S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Hyundai Equus STUNT DOUBLE for new S550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E550 4Matic
Funny part about all this is a friend of mine wont stop trying to get me to go test drive one. He insists its a better choice as he will 'impress' people with how much luxury he can get for so much less money, all the while being more subtle. It takes every ounce of strength in me to not laugh in his face.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
I can only say that I was more than impressed with the overall Equus package than I thought possible. It is a fine effort by a fairly young company. That said, I love my S350 Bluetec. It would be hard for me to consider any car without the option for a diesel engine.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by K-A
Sad to say but M-B has been copying lots of Hyundai design traits for a while. It used to be the opposite....

Though the W222 doesn't resemble the Equus much if at all. It's some of the interior bits and formations that do, however. Also, the sheetmetal curvature of M-B's new design language mimics Hyundai's heavily (and yes Hyundai was doing it before M-B, as M-B were doing hard angular cars for a little while when Hyundai developed this theme).

This is without a doubt the most ridiculous thing you've yet posted. You know damn well Hyundai was copying Mercedes way back when everyone was, not the other way around. This is a pure TROLL comment.

M

Last edited by Germancar1; 11-05-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
Originally Posted by ImInPA
I can only say that I was more than impressed with the overall Equus package than I thought possible. It is a fine effort by a fairly young company. That said, I love my S350 Bluetec. It would be hard for me to consider any car without the option for a diesel engine.
No doubt for the price its a bargain. If you are a bargain shopper and want luxury but don't care about anything else then a Equus or VW Phaeton is your car.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:06 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
K-A: They all copy each other. Hyundai/KIA has some top notch German Designers now. I believe KIA has place ex-Audi designer, Peter Schrier in charge of design. I think KIA has established a unique look. I can now see any model of KIA and instantly identify it as a KIA. Some of the Hyundais still look like Fords to me. MB, BMW, Audi, et. al should be looking over their shoulders.
This is of course too. NOBODY copies like the Korean car manufacturers, it was originally Japanese manufacturers who they copied, then they moved on to the Germans (and hired the Germans designers to authenticate it). Hyundai went after Benzes design themes and now Kia are ripping BMW off very closely with their "K9" or whatever the hell they decided to call it. Problem is, nowadays between M-B and Hyundai it has gotten very jumbled. There's no denying that Hyundai originally copied them, but it seems like both are moving in similar directions (clearly one is more premium and the other more budget) while along the way, things M-B are doing appear "Hyundai-ish" rather than the other way around. One example: The W222 seat controls amongst other things seem like things Hyundai would have done during one of their attempts to copy M-B and put their own "spin" on it.

Originally Posted by C280 Sport
Fully loaded they go up to the mid to high $70's... Add everything else(Tax, title, fees) you are pushing right near $80,000....

Cheap materials? Sure was. You just happened to list the only good parts of the car lol.

Buttons, seats, steering wheel, trim pieces, the shifter, the tachometer, plastic seat trim on the side of the seats, the seats themselves are very fake looking. The wood looked similar to the kind used in a C,3 and A4...

Dash looks good and the alcantara headliner are the only parts that do not feel and look cheap.

Again... This car is suppose to "compete" with cars that are $100k... If that is so then they miss the quality and attention to detail and only focus in on value. If you are a value shopper and do not care about anything else then Hyundai and Lexus are the cars for you.
I agree here. The Equus is damn straight ugly to me too.

KA take a look at the W221. It came out years before Hyundai resigned the Equus... The W222 is built on the same chassis as the W221 and shares very very few similarities except for the seat controls. Also look at how the Equus and many other Hyundai's looks very similar to a Buick, Infiniti, Lexus, Maybach, Rolls Royce, Lincoln.

Hyundai is well known for attempting to make a copy of another design or many other designs. In fact most car companies from Asia are well known for doing this.
Definitely agreed and you don't have to tell me about the culture of Asian corporate companies in aesthetically copying U.S or European companies (you see this in the Car and Smartphone/Mobile/Tech business), believe me I know and it always bugs me. Problem is that it seems like at some point they start doing similar things. For example, Hyundai copied Mercedes, but instead of doing M-B's angular theme of the most recent generation (before going quickly back to round/"organic") they did very curvy and "organic", "nature inspired" designs. Then, M-B start doing the same thing AFTER Hyundai, which makes it appear that M-B followed Hyundai's lead, which of course fundamentally doesn't make sense as Hyundai took their ideas from M-B to begin with.

IMO, M-B used to be copied more than anyone, however lately nobody copies them, everybody copied BMW and now are moving to Audi lately, and during this time M-B designs start at least "looking like" they're taking cues from others rather than the other way around.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
No doubt for the price its a bargain. If you are a bargain shopper and want luxury but don't care about anything else then a Equus or VW Phaeton is your car.
The Phaeton had an incredible amount of engineering and brand identity. It failed because VW decided to make it look like a giant Passat. It was just not very exciting in any way. The hinges to the trunk were a whole different story. Seriously sexy stuff!

The Equus is part of a lineup where every car looks like it is a copy of some german brand. The interior looks like a hodgepodge of a bunch of other cars that make up the segment. Hyundai has come a long way. Their cars are significantly more attractive now and it has forced some of the Japanese brands to do better.

I for one would take a well equipper E,5,A6,Passat over a Equss. Just like I would lower my budget before digging through the racks at the Neiman Marcus outlet.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
It failed because it was a 60-90K VW. The VW dealer network has no clue how to sell or service such a car. The look of the car probably didn't help, but that wasn't the main reason. People were stunned to see a 60K pricetag on a VW, when in a lot of cases an Audi is across the hall or down the street.

M
Old 11-06-2013, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
+1 It will be interesting to see how Hyundai and KIA navigate these same waters, especially in the US. It is hard to imagine such high stickers on Hyundai, KIA, and VW. But, we live in a day and age of Honda products hitting the 50K range. Who'd-a-thunk-it?
Old 11-06-2013, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
+1 It will be interesting to see how Hyundai and KIA navigate these same waters, especially in the US. It is hard to imagine such high stickers on Hyundai, KIA, and VW. But, we live in a day and age of Honda products hitting the 50K range. Who'd-a-thunk-it?

Toyota too! Look at the Avalon fully loaded close to like $50,000
Old 11-06-2013, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
Originally Posted by Germancar1
It failed because it was a 60-90K VW. The VW dealer network has no clue how to sell or service such a car. The look of the car probably didn't help, but that wasn't the main reason. People were stunned to see a 60K pricetag on a VW, when in a lot of cases an Audi is across the hall or down the street.

M

Local VW dealer in Albany refused to work on them. Most of the time my local Indi shop would take them in and have them in the bays for days! Very complex for a VW my mechanics say.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Germancar1

M
Exactly. More importantly, US pricing for the Phaeton was already heavily discounted compared to Europe. I remember the W12 started at over 100k Euro in 2003.

Btw. the are still building the Phaeton today. Identical to the 2003, just with DLRL's...
Old 11-06-2013, 10:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 Audi A8L 4.0t, 2012 GL450
Fully loaded they go up to the mid to high $70's... Add everything else(Tax, title, fees) you are pushing right near $80,000...
I don't think that's true. If you build an Equus on the Hyundai website, there are no options to be added on the "ultimate" model which is priced at ~$69K. The highest price you can configure is $68,920. The USAA price for a 2014 Equus ultimate through their car buying service is $64,610. A 2013 is $59,470. You would still have to add tax, title and fees, but you wouldn't get anywhere close to $80K
Old 11-07-2013, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
Originally Posted by Bocahoo
I don't think that's true. If you build an Equus on the Hyundai website, there are no options to be added on the "ultimate" model which is priced at ~$69K. The highest price you can configure is $68,920. The USAA price for a 2014 Equus ultimate through their car buying service is $64,610. A 2013 is $59,470. You would still have to add tax, title and fees, but you wouldn't get anywhere close to $80K

Cars.com under the new car section had a couple of them in the mid $70's.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 Audi A8L 4.0t, 2012 GL450
Cars.com under the new car section had a couple of them in the mid $70's.
Interesting. Must be one of these...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FoXyvaPSnV...es+Equus+2.JPG
Old 11-10-2013, 08:30 AM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
2011 GL 550, 2010 MB S550, 2004 BMW 645Cic 1988 Corvette
I have driven an EQUUS. It is a very impressive vehicle. The air suspension on the EQUUS is every bit as good as my S-Class Airmatic. There are some noticeable "cheap" parts on the interior, and there is no AWD option on the EQUUS. The one I drove had the Executive rear seat package and listed for $68K, at least $50K less than a comparably equipped S-Class. Nice job Hyundai!!! Is the the S-Class a better vehicle? YES. Is is $50K better? Hmmmmm...gets foggy there.
My boy has the EQUUS it's a nice car & get some looks on it's own, but pull up to some where at the same time as an S class, E class or BMW 7 series & he EQUUS is just another wanna be pretender.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
Originally Posted by Bocahoo
Interesting. Must be one of these...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FoXyvaPSnV...es+Equus+2.JPG
No they were not modified in anyway other then what was ordered on them from the factory.