2012 ML350 Command Error solved

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 03:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2012 ML 350
2012 ML350 Command Error solved

Hi Guys
Since beginning of this year I was looking for the solution for my command system (which turn off and on itself and can not use any)

I will explain detailed symptom and every effort i did and finally the solution.
I am not mechanic but my engineering major helped me little bit to solve

So I hope this trick works for your situation too.

First of all, my car is 2012 ML350 so, it will be the W166 chassis, I am not sure this will work for the older version

1. What Happened
After I turn on my blue tooth (which I linked before) and plug in USB cable to charging my Samsung Note 3.
No problem was found before I unhooked the phone.

2. Symptom
Command screen keep on and off by itself and I can not control anything. Actually just few second at the beginning when it started then I can move knob,but back to freeze.

But funny thing was, when I turn off the command screen, and check my dash screen (I change the menu to navigation on that) it still shows my direction and street name on the screen.

So I guess navigation is still working but it does have problem to show on the command screen.

3. What I tried
I tried so many things which shows online
A. Check the fuse (unplug, wait certain time and plug back)

B. Disconnect battery ( I even discount 2ndary batter - EMB or something) and wait couple of hours - It only reset the clock

C. Even tried ECU reset - nothing happened.

D. Ask dealer, and they said I need $140 diagnosis test to find out - I said too much for check

E. Someone said online, maybe fiber optic issue - I don't have tools and I do not want to tried that much thing.

4. Find solution accidently
So, I almost forgot, but someday I just concern that why system keep start over and over.
For me it looks like kinda PC (Personal computer) symptom, when I insert wrong operation CD in the computer.

Then I tried to eject CD from the command system.
That was kinda tricky, because when hold the eject button, it does not work.
I push spontaneously every half second.
And walla!!
After CD ejected (The stupid CD which my wife's friend burned couple of music in) all works fine.

So I guess, wrong CD keep trying to run and system could not recognized.

But one more thing is, you have to have a same symptom I had to solve the issue.
Like screen powers on, when you turn off the screen still direction shows on DASH screen.

So try this CD eject trick and I hope it help you guys from ridiculous expensive charge to fix.

Good luck and drive safely

Last edited by jpntoys; 08-18-2017 at 03:06 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by jpntoys:
bmoeller72 (12-08-2021), Marcosvg (Yesterday), Tm royal (04-19-2024), Tracy Dzugan (03-25-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
Thumbs up Thank you!

Thank you for this! All of a sudden today this happened to mine, we tried resetting it and even took out the unit... My husband gave up and said we had to buy a new one, this one was fried. I was researching and researching and came by your post and asked my husband if he ever played a cd in the car. He thought I was nuts but went out, kept playing with the eject button until an old cd popped out and now it works!
Old 03-25-2020, 08:52 PM

2012 Mercedes ML 350 bluetec
I just wanted to thank you for sharing your post. I own a 2012 ML 350 and I had the same issue as you stated. Turns out that when I bought the vehicle used 2 years ago there was a CD in it I did not know about. I followed your steps and it worked. My command control center is working normal now. Thank you again for sharing. You saved me $$$
Tracy
Old 12-08-2021, 11:18 AM

ML350

Last edited by bmoeller72; 12-08-2021 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-08-2021, 11:29 AM

ML350
Not sure why the Command Control on my wifes 2012 ML350 started to malfunction? After pulling fuses etc and reading thread after thread about different fixes, I came across jpntoys thread about removing the CD in the drive. I was able to eject the CD that had probably been in there for several years and Wha-Lah success!!! Thank you for sharing this post. Seems to have solved the issue, in addition to saving me time and money!
Old 04-19-2024, 09:33 PM

2012 ml350
Originally Posted by jpntoys
Hi Guys
Since beginning of this year I was looking for the solution for my command system (which turn off and on itself and can not use any)

I will explain detailed symptom and every effort i did and finally the solution.
I am not mechanic but my engineering major helped me little bit to solve

So I hope this trick works for your situation too.

First of all, my car is 2012 ML350 so, it will be the W166 chassis, I am not sure this will work for the older version

1. What Happened
After I turn on my blue tooth (which I linked before) and plug in USB cable to charging my Samsung Note 3.
No problem was found before I unhooked the phone.

2. Symptom
Command screen keep on and off by itself and I can not control anything. Actually just few second at the beginning when it started then I can move knob,but back to freeze.

But funny thing was, when I turn off the command screen, and check my dash screen (I change the menu to navigation on that) it still shows my direction and street name on the screen.

So I guess navigation is still working but it does have problem to show on the command screen.

3. What I tried
I tried so many things which shows online
A. Check the fuse (unplug, wait certain time and plug back)

B. Disconnect battery ( I even discount 2ndary batter - EMB or something) and wait couple of hours - It only reset the clock

C. Even tried ECU reset - nothing happened.

D. Ask dealer, and they said I need $140 diagnosis test to find out - I said too much for check

E. Someone said online, maybe fiber optic issue - I don't have tools and I do not want to tried that much thing.

4. Find solution accidently
So, I almost forgot, but someday I just concern that why system keep start over and over.
For me it looks like kinda PC (Personal computer) symptom, when I insert wrong operation CD in the computer.

Then I tried to eject CD from the command system.
That was kinda tricky, because when hold the eject button, it does not work.
I push spontaneously every half second.
And walla!!
After CD ejected (The stupid CD which my wife's friend burned couple of music in) all works fine.

So I guess, wrong CD keep trying to run and system could not recognized.

But one more thing is, you have to have a same symptom I had to solve the issue.
Like screen powers on, when you turn off the screen still direction shows on DASH screen.

So try this CD eject trick and I hope it help you guys from ridiculous expensive charge to fix.

Good luck and drive safely
You have saved me a headache wow I can't believe it worked
Old 04-19-2024, 09:36 PM

2012 ml350
2012 ml350

Wow!!!!I can't belive I worked you have saved me a headache i already started to pull fuses out with no luck. So glad I came across your post. Thank you for sharing
Old 04-21-2024, 11:17 PM

ML350
Originally Posted by Tm royal
Wow!!!!I can't belive I worked you have saved me a headache i already started to pull fuses out with no luck. So glad I came across your post. Thank you for sharing
Same thing happened to my wifes a couple years back! Ended up there was a CD in the drive. Once we were able to get the disc out. Everything went back to normal. I cant believe MB doesnt tell people about this possible fix!!! We recently got rid of the vehicle and are now onto a 2023 GL450. Cant wait to try to diagnose those electrical nightmares!!! Til next time. Cheers!