S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Smaller trunk and run-flats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 GLE 63S
Smaller trunk and run-flats

Thought the new S-class was stunning until I got to the trunk. Looks quite a bit smaller than the old one, and there is a big storage bin under the trunk floor where the spare tire would go. Salesman confirms the car has run-flats (yuck).

I notice that the trunk size is listed on the MBUSA web site as "TBD". I wonder if the plan to include this under floor storage bin in the "trunk capacity" to hide the loss of trunk space?
Old 11-11-2013, 06:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
N/A
Originally Posted by svendsenjoel
Thought the new S-class was stunning until I got to the trunk. Looks quite a bit smaller than the old one, and there is a big storage bin under the trunk floor where the spare tire would go. Salesman confirms the car has run-flats (yuck).

I notice that the trunk size is listed on the MBUSA web site as "TBD". I wonder if the plan to include this under floor storage bin in the "trunk capacity" to hide the loss of trunk space?
I notice that the trunk size is listed on the MBUSA web site as "TBD". I wonder if the plan to include this under floor storage bin in the "trunk capacity" to hide the loss of trunk space?[/QUOTE]

Actually, there are several options that determine the trunk capacity. If you add the Burmester 3D option, the Warmth & Comfort package, and the Refrigerator, all those options will adversely affect trunk space. So depending on what combo you go with, the amount of space lost differs. As you can see, it's a lot more than just the floor storage bin that's at play here.

I'm guessing they are trying to figure out how the various combinations impact trunk space. They should put a range (510 liters to X) depending on the combination.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:50 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by svendsenjoel

Shocked me as well. The trunk on the W222 is tiny relative to the mass of the car. My W212's trunks seemed larger.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:31 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
04 Lexus LS430
it says 16.3 cu ft on the brochure. It's not that small.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:34 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by aypues
it says 16.3 cu ft on the brochure. It's not that small.
It's very narrow and looks like you can't even fit some regular sized luggage in it. At least the one I saw (not sure what it had on it that could "shrink" trunk size). Just not very functional if you're going on a trip with enough people who can comfortably fit in a car of this size.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lexus
LOL
I guess if thats the best thing you can come up with to be wrong with the car, its a good sign.
Coming from a 10 s550 to this car I noticed zero difference in trunk space after 2 or 3 costco trips. Trunk capacity is fine. What do you haul? lol
We have 3 kids so the rear seat is full with child seats etc and buy lots of stuff.
Still have room.
Runflats are what everyone is going to. Most cars that are high end dont have spares anymore in case you haven't noticed. The demographic usually doesnt want to change tires on the side of the road. Spare tire is an option on the new range rovers also. The ride quality for runflats does not suffer as much as it previously did.
Only thing that bothers me about the car is the over-complication of the electronics. I'm sure I will get used to it after a while but I'm sure the 60+ year old drivers hate it.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Mercedes S550
Originally Posted by ScottCLS55
The ride quality for runflats does not suffer as much as it previously did.

That's good to know.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
The trunk does look smaller in person, but, it may just be a trick of the eye. It seems larger than the Audi A8 trunk, which I believe is truly the weak link in the Audi too. The new S is very nice in person. When I have some time, I will definitely take one for a spin. Having a 1.5 year old S350 Bluetec as my daily driver, it is hard to believe there is much room for improvement in the ride of the new one Vs. my W221. I love my W221. I would not be in the market for a W222 until the diesel is released, and, only if it is a V6 diesel.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Can you buy a temporary spare that fits in the trunk? Forget those runflats - they are fine for simple flats (nails, screws), but any kind of serious pothole impact that blows out the sidewall - no spare means you can't get home without a tow truck. No thanks.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
EQS Sedan, W222, W221, W220
Here's my approximate measurement of the usable "square" space - e.g. not counting pockets that you can't put big luggage in:

W221: 39" deep, 37-38" wide (gets narrower towards the back), and 18" high
W222: 41" deep, 36" wide, 19" tall.

Not having the two side-by-side, but my recollection of the W222 is that it doesn't have as much side pockets in the rear end like the W221 does. So it may not be much different for big luggage, although I always stash stuff in those sides for my trips.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:26 PM
prg

08 C63
Coming from a 2012 s550 4matic to our new W222, I was expecting a significant improvement in ride quality with the 2wd "Magic Ride Control". I really am unimpressed by this aspect of the car. The car transmits more sharp road imperfection impact harshness than my 2012 did. The current generation of run flats may well be much better than previous run flats (I have no experience with previous run flats), but I am very unimpressed by their ride quality.

I keep a plug kit and a 12v compressor in the trunk. When these run flats are worn, they'll be replaced by conventional tires.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:18 PM

2014 Mercedes S550
Originally Posted by prg
Coming from a 2012 s550 4matic to our new W222, I was expecting a significant improvement in ride quality with the 2wd "Magic Ride Control". I really am unimpressed by this aspect of the car. The car transmits more sharp road imperfection impact harshness than my 2012 did. The current generation of run flats may well be much better than previous run flats (I have no experience with previous run flats), but I am very unimpressed by their ride quality.

I keep a plug kit and a 12v compressor in the trunk. When these run flats are worn, they'll be replaced by conventional tires.

So maybe conventional tires will make the ride quality up to what you're used to?
Old 11-26-2013, 04:25 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by prg

I find M-B's to get harsher by each generation (lately), to the point where the current E Class is literally jarring over rough roads (yet floaty/boaty through turns still) and in recent tests shows that it doesn't score lower sound decibels than even a CTS. I'd hate to think that the new S follows suit in that regard, however most reviews have claimed that the W222 at the very least follows suit of the comfort-oriented ride of the W221 (from what I understand supposedly improves it). I wonder if your situation is due to certain different specs your car has from your old one, like rim size or tires, etc.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:54 PM
prg

08 C63
Both cars run on 19" AMG package factory wheels. The runflats are 275/40 19 Continentals. The 2012 runs 245/40 19 non-runflat Continentals. I'll let the forum know how it goes when they are replaced
Old 11-29-2013, 06:58 PM

2014 Mercedes S550
^^^Please do.