MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   New Members Check In! (https://mbworld.org/forums/new-members-check-179/)
-   -   Hi all! Question from a first timer.. (https://mbworld.org/forums/new-members-check/745074-hi-all-question-first-timer.html)

Lorib 05-19-2019 05:58 PM

Hi all! Question from a first timer..

I am in the market for a used convertible. I thought I decided on either a preowned C or E class, probably a 2016/17. This is a big deal for me, for so many reasons, but people are making me nervous about reliability. This would be preowned, which, to begin with, I've never done before, and also quite a bit more luxurious than I've treated myself to in the past.

I'd love to hear honest comments on the upkeep (other than normal maintenance) of either of these models.

Thanks!
Lorib

chassis 05-19-2019 07:58 PM

Welcome! Congratulations on the new vehicle search.

Do do lots of homework. People on this site can help.

General, not C- or E-Class specific comments:

-avoid diesel models because of well documented reliability problems with emissions related components

- avoid high performance models because of generally higher maintenance expense, and because they may have been driven over-aggressively by the previous owner. Conversely if you want a high performance version, be aware of higher maintenance costs.

- seek a model with remaining factory warranty. For Mercedes-Benz, this is 4 years or 50,000 miles. Certified Preowned (CPO) cars often include some additional warranty coverage beyond 4/50,000 as part of the purchase price.

- buy from a Mercedes dealer if possible, they know these cars best

My opinion on purchased extended warranties is that they are not financially in the best interest of most people. This is subjective and hotly debated. Insurance of all flavors, including extended warranties, is priced to the advantage of the seller. With that in mind, when the car is out of warranty, any repair will be your responsibility. If you prefer certainty of expense over total financial benefit, an extended warranty may be right for you.

Have fun with the search and keep posting questions.

Nor Cal SL55 05-20-2019 09:00 AM

Welcome Lorib!

Tell us more about the a model you are looking for yourself. These are the questions that are most important as Mercedes has vehicles that fit many needs. Do you need a convertible that will be able to hold 5 people? Sportier model for 2? Performance? How much performance are you looking for? Etc.

Sounds like you are still undecided on the model. Also sounds like you want a 2-3 year old vehicle. Mercedes models have changed dramatically over the last 10 years and you should look for a vehicle with the features you want!

MJ50 05-20-2019 10:00 AM

welcome aboard & good luck with purchase... :y

Lorib 05-20-2019 05:52 PM

Thanks for responding all!

I am looking for a backseat. I will rarely have anyone back there, but I drive a lot for work so need the space. I also am quite active and need room for all the... stuff... that goes along with that.

I'm coming off an EOS so I'm not that concerned about performance with a Mercedes, I'm sure it's better than the VW.

Yes, I'm looking for preowned. This is my first time dabbling in a more "luxury" brand. (Exhubs has had the BMW's, Lexus etc. but not me!) Now it's for me!

Not having much luck finding a used cabriolet, but I'm holding out... One is bound to come up and I'm hoping to find one that doesn't end up living at the mechanic, so dependability is crucial.

Any advice is very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Lori

chassis 05-20-2019 09:47 PM

There are many E400 cabriolets for sale on CarGurus that fit your specifications. The E will have more back seat space than the C.

Do you have a price in mind?

Lorib 05-21-2019 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by chassis (Post 7760095)
There are many E400 cabriolets for sale on CarGurus that fit your specifications. The E will have more back seat space than the C.

Do you have a price in mind?

I was hoping in the 30-32k range. The local dealership is looking for me, but tell me it's hard to find a convertible. Ideally I want a certified pre-owned, correct? I've never purchased preowned before so am new to this. Thanks for your help!

chassis 05-21-2019 08:56 PM

There are around a dozen E400 cabriolets in the country on CarGurus in the $30k-$35k price range, less than 30,000 miles, 2016 or 2017 model years.
None are listed as CPO. To be sure about CPO status, contact with the seller is necessary.

Dealers may have access to other inventory databases. My opinion is that prices for such vehicles would be higher than CarGurus. CPO may add more to the purchase price.

CPO normally includes an extended warranty, an insurance policy. The buyer pays for this. It's your choice whether you pay for CPO or not. What is your experience owning vehicles that are beyond factory warranty?

You may have to be patient to find a vehicle with your requirements, at your price. Or be willing to move on price to check all of your boxes.

Try playing around with the search filters on CarGurus to see if you find more of what you are looking for.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...sModified=true

Lorib 05-21-2019 09:48 PM

Thanks for your help! LOL I suppose I could be asking my ex husband these questions, but not sure I'd get the correct answers. 😉 I have kept cars beyond manufacturers warranty in the past, but zero experience with preowned. Typically when a vehicle starts needing money pumped into it, I trade it in.