S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

2014 S-class

Old 04-06-2013, 10:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Silver CLS550, Blk M45, Lexus GX470 & an endless fleet of Avis Premium Rental Cars
I think they got this one right! I hope Hyundai doesnt copy it
Old 04-06-2013, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
Originally Posted by CakeDaddy
I think they got this one right! I hope Hyundai doesnt copy it
I was dating a girl who worked for Hyundai and she took home the new Equus. A good value but totally a lack of innovation in everyway possible. It just seemed that nothing inside or outside was Hyundai. It looked and felt like every luxury car from Buick to a Bentley mated and came up with this. The interior and fit and finish was nothing like you get on a BMW or Mercedes or even a Lexus. It was nice but for a near $80,000 I would not even consider it.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mercede...-price-rumours

The Mercedes S-Class release date is set for 15 May, but what can we expect to see?

Update: The new Mercedes S-Class will be revealed at special event in 15 May. Auto Express will review the 2013 S-Class in July, with the car expected to get its motor show debut at the Frankfurt show in September. The S-Class release date for UK customers is thought to be around October 213.

The new Mercedes S-Class has been spied completely undisguised, months ahead of its official debut in a promotional video shoot.

The S-Class won't be revealed until May but these pictures show us what we can expect from the all-new BMW 7 Series rival.

Initially previewed by the Mercedes Aesthetics S sculpture at the Paris Motor Show last September, the new S-Class uses a familiar set of proportions, but with more elegant bodywork than its predecessor and some stunning attention to detail.

At the front, a larger grille is flanked by full LED headlights, along with blade-like LED running lights below, while the profile features two smooth creases and neater rear wheel arches. The rear is reminiscent of the new CLA, with a curved boot lid, LED lights and a strip of chrome to finish the exhausts.

Mercedes- S-Class interior

The new Mercedes S-Class will be a technological and luxury tour de force when it goes on sale at the end of this year, featuring advanced infotainment systems, a top end hi-fi and five-star luxury.

Most systems are controlled through twin ultra wide (8:3 ratio) 12.3-inch TFT screens on the dash that appear to float within and oversized, leather clad binnacle. Background lighting around the twin displays and throughout the car can be tailored using different colours and intensities, while traditional circular vents and an analogue clock feature lower down the dash. There are also beautifully-crafted Bentley style stoppers that control the airflow through the vents.

To complete the luxury feel, only wood, aluminium and leather (which includes Mercedes Artico-imitation hide) is used inside, there are no plastic bits.

Plenty of attention has been paid to reduce noise, vibration and harshness throughout the new S-Class. The white noise created as a car cruises on the motorway is at a lower frequency, making conversation easier. But Mercedes has eschewed clever noise cancelling technology, preferring to engineer sound-deadening solutions into the car.

The climate control system can be specified with Air Balance, a system that ionizes and filters the air, and comes with an active perfume system that cleverly spreads one of four scents throughout the cabin – all for €350 (£300). The perfume capsules should last about a year, when they cost €59 (£50) to replace.

New seats also feature with fast-acting heating and cooling functions plus massaging seats that mimic a hot stone massage. Luxury seating in the back will recline by 45 per cent with a foot and calf rest, while the passenger seat will fold forward for maximum legroom.

Mercedes has ditched Bang and Olufsen for German top end hi-fi maker Burmester, which is offering a 3D sound system in the car. A couple of speakers in the roof heighten the sound stage and give a boost to vocals, while there’s 1500 watts of power and 24 single channel speakers. It sounds really powerful with strong bass and fast reactions, but in our brief tests it lacked a little fine detail that the very best in-car systems have.

Models with rear screens allow four different entertainment zones, with separate audio and video inputs for each. Of course, there’s Bluetooth audio streaming (and telephone connection), but the latest wireless Kleer technology is used for headphone connections.

The S-Class will also let you tag a track you hear on the radio, which will then be transferred to your iPhone to be downloaded next time it’s connected to iTunes. Full iPhone Siri integration is also included, but Android users will be frustrated that full connectivity for them is a little way away yet. The app that can control the infotainment system will be available on Android and Apple devices, though.

Google plays a role with full internet access (on three screens – one in the front and two in the back), while Google street view is available on the navigation system. There’s also three years’ worth of TomTom Live traffic information as standard.

The screen that displays speed and revs is slightly less customizable, but will show some new features. They include the fully autonomous parking system that will not only fully control parking, but will help you out of the space, too. Attention assist will now rate your attention level, while the Eco Score will similarly rank how efficient you are behind the wheel.

That won’t be all, of course (did we mention the heated armrests?). Before we drive the car in the summer, we’ll get more details of the safety systems and engines that will include hybrids and plug-in hybrids. But rest assured, it’s set to be the most advanced car in the world.

Mercedes S-Class safety

The new Mercedes S-Class will be one of the most advanced passenger cars ever built. Key to the new car's high-tech success is an interconnected set of 26 sensors spread around the car, which feed information about the car’s surroundings to three separate ECUs. We explain how it works.

Mercedes S-Class Distronic Plus with Steering Assist
The Distronic Plus adaptive cruise control now includes Steering Assist. As long as the car senses that you have a hand on the steering wheel, the S-Class will automatically steer to keep you in your lane, as well as accelerating and braking automatically at speeds between 19mph and 124mph.

Crossing traffic braking assistance
The S-Class already features automatic emergency braking and in the new car, it works at speeds of up to 45mph. But the clever part is that the system can recognise traffic crossing in front of you, which is said to be a world first

Upgraded traffic sign recognition
The S-Class has an impressive traffic sign recognition facility. Not only does the system recognise speed limit signs, it can also show upcoming lane closures, no entry signs and temporary speed limit signs.

No excuse for falling asleep at the wheel
An improved version of the Attention Assist system can now monitor the driver’s drowsiness at speeds between 37mph and 124mph. You can tell the car if you feel tired when you start driving, too, so it knows to flash and beep a warning at you sooner.

Mercedes S-Class can park itself
A series of ultrasound sensors allow the S-Class to park itself autonomously. The car operates the steering and brakes, and drives at up to 6mph to reverse park into a bay. And not only can the car parallel park in spaces a metre longer than the car, it can drive itself back out again, too.

Avoiding rear impacts
A new multi-mode rear sensor detects if a vehicle is about to crash into the back of your S-Class. When stationary, if a vehicle is closing too fast on your car, first the S-Class flashes its indicators as a warning. If an impact is sensed, the S-Class holds on the brakes, so that you avoid a secondary collision.

Flashing at hidden pedestrians
The headlights are connected to upgraded infrared sensors which can pick out pedestrians standing in the dark, which are then spotlighted by one of two LEDs in the right headlamp with a flashing beam so that the driver notices them.

Night vision improvements
Thanks to improvements in the S-Class’s sensors, the night vision can now detect animals up to 100 metres away, as well as pedestrians up to 160 metres away in the dark. If something is sensed, a sharp, infrared image appears on the TFT dials, highlighting the obstacle in red.

More S-Class models

When the all-new Mercedes S-Class arrives later this year it will be the first of six new models to wear the S-Class badge. The revelation came from none other than Dr Dieter Zetsche, CEO of Mercedes, at the world premier of the new CLA-Class on the eve of the Detroit Motor Show.

"2013 is the year of the all-new S-Class. Our ambition to lead is embodied by this new car," Zetsche told us. "We will grow the S-Class family to include six models - and the debut is just a few months away."

The first of the six will be the standard S-Class, which Mercedes claims will set new standards in comfort and safety, as well as sporting a dynamic new design previewed by the Aesthetics S sculpture at the Paris Motor Show last September.

Following that will be am S-Class Coupe (formerly known as the CL-Class), plus a three-door S-Class Cabriolet. The remaining three are expected to be an S-Class Estate, a hot AMG version and a stretched wheelbase, ultra-luxurious Pullman to replace the now-defunct Maybach.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S500
Now with all these innovations they should teach the S-Class how to keep itself nice and shiny..lol..
Old 04-20-2013, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Found out today that the car is not coming out with Designo until CY 2014. Now what to do?

Also S600 in CY 2014.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
Originally Posted by C280 Sport
I was dating a girl who worked for Hyundai and she took home the new Equus. A good value but totally a lack of innovation in everyway possible. It just seemed that nothing inside or outside was Hyundai. It looked and felt like every luxury car from Buick to a Bentley mated and came up with this. The interior and fit and finish was nothing like you get on a BMW or Mercedes or even a Lexus. It was nice but for a near $80,000 I would not even consider it.
Everything Hyundai does is a cheaper, less-innovative euro-knock off. They are way better than they were even a few years back quality wise but still definitely a no-buy for anyone used to the craftsmanship and innovation of a good German car.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Overall I like the new 2014 S-Class. Definitely different and I'm sure it'll take me a while to get used to it, but in person as many have said before me in this thread it seems like the car will look even better. From the look of the interior craftsmanship it seems really up to date and high quality. Can't wait to see it at the dealership for the first time when it's shipped. Ultimately, a gorgeous car for sure.

My question though is WHY on earth would they go from a Bang & Olufsen sound system in the AMG (at least the S65, not sure about the S63) to a Burmester. I don't know much about car audio but I do know that B&O is one of the finest companies for audio on earth and it would be a shame if they were abandoning it for a cheaper system. Maybe someone can correct me on this, and while I bet they have their reasons, I don't like that change.

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 04-20-2013 at 02:39 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK500 2003, S 600 Model 2007
Top products from Burmester

www.burmester.de/en/Company/Handmade-in-Germany/
Old 04-20-2013, 08:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach
Overall I like the new 2014 S-Class. Definitely different and I'm sure it'll take me a while to get used to it, but in person as many have said before me in this thread it seems like the car will look even better. From the look of the interior craftsmanship it seems really up to date and high quality. Can't wait to see it at the dealership for the first time when it's shipped. Ultimately, a gorgeous car for sure.

My question though is WHY on earth would they go from a Bang & Olufsen sound system in the AMG (at least the S65, not sure about the S63) to a Burmester. I don't know much about car audio but I do know that B&O is one of the finest companies for audio on earth and it would be a shame if they were abandoning it for a cheaper system. Maybe someone can correct me on this, and while I bet they have their reasons, I don't like that change.
Burmester is as good if not better than the B&O system
Old 04-20-2013, 01:22 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
‘23 Rivian R1S, ‘22 Maybach S, ‘24 Range Rover Autobiography, ‘22 Tesla X, &
I have Burmester in my 911 and think it is terrific. B&O has always been more about aesthetics over sound.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:37 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Everything Hyundai does is a cheaper, less-innovative euro-knock off. They are way better than they were even a few years back quality wise but still definitely a no-buy for anyone used to the craftsmanship and innovation of a good German car.
Amen brother
Old 04-20-2013, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by LovinMercedes
Found out today that the car is not coming out with Designo until CY 2014. Now what to do?

Also S600 in CY 2014.
Who told you about the delay of designo? Is it calendar year 2014? If so it could still be MY14 - just delayed by few months. If this is true, I am not happy either as I was looking forward to getting one this year.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Originally Posted by Tomshop
I have Burmester in my 911 and think it is terrific. B&O has always been more about aesthetics over sound.
My knowledge on this is so limited that you are probably right, so I guess that is a win for S-Class buyers.

As for Hyperion, glad I'm not the only one that thinks so
Old 04-21-2013, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hyundai thinks its grabbing a share of the luxury market with its equus but if you look at the North American sales its almost nothing, in Canada we have something called an "Equus Dealership" which are only a few off, they lease out maybe one a month, the depreciation is really bad too, far far worse than an E-class or S-class. I do think the Equus is a good S-class knock off but the price of about 80k for a fully loaded one in Canada is a joke. It actually costs just slightly less to lease than a similarly equipped 5 series or E550.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Exactly. And I would much rather drive an E500 or a 5-Series, as the Hyundai has nothing on similar German cars. A tell-tale sign of the knock off is the rebadging Hyundai does in some markets where they don't even use their H logo on some of their models to keep their official nameplate off of the car to 1) keep people guessing 2) not associate their history of poor quality with their new car.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by cookstar
Burmester is as good if not better than the B&O system
Correct. Audio-wise Burmester is considered step-up from B&O and of course eons above Harmon Kardon. Great choice!
Old 04-24-2013, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
What do you consider the top car audio company in the world right now? OEM and After-Market.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What do you consider the top car audio company in the world right now? OEM and After-Market.
Meridian, Burmester..... Rolls Royce uses Lexicon which I haven't heard but I assume its quite good.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Isn't Lexicon owned by Harman?
Old 04-24-2013, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
The top is probably Harmon International. They make Harmon Kardon, Mark Levinson, Infinity, Lexicon, Harmon Becker, Becker, and many other familiar names. The new Acura RLX is using Krell, another high end name. Subaru used McIntosh for a while.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Isn't Lexicon owned by Harman?
yes it is.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Ah right on, and I've never been in a Subaru that had a nice sounding audio system lol. Even the STi, in my personal opinion, is a tin can of a car. Excellent drive-train but I wouldn't consider it bank-vault solid like many German cars, albeit that it isn't supposed to be nor is it competing in the same segment.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:51 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
04 Lexus LS430
Bowers and Wilkins is incredible. They're in the Maserati Quattroporte.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
You mean the poor man's Ferrari?

Looking at their products I think that they are a bit like B&O. Granted I've never heard the system, nor am I a trained audio professional but it seems like more aesthetics than pure audio performance. While Maserati is an exclusive nameplate I would consider an AMG S-Class first if I had the money for either - much higher quality, more powerful, and more desirable. That's just my opinion.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You mean the poor man's Ferrari?

Looking at their products I think that they are a bit like B&O. Granted I've never heard the system, nor am I a trained audio professional but it seems like more aesthetics than pure audio performance. While Maserati is an exclusive nameplate I would consider an AMG S-Class first if I had the money for either - much higher quality, more powerful, and more desirable. That's just my opinion.
lol especially now that they are putting a V6 into it.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.50 average.

Quick Reply: 2014 S-class