S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

My European Delivery Experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 E63S AMG
Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
For those of us that hate drill holes in the front bumper, is there any way to stop the factory/Euro delivery people from installing the plate on the front of the car? (I know you're required to run a front plate in Europe, but I was thinking a more primitive zip tie method is sufficient enough to appease everyone)

My plate was fitted in to the Holes already on the US Plate mount, which was already installed on the car from factory,

No excess drilling was done, the holes were drilled on the Plate itself to fit the US fitting,

And on the back, the holes on the cars are euro spec, when it hits the us they put a plate frame to match up correctly.
Attached Thumbnails My European Delivery Experience-img_7314.jpg  
Old 04-08-2014, 12:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E550 Coupe
Interesting, I picked my car up at the delivery center on 3/31 and they gave me the original COO. They told me to treat it like it was gold. My car is financed. When i dropped off the car at the shipped in Zurich, they made a copy of it and gave me the original back.
Originally Posted by TomS
I just got back yesterday from my trip. The Brenner pass route was quite nice from Austria to Italy if you go that way. You need you 10 day Austrian tax sticker (8.50&euro but no longer need the tax sticker in Italy.

Stelvio pass might be open but that might be a challenge with three young ones in the back seat. Others might know a better route if you go to Milan.

One point that might be of be of use to anyone that has financed their car. Mercedes at the delivery center is supposed to keep the certificate of origin as it goes back to Herbert. They lady at the delivery center was not aware of this and had to call someone in Stuttgart to learn the procedure. Also, the drop off place wanted to COE too. He had to call his office in Paris to learn it was ok not to have that. I guess people that EDP must just buy it in cash normally (or that's what I get for following what I am told and pressing the point that u was not to leave with the COE). My only issue with that is the MB delivery office staff should be trained better so the customer doesn't need to explain their procedures. I will alert Herbert and MBUSA to that small hiccup.

Tom
Old 04-08-2014, 12:12 PM

2014 E550 Coupe
the story I got was the plates were to stay on the car until they got to the dealership and if I wanted them, I needed to let them know ahead of time.

Originally Posted by MTrauman
The way it was explained to me is that the plates must stay on the car when you drop it off. They do warn you that sometimes they are not on the vehicle when it arrives (people must steal these plates somewhere in the shipping process). My car arrived at the dealership with both the front and rear plate still on the car as I witnessed my car being unloaded from the truck behind the dealership since I happened to drive by the dealership the moment my car arrived (weird luck but my office is within 1/4 mile of the dealership and I was coming back to my office from a client engagement).
Old 04-08-2014, 01:03 PM

s430
Car Wash before leaving car at the drop off center?

I saw something about needing to do a car wash before leaving the car at the drop off center due to some custom requirements? Is that true?
Old 04-08-2014, 01:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 S550, 2011 E350 Cabriolet, Asgard Mothership
Originally Posted by Kirkster
Interesting, I picked my car up at the delivery center on 3/31 and they gave me the original COO. They told me to treat it like it was gold. My car is financed. When i dropped off the car at the shipped in Zurich, they made a copy of it and gave me the original back.
I confirmed with MBUSA that the delivery center is not following their own procedure. As Herbert explained it to me, the COO goes to their dealership so they can endorse the lien info, them he sends it to me so I can bring it to the DMV. If you have a local dealer, when you bring in the Manufacturers certificate, I suspect they file your registration for you so it's moot.

With the out of state dealer, I get to pay my sales tax when I register it. One last memory I'm sure this will be the only time I ever pay $6700 to register a vehicle.

In closing, if I did leave with the COO I would have just fedex'ed to Herbert anyway. No harm but I expect Germans to follow their own procedures.

Tom
Old 04-08-2014, 03:24 PM

2014 E550 Coupe
The shipper I used in Zurich sent me instructions telling me to wash the car before I dropped it off. If I didn't they would and charge a premium to do so.
Originally Posted by darwinl
I saw something about needing to do a car wash before leaving the car at the drop off center due to some custom requirements? Is that true?
Old 04-08-2014, 06:23 PM

The Zurich shipper must have seen an upsell opportunity. My car was dirty from the road and rain but the Nice shipping company (TT) did not try to charge me for cleaning. They did say they needed to clean it somewhere along the way and it could delay it a day though.

They say if you see a Swiss banker jump out a window to follow him as there must be money to be made
Old 04-08-2014, 11:26 PM

Received 66 Likes on 22 Posts
W223 S580, Range Rover Supercharged LWB, Audi A8L, BMW 750i, Porsche 911 Carrera S (997)
Angry

Originally Posted by TomS
With the out of state dealer, I get to pay my sales tax when I register it. One last memory I'm sure this will be the only time I ever pay $6700 to register a vehicle.

Tom

Try $9,968.00
Old 04-09-2014, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Skerdian
Try $9,968.00
mercifully, our sales tax is just 6% but the schools suck so you know, we got that going for us.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:41 AM

2013 458 Italia, 2014 X5
Originally Posted by Kirkster
The shipper I used in Zurich sent me instructions telling me to wash the car before I dropped it off. If I didn't they would and charge a premium to do so.
My M3 was so dirty, I felt sorry when I dropped it off in Frankfurt. No one made any issue about it though so clean car thing must be Swiss thing.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:25 PM

2014 E550 Coupe
Got word today that my carr arrived in Baltimore early this moring and has already cleared customs (paperless). I had been told by the freight forwarder that my car was considered privately owned and would have to go through the regular customs process which would take a week to 10 days. When i found to it's already cleared, I was happy. The car got back here pretty quick. i dropped it off in Zurich on 4/3 (which is supposed to add three weeks to the travel time). The car left Bremerhaven on 4/24. Hopefully it gets through the VPC quick.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:16 PM

2015 S600
Originally Posted by cookstar
bottom line is they lose a massive amount of profit.
No, they loose nothing. I just negotiated for a Euro Delivery of an S550. After researching I learned the dealer looses NOTHING by selling a car for Euro Delivery. The factory increases it's normal profit even after giving us 7%, free shipping, a night in a hotel and taxi vouchers! How?

The Euro Zone VAT tax is over 16% to the factory for new cars shipped. However, after driving the car in Europe, you are essentially shipping a "used" car and the VAT tax does not apply. The factory is sharing this savings with the buyer. The dealer makes his entire 7% profit. The car is not counted against his allocation, but does count towards his annual quota goal for money from the

Knowing this I negotiated a discount from my dealer aside from the factory discount of 7%. All parties are happy. I do not understand why some dealers would not like offering Euro Delivery except that they may be lower volume dealers needing to unload their annual allotments, they are lazy or unknowlegable, etc.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:12 AM

Received 66 Likes on 22 Posts
W223 S580, Range Rover Supercharged LWB, Audi A8L, BMW 750i, Porsche 911 Carrera S (997)
Originally Posted by emnic1
No, they loose nothing. I just negotiated for a Euro Delivery of an S550. After researching I learned the dealer looses NOTHING by selling a car for Euro Delivery. The factory increases it's normal profit even after giving us 7%, free shipping, a night in a hotel and taxi vouchers! How?

The Euro Zone VAT tax is over 16% to the factory for new cars shipped. However, after driving the car in Europe, you are essentially shipping a "used" car and the VAT tax does not apply. The factory is sharing this savings with the buyer. The dealer makes his entire 7% profit. The car is not counted against his allocation, but does count towards his annual quota goal for money from the

Knowing this I negotiated a discount from my dealer aside from the factory discount of 7%. All parties are happy. I do not understand why some dealers would not like offering Euro Delivery except that they may be lower volume dealers needing to unload their annual allotments, they are lazy or unknowlegable, etc.
This is my understanding as well. At S-class prices, great deals can be found. I saved $11k if I recall correctly.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by emnic1

Actually profit margin is 10% but I believe the holdback is slightly less.

Most of what you said is true for most MBs. However, MB that are available for European Delivery that do not have a fixed discount (CLS AMG, SL AMG, S Coupe, S Sedan AMG and V12s) are still taken out of the normal dealer's allocation and they do not get the restructured discounts etc.