M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

2013 ML350 Major Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML 350
2013 ML350 Major Transmission Problem

My 2013 ML350 with 54,000 miles is having transmission problems. After taking off from a stop sign, there was a somewhat loud "POP" and then the car wouldn't move. It wouldn't shift into drive or reverse. It was pushed into a parking lot and after putting it into park, I found that it still rolled. I had to put on the emergency brake so it wouldn't roll away. The car engine kept running the whole time. When trying to go into park or reverse there is a loud clicking sound. Not really grinding sounds, more of a harsh click. Trying to go the drive, there is no sound. It is at the dealer. They say they are backed up for 2 weeks. They said a new transmission might cost $10K to $15K. It might be a couple of months before I get my vehicle back. Any one had a similar problem? Any one had to replace a transmission? If so, how much was it including labor?
Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:04 PM
pcy
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
'14 ML350, '13 C220 CDI, '07 C280, '98 ML320
Originally Posted by bennynaas
My 2013 ML350 with 54,000 miles is having transmission problems. After taking off from a stop sign, there was a somewhat loud "POP" and then the car wouldn't move. It wouldn't shift into drive or reverse. It was pushed into a parking lot and after putting it into park, I found that it still rolled. I had to put on the emergency brake so it wouldn't roll away. The car engine kept running the whole time. When trying to go into park or reverse there is a loud clicking sound. Not really grinding sounds, more of a harsh click. Trying to go the drive, there is no sound. It is at the dealer. They say they are backed up for 2 weeks. They said a new transmission might cost $10K to $15K. It might be a couple of months before I get my vehicle back. Any one had a similar problem? Any one had to replace a transmission? If so, how much was it including labor?
Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
There are several other parts' failure can contribute to issue like that - such as, problem with transfer case, propeller shafts (aka drive shafts), etc. Without putting the truck on the lift, we'll just be guessing...

Hope it's not the transmission itself.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML350
I have the same problem with my 2013 ML350. Sometimes it will not move forward on an uphill after it is parked. Also, most of the time it will not back up at all if I park downhill. Yesterday it would not back up and it was making noise. I had to move forward one foot and then it engaged and it moved back. I bought this piece of crap brand new and it is terrible . These transmission problems started at 55,000 miles. Today It is about 68,000. I had another problem with the cruise control which occurred at 52,000 miles. It jerks my neck driving downhill only, steep hill. The dealership said that it was fine because they did not drive it on a steep downhill like I do. I live in the mountains of NC. My wife said that it gives her a headache; therefore, I cannot use the cruise control. I know that I have 2 fights with the dealership soon, but I do not blame the dealerships. Instead I blame the company in Germany that knows about the transmission problems since 2003 (9 model years affected since 2003) and they did not want to spend more time resolving them. 15 years later & same problems. How are they allowed to bring these vehicles with the continuous similar problems to the U.S. and then have the nerve not to admit to their failure and not to provide a recall to fix these transmission problems.??? somebody is getting paid a lot of money. I am very mad to have these problems with this expensive vehicle.
Nobody should be paying to fix the transmission at a low mileage. You should hire a lawyer. I will be doing the same thing if they do not fix the transmission problem. 81 people already reported these similar problems according to "Repair Pal website". MERCEDES should and must have A Recall to fix the transmission issues. It is a disgrace because the German engineers supposed to be great engineers.

LTC Simon Nour (Ret) U.S. Army

Last edited by simonnour; 12-30-2017 at 11:19 AM.