S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

S63 AMG vs. S63 AMG 4MATIC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N/A
S63 AMG vs. S63 AMG 4MATIC

Is the only difference between these two cars the fact that the S63 AMG comes with MAGIC BODY CONTROL and the S63 AMG 4MATIC comes with AIRMATIC? Everything else is the same?
Old 07-18-2013, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Kain
Is the only difference between these two cars the fact that the S63 AMG comes with MAGIC BODY CONTROL and the S63 AMG 4MATIC comes with AIRMATIC? Everything else is the same?
There is no S63 AMG with MBC - atleast in the US. I have not read any reports of a S63 having MBC

S63 comes standard with 4matic
Old 07-18-2013, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as I understand, people outside US will have a choice of LWB+MBC or LWB+4matic+Airmatic or SWB+MBC. US is LWB+4matic+Airmatic only.

All else is, I believe, the same. There is only one state of tune, AFAIK, which is 585hp/900NM.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Pagani
As far as I understand, people outside US will have a choice of LWB+MBC or LWB+4matic+Airmatic or SWB+MBC. US is LWB+4matic+Airmatic only.

All else is, I believe, the same. There is only one state of tune, AFAIK, which is 585hp/900NM.
No AMG will come with Airmatic. Just standard ABC...

Correction. I am just reading the same but find this really surprising if truly the case. That would be a first. Airmatic has always been the low-end adaptive suspension option without the ability to control body roll. Without the high-pressure system of ABC this really is not doable.

I'll wait for official confirmation from MB before I believe it though...

Last edited by Wolfman; 07-18-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:15 PM

N/A
Found this:

The 2014 S63 AMG 4MATIC is fitted with AMG ADAPTIVE sports suspension. The full air suspension system AIRMATIC is equipped with the Adaptive Damping System ADS PLUS. One new feature is the continuous damping adjustment, which can be controlled independently in the compression stage and rebound stage. It allows better adaptation to the driving and road-surface conditions. "Comfort" and "Sport" suspension modes can be selected at the push of a button. Specific front axle kinematics – including higher camber, a larger anti-roll bar and a stiffer subframe carrier on the rear axle – have been developed exclusively for the S63 AMG 4MATIC. These measures optimize the vehicle's agility when driving dynamically. With the redesigned front axle and the special all-wheel-drive set-up, the S63 AMG 4MATIC represents a new dimension in its segment when it comes to driving dynamics.
http://www.boldride.com/ride/2014/me...s63-amg-4matic

Is this something new? Is it like ABC?
Old 07-18-2013, 09:37 PM

That is PR for "this is the same suspension that comes on base S550, but we have several new features on it" etc etc. Like when they would add Speedshift R to the old 5-speed transmission to make owners feel good about skipping the 7-speeder back in the day.

Frankly I found it disheartening that there would be no ABC on an AMG that I have been rooting on for nearly a decade (AMG with 4-matic). But apparently ABC (now MBC) is so heavy and space-consuming, that it is mutually exclusive with the 4-matic system. Having been spoilt by ABC, I have no clue how an Airmatic AMG will feel (I have not been inside an E- or CLS-amg yet).
Old 07-19-2013, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Pagani
That is PR for "this is the same suspension that comes on base S550, but we have several new features on it" etc etc. Like when they would add Speedshift R to the old 5-speed transmission to make owners feel good about skipping the 7-speeder back in the day.

Frankly I found it disheartening that there would be no ABC on an AMG that I have been rooting on for nearly a decade (AMG with 4-matic). But apparently ABC (now MBC) is so heavy and space-consuming, that it is mutually exclusive with the 4-matic system. Having been spoilt by ABC, I have no clue how an Airmatic AMG will feel (I have not been inside an E- or CLS-amg yet).
Agreed. Our new 2013 SL550 came without the now $4k ABC option and the ride quality was definitely inferior in any way. It didn't really dawn on me that Mercedes would sell a $120k car with springs as we have had SL's with ABC for the last 12 years (SL55, SL600).

Due to a weather related event we ended up getting another SL and this time we picked one again with ABC. What a difference!

I swear by ABC, definitely in an AMG 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive...
Old 07-19-2013, 05:43 PM

N/A
One more question. We know the 2015 S-Class will come with a new 9G-TRONIC transmission. Does this mean the 2015 AMGs will also get an MCT transmission based on the new 9G-TRONIC or will they continue with the MCT based on the 7G-TRONIC?
Old 07-19-2013, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Kain
One more question. We know the 2015 S-Class will come with a new 9G-TRONIC transmission. Does this mean the 2015 AMGs will also get an MCT transmission based on the new 9G-TRONIC or will they continue with the MCT based on the 7G-TRONIC?
I may be wrong, but AMG may take its time adopting the 9-speed into their portfolio, although they have started to "betray" some past practices and trends.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
I never particularly cared for the ABC in my CL600, and I'm not talking about any problems, I never liked the way it "wobbled." I've driven the new SL both with and without, and to my surprise I actually enjoyed the standard suspension much more.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:31 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by pmb600
I never particularly cared for the ABC in my CL600, and I'm not talking about any problems, I never liked the way it "wobbled." I've driven the new SL both with and without, and to my surprise I actually enjoyed the standard suspension much more.
Wobble? I had a CL500 & an SL600 and while both were softer configured than our SL55 (all with ABC), none ever wobbled. Maybe your car had an issue?

In the end, it's all a matter of personal taste, but springs are simply inferior in their capability to an active suspension.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:58 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
To this day, the best suspensions I've ever experienced have been mechanical/passive (and I've had an ABC car as well, which was superb, no doubt about it). The fact that they're inherently simpler and less prone to complex breakages is also a huge bonus.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:53 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by K-A
To this day, the best suspensions I've ever experienced have been mechanical/passive (and I've had an ABC car as well, which was superb, no doubt about it). The fact that they're inherently simpler and less prone to complex breakages is also a huge bonus.
High pressure suspensions like ABC (using 2700psi) are clearly more susceptible to failures and more importantly, expensive to fix; ie. struts at $1500 or a pump at $3500, but they can deliver certain functionality that mechanical springs simply can't deliver.

That may not be as important in a lightweight Porsche , but more so in a 4000-5000lbs sedan. Forget the camera part, but MBC is is good example of ABC's capabilities.

Granted that I haven't owned a car with springs for 12 years, but have driven plenty of E-class and 5 series rentals during our Germany trips. On our 750, the first thing I did was to replace the springs with H&R sport springs, but that car still drives like crap (I am blaming the runs flats though )
Old 11-16-2013, 11:37 PM

2010 S550
I was soooo looking forward to trying out the Magic Body Control with the new S550 4MATIC... only to find out that it's not available on the 4MATIC. Well, that simply crushed my desire towards buying the new S550. I doubt I will want to switch from my current 2010 S550 4MATIC (with every option) to the new S550 because without the MBC it's actually a rougher ride in the new car than my current one. Disappointing, to say the least!
Old 11-17-2013, 10:46 PM

s63
^ not to be offensive but you most likely don't understand the MBC if you consider it to be a make or break selling point. Many people who have driven the cars w/ both have noted minimal differences and that it really is only very effective on speed bumps. It's a good piece of technology but is 1 or 2 generations away from being truly effective. If you feel the new car has reduced ride quality then you are justified but you would be in the minority.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:36 AM

2010 S550
Unhappy

I test-drove the new S550 and I was thinking to myself if there is no significant difference between the S-Class just prior to it (which is my current car), then why would I buy the new one? To be honest, the look of the new one is worse than the last S-Class. Had there been an improvement in the new S-Class that would be truly outstanding, I would see a great reason to buy it, otherwise I find the seat is much firmer, my current car's seat is more comfortable (the new car's seat sides can't be adjusted for example). Power-wise the new S-Class is about the same as my current one. The only new things I have found (so far) are the heated arm rest and door handle, the steering assist (which can be great in rush hours)... and a couple more massage options (that are not a noticeable difference either), but other than that I haven't been shown anything new. In fact, when I sat back in the seat of my current S-Class I actually found it more comfortable and more plush than the new S-Class.
I simply voiced my own opinion about the new S-Class, that's all... and, the fact that so far I haven't found a significant reason to switch.

I was looking forward to a change in the Distronic-Plus feature too: In my S-Class, when it's in Distronic-Plus mode, it speeds up and shows down normally as the vehicle in front of it 'dictates' it, but when it comes to a total stop, it would not go by itself once the car in front of it starts to go, but I always have to pull the cruise-lever toward myself to actuate it again. I was hoping that the new S-Class will have it where the car will start to get moving by itself when the vehicle ahead of it starts to get going... but that didn't change either in the new S-Class.