S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Sports Package Plus 1 Tire Bubble Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
I agree as well about the ride and comfort characteristics of RunFlats, however, they do have an inherently stronger construction especially in the sidewall. Personally, I can't stand them, although the Bridgestones that came on my E class Bluetec had a surprisingly good ride. Keep in mind that an S-Class weighs about the same as a Ford F-150. That is a lot of weight.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by ImInPA
I agree as well about the ride and comfort characteristics of RunFlats, however, they do have an inherently stronger construction especially in the sidewall. Personally, I can't stand them, although the Bridgestones that came on my E class Bluetec had a surprisingly good ride. Keep in mind that an S-Class weighs about the same as a Ford F-150. That is a lot of weight.
Whichever car forum one visits, the discussion of factory installed run flats is controversial. I wish that car companies would give customers their choice. I am sure the results would surprise them.

Run flats were the talk of the town 10-15 years ago and it was assumed by some that by now all cars use run flats. I think it's still less than 10% and for good reasons. Poor ride quality is experienced every day versus the remote risk of being stranded without a place to change a spare. Our BMW has a rougher ride on run flats than our MB on Snows...

Sorry for the rant
Old 01-28-2014, 09:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Mercedes S550
I'm guessing within 2 years time (the amount of time it will take me to need new tires because I only drive my S classes 3000 miles a year), we'll have plenty of options for me to get out of these run flats. So I'll just take the rougher ride until then...
Old 02-10-2014, 10:49 PM

2014 Mercedes S550
Question.....I bought the tire warranty, but I've been thinking.....how long/how many miles before a dealer says they're not honoring the warranty. In other words, they could say.... well these tires have a lot of miles on them and that's the reason they're sidewalls are getting bubbles or giving out. And also how damaged does the wheel have to be before it can be replaced?.....a bend, a chip, scruffed up a little or lot, etc.....What's the minimum qualification?
Old 02-10-2014, 11:31 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Originally Posted by Kratos-TM
Question.....I bought the tire warranty, but I've been thinking.....how long/how many miles before a dealer says they're not honoring the warranty. In other words, they could say.... well these tires have a lot of miles on them and that's the reason they're sidewalls are getting bubbles or giving out. And also how damaged does the wheel have to be before it can be replaced?.....a bend, a chip, scruffed up a little or lot, etc.....What's the minimum qualification?

I asked my Sales guy that very same question. He told me if it is purchased through a factory dealership (MB OF ____________________) they are not allowed to throw out your warranty and refund your money. They must honor the claims. It should be unlimited amont and applies to wheel and tire. You could have 10,000 miles on it - get a bubble, and it will be replaced for free (or with a small deductible).

Chips and scuffs are not replaceable but cracks and bends are. (I asked because I could swear I bent it on the first go around).

When you get into minimum qualifications, it would be case by case - and I'm sure you could ask to see the wheel in person with the tech if you dispute their finding.

What I don't understand is how they sell the insurance at the price they have it for. Mine was $2500 and in my first MONTH - i used $1750 of it. So what, 3 more tires, or ONE rim, and I am now a net positive on the cost.

HOw do they handle losing all that money? Even if they are getting the tires wholesale....I could see how one could easily run through 8 tires per year if the roads are not repaired.

You absolutely did the right thing by getting the insurance. It is peace of mind EVERYTIME you shout out those very common words... "OH F**** THIS FUC***N ROAD!!"
Old 02-10-2014, 11:33 PM
Banned

2014 S550
From Mercedes Benz

Drive with peace of mind.

You likely have a lot invested in what connects you to the road. And, that’s
all the more reason to give your investment some added protection against
the unexpected hazards the road might throw your way. Mercedes-Benz
Financial’s First Class Wheel and Tire Protection will pay to replace your
tires and wheels if they are damaged by a road hazard — such as a pothole,
nail, tree limb or other debris. You may not be able to avoid every hazard
you encounter on the road, but you can avoid the resulting expense.
Unmatched coverage that won’t leave you flat.

Your driving experience should be nothing less than
first class. Whether you’re paying cash, financing, or
leasing a new or pre-owned Mercedes-Benz vehicle,
our First Class Wheel and Tire Protection will ensure
a smooth ride. This plan includes:
• All costs related to the replacement of
wheels/tires (including labor, mounting,
balancing, valve stems, taxes)
• Coverage for the usable tread life of the tire
• Coverage for each automobile wheel, and the
tire that is mounted on it, for damage due to a
covered road hazard*
• Replacement of a wheel rim damaged due to the
failure of a tire covered under your plan, if the
tire fails to seal
• No limit to the number of occurrences that can
be claimed

With so many benefits, our Wheel and Tire Protection
plan makes your driving experience worry-free. Ask your
Mercedes-Benz dealer about our First Class Wheel and
Tire Protection today.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:57 AM

2014 Mercedes S550
Thanks for the awesome feedback Chucky. We have good roads here and I don't drive the car until the weekends, so apart of me thinks I wasted 2 grand. But all it takes is 1 pothole and I guess that will make it worth it. It's also good to know that the amount of miles doesn't altar the coverage.

Only 1 small problem I see in all of this though.......it sounds like MB of Houston would have to honor the claim.....so how do I get a damaged tire/wheel car to a dealership 2 states away.....?
Old 02-11-2014, 10:16 AM
Banned

2014 S550
Thanks for the awesome feedback Chucky. We have good roads here and I don't drive the car until the weekends, so apart of me thinks I wasted 2 grand. But all it takes is 1 pothole and I guess that will make it worth it. It's also good to know that the amount of miles doesn't altar the coverage.

Only 1 small problem I see in all of this though.......it sounds like MB of Houston would have to honor the claim.....so how do I get a damaged tire/wheel car to a dealership 2 states away.....?
Well, from my understanding of how it works, I bought the car from MB Manhattan, and purchased the warranty through them at the time of delivery. If I were to be in Dallas with the car, hit a pothole and cracked the rim, I could get MB of Dallas to replace it under this warranty since it is a factory sold warranty product.

Is there a MB of _____________ near you? Even if you did not buy the car?
Old 02-11-2014, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 S550 4Matic, 2016 GLC300 4Matic , 2018 Porsche Panamera 4 E-Hybrid
I spoke with both my dealer and MBUSA directly about the tire & wheel warranty and was told that a bent rim is not replaceable unless it is bent to the point of the tire not holding air.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:11 PM

2014 Mercedes S550
Originally Posted by Chucky300
Well, from my understanding of how it works, I bought the car from MB Manhattan, and purchased the warranty through them at the time of delivery. If I were to be in Dallas with the car, hit a pothole and cracked the rim, I could get MB of Dallas to replace it under this warranty since it is a factory sold warranty product.

Is there a MB of _____________ near you? Even if you did not buy the car?
MB of Jackson is near me. If they could honor the warranty, that would be great.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:18 PM
Banned

2014 S550
MB of Jackson is near me. If they could honor the warranty, that would be great.
They must honor it if you bought it from a factory dealer. Give em a call just to confirm.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:19 PM
Banned

2014 S550
Originally Posted by AJMB1
I spoke with both my dealer and MBUSA directly about the tire & wheel warranty and was told that a bent rim is not replaceable unless it is bent to the point of the tire not holding air.
Manhattan told me if the rim is bent or cracked, they will replace.

I guess theres a fine print somewhere.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:31 PM

That's good to know that your dealer will take care of you in case you need it. With some of the pictures you've posted you just might.

I live in WNY which is why I opted for the 4matic and standard 18" wheels. Don't like the look as well but ride comfort, safety, and wheel damage were concerns over here. Although it hasn't been above freezing too much so the thraw/freeze cycle hasn't been that bad yet.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:14 PM
Banned

2014 S550
That's good to know that your dealer will take care of you in case you need it. With some of the pictures you've posted you just might.

I live in WNY which is why I opted for the 4matic and standard 18" wheels. Don't like the look as well but ride comfort, safety, and wheel damage were concerns over here. Although it hasn't been above freezing too much so the thraw/freeze cycle hasn't been that bad yet.
With 18" Wheels and Tires - this car must glide like its on a cloud.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:50 PM

So far I've only test driven the 18's with 4matic and the 20's with MBC. It was about a 3 hour test drive though and I came away very impressed with both versions. Would love for them to be able to incorporate the 4matic and MBC in the future.

My car is slated to start production tomorrow, so looking to take delivery sometime in mid March. It's been a long 6 months.

As an interesting side note, I see on MY15 you get conventional tires if you opt for 20" wheels on the S600.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:55 PM

2014 Mercedes S550
So far I've only test driven the 18's with 4matic and the 20's with MBC. It was about a 3 hour test drive though and I came away very impressed with both versions. Would love for them to be able to incorporate the 4matic and MBC in the future.

My car is slated to start production tomorrow, so looking to take delivery sometime in mid March. It's been a long 6 months.

As an interesting side note, I see on MY15 you get conventional tires if you opt for 20" wheels on the S600.
So how much "rougher" was the 20's compared to the 18's in your opinion? Although the MBC might have made the 20's ride a little better.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:22 PM

I think you've kind of hit on it Kratos. It's not an apples to apples comparison. I loved the way MBC handled the off ramps with virtually no body lean, and it did a fine job of soaking up thruway bumps, much better than my current car with run flats. But I did feel that the 18"s had a little smoother ride. As I said before, very impressed with both rides, but the laws of physics still apply even to an S-Class.

I know when your paying this much for a car you want it to be without compromise. My guess is that within a month of driving this car you'll come to appreciate its ride quality more each time you get in it. Can't wait to be joining you guys in that experience.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:50 PM
Banned

2014 S550
It is a real shame they can't put 4matic and ABC/MBC on the same vehicle.

It would only be beneficial to them.

4matic option is around $3000 or so
Sports Package is around $6000
MBC is about $5000

Most people would get all three if made available on the same vehicle.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:06 PM

2014 Mercedes S550
Chucky do you have MBC?
Old 02-11-2014, 04:41 PM
Banned

2014 S550
Chucky do you have MBC?
Yes. Its great but with the 20" tires, you have more ride harshness than with standard 18s.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:45 PM

2014 Mercedes S550
Yes. Its great but with the 20" tires, you have more ride harshness than with standard 18s.
I'm hoping non run-flats will give us a ride comparable to the 18's.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:52 PM
Banned

2014 S550
I'm hoping non run-flats will give us a ride comparable to the 18's.
Agree with you and I am going to switch over when they become available.

Two things though...

a) Will these tires be covered under warranty that covered the OEM tires? If not - forget it. I would never switch.

b) Where do you put the spare? They don't leave a space for one in the trunk....
Old 02-11-2014, 05:11 PM

2014 Mercedes S550

Two things though...

a) Will these tires be covered under warranty that covered the OEM tires? If not - forget it. I would never switch.

b) Where do you put the spare? They don't leave a space for one in the trunk....
Yeah, both a and b suck. Lol
Old 02-11-2014, 05:21 PM

Two things though...

Since the coverage states the following I would assume it's not but check with your guy.

"• Coverage for the usable tread life of the tire"

You could always get the new tire road hazard warranty from whomever you purchase it through.

As far as the spare, you'd be in the same position that you're now if you had a blowout you couldn't drive on, calling roadside.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:34 PM

2014 Mercedes S550
Since the coverage states the following I would assume it's not but check with your guy.

"• Coverage for the usable tread life of the tire"

You could always get the new tire road hazard warranty from whomever you purchase it through.

As far as the spare, you'd be in the same position that you're now if you had a blowout you couldn't drive on, calling roadside.
Yeah, this brings me to that thought.....a run flat is not a 100%-non-stuck-on-the-side-of-the-road type of tire right? From my 1990's knowledge, it just can get you back home if you pick up some nails......Help me out with this.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sports Package Plus 1 Tire Bubble Problem