M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Long time Bluetec owner with biodiesel concerns

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 ml350 bluetec, 08 bmw 135i, 12 F250 PSD
Long time Bluetec owner with biodiesel concerns

Our 2012 350 Bluetec has been a wonderful vehicle for our family needs and planned on keeping it for years to come. We currently have around 85k on the ML and it still runs flawlessly with great power and fuel economy.

My concern is that Minnesota has recently passed a B20 mandate for biodiesel which goes into effect next April. Our ML has been out of warranty for a while now, and I understand that Mercedes recommends no higher than B5 in the bluetec, but starting next year, I'm not going to have a choice. During the Spring/Summer months fuel stations will be required to sell b20 and then switch over to b5 in the colder months. My question is, will i have serious issues running b20 from April-Oct? My Mercedes tech does not have a definitive answer, but is telling me that i will have to continually check oil levels and change oil every 5k miles...and fuel filter more often. I guess if that's all I need to worry about, I'm ok with that as I change oil around 7-8k miles anyways, and changing it earlier is not a big deal. I'm mostly concerned about injectors, fuel rail, engine sludge etc.
Does anyone have experience or advice on running B20 in the Bluetec?