Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
--
Glimpses of s63 In Production Trim

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11306145...s63-amg--video
Old 06-15-2013, 01:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Interesting to see the car from that angle. Just like our new SL, the new S-Class seems to have high wheel offsets so the wheels are sitting just too much inwards.

I like a bit more aggressive stance than what I saw in the video...
Old 06-15-2013, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S63
I dont like the front bumper! I am not a fan of the new style. looks like the car sits too high. It kinda looks cheap IMO.

what do you guys think?
Old 06-16-2013, 05:19 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Looks quite boring for what I'd expect and dopey from the front IMO. I think the regular Sport Package looks more cunning than the S63 bumper.

My girlfriend saw the video and goes "Hey, it's your old car" (referring to my white W212's). Whaddaya know, I wouldn't need the W222 after all. I actually think the pre-facelift W212's front is a lot more aggressive with that nicely aggressively "pointed" grille.

Originally Posted by 1bad63
I dont like the front bumper! I am not a fan of the new style. looks like the car sits too high. It kinda looks cheap IMO.

what do you guys think?
Agreed. I seem to be the only person here not going gaga over the new S, as I just don't see anything that spectacular about it, but that video made it look unflattering to me in quite a few different ways. I really think without the marketing fluff all around it, on the roads, it's not gonna be anything too special in a year or two after launch.

Last edited by K-A; 06-16-2013 at 05:27 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:23 PM

--
Rest assured this thing will look bada$$ on the road and in the flesh.

Don't be too quick to judge based on these images.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 940 Likes on 686 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by K-A
Looks quite boring for what I'd expect and dopey from the front IMO. I think the regular Sport Package looks more cunning than the S63 bumper.

My girlfriend saw the video and goes "Hey, it's your old car" (referring to my white W212's). Whaddaya know, I wouldn't need the W222 after all. I actually think the pre-facelift W212's front is a lot more aggressive with that nicely aggressively "pointed" grille.

Agreed. I seem to be the only person here not going gaga over the new S, as I just don't see anything that spectacular about it, but that video made it look unflattering to me in quite a few different ways. I really think without the marketing fluff all around it, on the roads, it's not gonna be anything too special in a year or two after launch.

Seriously??? Name one BMW that evens comes close to the desirability of this car? I'll save you the thinking. None, nada, zip.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:30 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by MBNUT1
Seriously??? Name one BMW that evens comes close to the desirability of this car? I'll save you the thinking. None, nada, zip.
I can name a few of of them that I think have better and more balanced designs.... Don't know why BMW gets singled out though.

Desirability of the S-nameplate is off the charts for every release. I think this one will age comparatively poorly with those lines. Time will tell. I understand that the M-B devotees and many in general are going bonkers over it, though IMO it's because M-B finally released something lately that doesn't look highly questionable. It's that psychological "we needed this and we'll run with it" effect, IMO. But rest assured, it seems I'm in the minority.... currently.

Last edited by K-A; 06-16-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
BMW get's singled out for two reasons first you drive one and are criticizing a Mercedes and second by and large they are ugly relative to their Mercedes counterparts. I mean take a seven series for example. It is a total snoozefest visually.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 06-16-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:44 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by MBNUT1
BMW get's singled out for two reasons first you drive one and are criticizing a Mercedes and second by and large they are ugly relative to their Mercedes counterparts.
So, I've had 4 straight Mercedes' and due to their "ugly" recent designs and engineering standstills, was driven over to BMW. I guess we disagree. I'll be scouring M-B designs for signs of hope. What's funny to me is how personal some M-B loyalists/devotees/fanboys get towards someone with a dissenting opinion wearing a different badge around his neck (or so you'd think). I'll credit it to a product inferiority complex? Don't worry, the W222 should be the most advanced car out there (it better be), at least after the 9G Tronic comes out in 2015. So you'll have that to hold that over the "BMW enemies" heads when they dare criticize Mercedes, by and large.

EDIT: Something else that's funny is how many times I was called an "M-B Fanboy" until the CLS came out which started the M-B design trend that grew me more and more vocally against the brands designs. The last thing I have is a BMW bias, at least not yet (way too green).

Last edited by K-A; 06-16-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by K-A
So, I've had 4 straight Mercedes' and due to their "ugly" recent designs and engineering standstills, was driven over to BMW. I guess we disagree. I'll be scouring M-B designs for signs of hope. What's funny to me is how personal some M-B loyalists/devotees/fanboys get towards someone with a dissenting opinion wearing a different badge around his neck (or so you'd think). I'll credit it to a product inferiority complex? Don't worry, the W222 should be the most advanced car out there (it better be), at least after the 9G Tronic comes out in 2015. So you'll have that to hold that over the "BMW enemies" heads when they dare criticize Mercedes, by and large.

EDIT: Something else that's funny is how many times I was called an "M-B Fanboy" until the CLS came out which started the M-B design trend that grew me more and more vocally against the brands designs. The last thing I have is a BMW bias, at least not yet (way too green).
Rants over design are tiresome and not too I interesting to read. There will always be somebody disliking one car or another or reminicing over times past. I hold my opinion until i have seen it in the flesh.

There are plenty of members on Bimmerfest complaining about their cars. So what?
The new S is the most modern and technologically advanced car around. There is no other brand that has anything close to it in the offering for the next couple of years. Cars get better, design changes...
Old 06-17-2013, 02:28 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Wolfman
Rants over design are tiresome and not too I interesting to read. There will always be somebody disliking one car or another or reminicing over times past. I hold my opinion until i have seen it in the flesh.

There are plenty of members on Bimmerfest complaining about their cars. So what?
The new S is the most modern and technologically advanced car around. There is no other brand that has anything close to it in the offering for the next couple of years. Cars get better, design changes...
Technologically yes, and driving wise in this class, yes it should. Design is another story and is up to interpretation. Certainly there's nothing about this design (or most designs for that matter) that is so off the wall it doesn't deserve a dissenting opinion. Funny thing about the S is that it isn't the fact that it's a drastic difference from before.... it's very much similar to before, it's just the details which I question.

Yes, exactly, Bimmerfest is one of the most active and well rounded Forums out there, and it's full of owners who either critically think their own cars or "outside brand'ers" who harp on things all the time which turn into huge discussions. MBWorld is a ghost town in comparison with a much more clinical form of "enthusiasm", and dissenters get told to "go away", then oddly enough the forums become a bore-fest of cliche questioned threads. Just look at the W212 Forums after I left my W212's. People from other M-B models used to come in and say it was the most "fun" forum, now not really.

I think the W222 S63 looks really bad in that video and which further feeds some of my setbacks already about it, which is the whole topic of this thread (view of the W222 in that video). Then I took the flame-bait. My fault I guess.

Last edited by K-A; 06-17-2013 at 02:32 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:00 AM

--
I don't spend a ton of time on these boards, but here, just like everywhere else, it takes some people time to warm up to a new design. Others like it right off the bat. Others never come around to it.

For those that aren't really feeling the new s, bear in mind, that design has been honed by a bunch of designers for years. They've also had the luxury of seeing it in the flesh, and in clay designs before that. I'm going to give those guys the benefit of the doubt this time like I do any other until I see the car in the flesh. It's no different than when your favorite artist puts out a new album that he/she/they switched gears on. Gotta let it marinate a bit

K-A, I value your opinions, but I do recall you not liking the w212 at all before warming up to it and owning it not once but twice. Maybe you'll have a similar change of heart with the w222 once you see a couple.

Last edited by bonboon; 06-17-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:28 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by eliontakis
I don't spend a ton of time on these boards, but here, just like everywhere else, it takes some people time to warm up to a new design. Others like it right off the bat. Others never come around to it.

For those that aren't really feeling the new s, bear in mind, that design has been honed by a bunch of designers for years. They've also had the luxury of seeing it in the flesh, and in clay designs before that. I'm going to give those guys the benefit of the doubt this time like I do any other until I see the car in the flesh. It's no different than when your favorite artist puts out a new album that he/she/they switched gears on. Gotta let it marinate a bit

K-A, I value your opinions, but I do recall you not liking the w212 at all before warming up to it and owning it not once but twice. Maybe you'll have a similar change of heart with the w222 once you see a couple.
Thanks eliontakis. That's true, but the W212 was a peculiar situation as I had just gotten a W211 which I adored which I think played a political factor in my mind. I really literally *hated* the W212 and practically obsessed about it.... naturally as is usually the case, that focus turned into adoration and "want factor".

This W222 I absolutely certainly don't "hate" in any way, shape or form, especially compared to how I viewed the W212. I just don't find it to be that "impressive" I guess, and it carries over a lot of M-B design language that happened after the W212 that really turned me away from the brand. The CLS I really disliked at launch like I did the W212, and for the record I like the CLS less than I did at first.... I even considered getting one, recently drove one, and came away unimpressed.

The W222 may change that, indeed. Contrary to the knee-jerk reactions to my apparent negativity to the W222, I'm not positioned for or against it yet. I can't wait to get my eyes, hands and feet on it like the rest of you. I'll be first in line to drive one!
Old 06-17-2013, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by K-A

Been around these cars way longer than you have been alive. Hardly a fanboy. Certainly the latest iteration of E class particularly the sport version is a WTF. But the W222 is beautiful in the classic Mercedes way that no twin kidney will ever be.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:02 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

You know that's all simply your opinion, right, with no rationale backup behind it?

Emotion is a strong tie, and more power to you if you feel that's the case. I felt that with my W212's after my initial hate turned into love.

I don't see that from the W222 and I don't think it has the harmony of previous Mercedes designs.

Think what you will about the twin-kidney, it doesn't effect me at all. My money will flow into whatever is best for me. Till then, I'll b*tch, moan, praise, adore as I see fit, as will you, and that's what makes car forums.

Oh, and I'd hope the W222 will be a "classic Mercedes" in no way that the "twin-kidney will ever be". Last time I checked, BMW weren't trying to make Mercedes classics.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
The day a BMW sedan is beautiful in any way will be a first. I did qualify sedan because there have been BMW sports cars that aren't too hard on the eyes.Also in terms of being able to judge automotive beauty I can't begin to tell you how many times I was told my black on black W211 was a beautiful car.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 06-17-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:41 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Sounds like somebody's projecting an inferiority complex.

You don't have to sell me on the W211. I think it's one of the most beautiful and timeless Sedans of all time. I still see them and admire. I actually find myself missing my W211 more than I do my W212's.

If only Mercedes designed them with that holistic integrity anymore.