followed your suggesting and it worked! Thanks for the help. Unfortunately I thought I could simply fix the vent, but the in my case I have to pony up the 115 bucks for the new vent.

For anyone else needing to do this essentially what you have to do is:
1) remove the 2 torx scres in the front of the center console, in the front storage compartment
2) remove the 2 torx screws in the center console storage area. under the rubber mat.
3) after that, the center console will lift out.
4) I disconnected some wiring under the console to allow me to lift it up further. However, I was not able to disconnect all the wiring. I couldn't figure out/see where some of the wire harnesses were connected (in the console or on the car). In any event, the harness that I disconnected was enough to give me enough room to lift the center console.
5) disconnect the rear AC socket, and this will allow you remove the rear cover.
6) pop out the storage compartment/ashtray on the back of the center console. I used a trim tool to depress the upper latch so that the compartment swings out. Then there will be 2 screws that you take out. These two screws secure the back cover to the center console. There's two spring clips at the top of the console that you can simply pop out by pulling the back cover directly back away from the center console.
7) once the rear cover is off, you have access to the vents from the back of the cover.

I know this explanation was basic, but if someone needs it, I can provide more detail.
I happened to accidentally break the tab off the center vent with a light tap. I’ll have to replace the vents now as well.

Rather than removing the entire center console arm rest - is it possible to just use a trim removal tool and remove only the rear trim around the vent?