M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

leaking washer fluid? anyone have instructions to replace reservoir?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W166 ML350 Blutech
leaking washer fluid? anyone have instructions to replace reservoir?

It's freezing cold in Canada and I suspect the weather or time has caused a leak in my washer fluid reservoir. I would fill up and within a day or so, my warning light comes on indicating the fluid level is low. I wouldn't even use it too much.

A couple of questions:

1) should i worry about it leaking? Can the fluid safely drain through the engine bay?
2) can this be fixed by DIY?
3) anyone have instructions or experience with this?

thanks in advance.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 142 Likes on 128 Posts
2012 X6 35i Sport, 2013 ML 350 BT, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2020 CRV-AWD
If no one gets back to this thread with a procedure, I'll pop the hood on our 2013 and see if I can't shine some light on your question.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:32 AM
pcy
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
'14 ML350, '13 C220 CDI, '07 C280, '98 ML320
Before you go and buy a new tank, you should first find the source of the leak. Tank may not be the culprit.

I suspect the grommet on the washer fluid pump is leaking. Obviously, I am guessing [the source of the leak] without even looking at the car or leak. Based on my limited experience, I have seen that grommet leaking on several Merc and BMW cars. You can confirm the source of the leak by shining flash light on the washer pump where it attaches to the tank.

On other Merc and BMW vehicles, I removed the front left (drivers side in US) wheel, then peeled the front portion of the wheel liner. You will see the washer fluid tank. You will see washer pump. On some vehicles, there are 2 pumps (one for headlight washers and the other for windshield washers and rears). Cost of that grommet shouldn't me more than few dollars. That grommet comes with the strainer (to filter dust particles in the water). Put a pail or something under the tank to catch the washer fluid. Pull up the pump straight up (use screw driver as leverage, if necessary). Remove the grommet and install new one (just insert the grommet on to the stem of the pump and insert the grommet plus the pump in to the receiving hole in the tank. Fill up the tank. Check for leaks, button-up the wheel liner. Install the wheel.

You really don't need to remove the wheel, you just need to turn the wheel all the way inside (towards right). Removing the wheel makes the job easier, especially if you are doing this first time.

Last edited by pcy; 02-07-2018 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:41 AM
pcy
MBWorld Fanatic!

Above picture is from my BMW (530i). Arrow is pointing to the grommet I was referring to. Shape of the tank and specific location of the pump may vary but the concept is the same on these vehicles. I will see if I have a picture from my MB C280.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
ML350d w166
Originally Posted by pcy
Before you go and buy a new tank, you should first find the source of the leak. Tank may not be the culprit.

I suspect the grommet on the washer fluid pump is leaking. Obviously, I am guessing [the source of the leak] without even looking at the car or leak. Based on my limited experience, I have seen that grommet leaking on several Merc and BMW cars. You can confirm the source of the leak by shining flash light on the washer pump where it attaches to the tank.

On other Merc and BMW vehicles, I removed the front left (drivers side in US) wheel, then peeled the front portion of the wheel liner. You will see the washer fluid tank. You will see washer pump. On some vehicles, there are 2 pumps (one for headlight washers and the other for windshield washers and rears). Cost of that grommet shouldn't me more than few dollars. That grommet comes with the strainer (to filter dust particles in the water). Put a pail or something under the tank to catch the washer fluid. Pull up the pump straight up (use screw driver as leverage, if necessary). Remove the grommet and install new one (just insert the grommet on to the stem of the pump and insert the grommet plus the pump in to the receiving hole in the tank. Fill up the tank. Check for leaks, button-up the wheel liner. Install the wheel.

You really don't need to remove the wheel, you just need to turn the wheel all the way inside (towards right). Removing the wheel makes the job easier, especially if you are doing this first time.
This is correct, but to make a fix (google for $5 rubber nipple set from princess auto) on w166 require to take off wheel cover.

Overwise, replacing water tank is very costly as it comes in one assemble including water line with heating and cost $$$
Old 02-20-2018, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c250
Any luck?

Just had the washeruid tank changed on my c250 2016 by a friend due to a crackinthe bottle near the rubber grommets on the bottom. However there was 2 nozzles at the top of the tank which leaked red fluid whilst changing. Any idea what fluid this could have been? Thanks in advance
Old 02-22-2018, 12:52 PM
pcy
MBWorld Fanatic!

Those nozzles may be for the headlight washers (if your car is equipped with headlight washers).
Red fluid? May be grit/particles turned that stuck fluid [in those nozzles] in to red color due to not using those washers for a long time. Just a guess...
Old 02-22-2018, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c250
Red fluid

Been told it could be the transmission fluid running through the same bottle as its sectioned off inside. Not sure how true this is though. Cheers
Old 02-22-2018, 03:55 PM
pcy
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by zeeshan amjad
Been told it could be the transmission fluid running through the same bottle as its sectioned off inside. Not sure how true this is though. Cheers
Transmission fluid sharing the same tank as windshield washer fluid? ___NO___
Whoever told you that, I'd stay away from that person. :-)