Thread for proud S Class Owners to Post pictures from time to time

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 06:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Mercedes S550
Originally Posted by Chucky300
That's how I feel too.

I feel every single road imperfection. When theres a pot hole or a speed bump - even with Magic Body Control switched on (by leaving it in comfort mode) - the entire car is just like a roller coaster on a wooden track.
Wow, didn't know you had MBC. I was thinking that if I had MBC, it wouldn't do that. Interesting to see I was wrong! Well now I'm don't regret not dropping that 5 grand as much.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:52 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Originally Posted by Kratos-TM
Wow, didn't know you had MBC. I was thinking that if I had MBC, it wouldn't do that. Interesting to see I was wrong! Well now I'm don't regret not dropping that 5 grand as much.
But imagine how good Magic Body Control would be with 18 or 19 Wheels and Tires?

Truth be told - these wheels we have now are stunning, and the best looking on the lineup.

Just sucks that are only way to have them is to SERIOUSLY sacrifice ride comfort.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
I personally wouldn't change the dimension of tires to fit a brand.

Michelin Super Sports are great tires, but they are performance tires. They need warm weather. Due to the rubber formulation, they are virtually useless (no traction) and VERY bumpy (aka run flats) at 40 degrees or below...

I would go with the Conti Extreme DWS. 50k mile warranty and great all seasons.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:37 PM

2014 Mercedes S550
Originally Posted by Wolfman
I personally wouldn't change the dimension of tires to fit a brand.

Michelin Super Sports are great tires, but they are performance tires. They need warm weather. Due to the rubber formulation, they are virtually useless (no traction) and VERY bumpy (aka run flats) at 40 degrees or below...

I would go with the Conti Extreme DWS. 50k mile warranty and great all seasons.
These Conti's are best for comfort?
Old 03-02-2014, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
These Conti's are best for comfort?
They rank very highly on the comfort scale. It's the de facto non-RFT replacement on BMW 7 series owners. Reviews are good as well (check on tire rack) and it's a good all around tire. Not a road carving tire but neither is the S550.

Doesn't hurt to be cheap and long lasting as well
Old 03-02-2014, 09:30 PM

2014 Mercedes S550
Originally Posted by Wolfman
They rank very highly on the comfort scale. It's the de facto non-RFT replacement on BMW 7 series owners. Reviews are good as well (check on tire rack) and it's a good all around tire. Not a road carving tire but neither is the S550.

Doesn't hurt to be cheap and long lasting as well
Ok, I'll look them up. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:49 AM
Banned

2014 S550
Attention

Louis De Marco (MY SA)

Gary Mann (MY SALESPERSON)

Hi Lou and Gary,

Hope you had a great weekend!

I wanted to ask you about something that I have been thinking on for a couple of months. I've been driving an S Class since 1999. This is my 4th. The last two came with sports package, and 19" Rims. I put Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires on both of those and enjoyed a very comfortable ride with the occasional flat tire that always comes with these "low profile" style tires. However, performance, road noise, and most important of all ride comfort, were really exemplary.

Since I picked up the new S Class, I have always noticed there was a level of ride comfort just not there. I blamed it at first on my decision to have 20" Rims on the car and left it at that. As you recall, all 4 tires developed bubbles and were replaced under warranty. Currently I have two tires with bubbles but have refrained from making my appointment to come in because the car is still drivable and I don't want to make the appointment until it is absolutely necessary.

However, more important to me than the bubble is the loss of what I consider "The S Class Drive". I feel absolutely EVERY road imperfection, bump, twig, leaf, everything. With the car always in "Comfort" mode, it is no better. In "Sport Suspension" mode, I need a trip to the doctor. The Magic Body Control does its best to scan ahead and compensate but these tires just seem to have no ability to absorb the imperfection and instead translate it to the passenger seats directly.

I went on the Mercedes forums which contains a barrel of knowledge and learned that there were many others who were in the same boat as me. They had selected the sports package plus 1 and were now suffering from the most uncomfortable ride. Included in this are some BMW 7 Series drivers who chimed in on how they suffered as well until they made a tire switch to conventional tires and all the ride comfort has returned and they couldn't be happier.

My conclusion is a request of MB Manhattan / MBUSA to consider switching my tires from these dreadful runflats to conventional Michelin Pilot Super Sports. They are available at substantially less than what the runflats cost, and would insure that this S Class would drive and feel exactly as the factory wanted it to in the first place. I would also ask that my warranty be extended towards these new tires. At the end of the day - it would be less of a financial burden on the dealership and more of a comfortable ride for me. A win - win situation in my book.

If I need to direct this to MBUSA - would you let me know who should this should be addressed to?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

I will CC this message onto the forum so that there is a sense of team work going on, rather than disappointed customers feeling like there are no alternatives.

Sincerely,
Bradley
Old 03-03-2014, 10:23 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Yikes, sad to see the harsh suspension issue M-B has been dealing with for years now plagues the S? I still don't think M-B know how to truly engineer a smooth ride with larger wheels (20's aren't THAT big these days, you get them on many many smaller cars), at least on their Sedans. I credit it to them always designing ultra cushy rides, then in modern times trying to pander to "sportiness" crowds, you get an awkward fumble in terms of now doing neither right. My E Class with just 18's was one of the roughest and most jarring rides I've ever experienced, and the threads I made on the topic on the E Class boards got more hits and agreements than about any other threads on that board.

I'm genuinely curious as to whether this is an RFT problem or just flawed chassis/suspension geometry, especially with even remotely "larger" wheel sizes, as it is with the E Class (who's on just little 18's and not even on RFT's and suffered the same problems).

The CLA and likened (chassis sharing) models a have also been reported to be excessively harsh, even compared to other cars in similar segments.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:30 AM
Banned

2014 S550
Originally Posted by K-A
Yikes, sad to see the harsh suspension issue M-B has been dealing with for years now plagues the S? I still don't think M-B know how to truly engineer a smooth ride with larger wheels (20's aren't THAT big these days, you get them on many many smaller cars), at least on their Sedans. I credit it to them always designing ultra cushy rides, then in modern times trying to pander to "sportiness" crowds, you get an awkward fumble in terms of now doing neither right. My E Class with just 18's was one of the roughest and most jarring rides I've ever experienced, and the threads I made on the topic on the E Class boards got more hits and agreements than about any other threads on that board.

I'm genuinely curious as to whether this is an RFT problem or just flawed chassis/suspension geometry, especially with even remotely "larger" wheel sizes, as it is with the E Class (who's on just little 18's and not even on RFT's and suffered the same problems).

The CLA and likened (chassis sharing) models a have also been reported to be excessively harsh, even compared to other cars in similar segments.

K-A, again - you fail to read properly. I have not said anything about a suspension issue. No one has. No one has a problem with their struts, springs, airmatic, ABC, or MBC. It is not a suspension issue. It is a tire issue. I drove a friends 550 with regular tires and wheels and the thing is on a cloud. I didn't even feel a speed bump.

Would you please do me a favor and don't waste anyone's time in this thread? I appreciate it. Nothing personal. I don't want this informative thread to be reduced to a "S H I T Show". Thank you for respecting this.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:35 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

K-A, again - you fail to read properly. I have not said anything about a suspension issue. No one has. No one has a problem with their struts, springs, airmatic, ABC, or MBC. It is not a suspension issue. It is a tire issue. I drove a friends 550 with regular tires and wheels and the thing is on a cloud. I didn't even feel a speed bump.

Would you please do me a favor and don't waste anyone's time in this thread? I appreciate it. Nothing personal. I don't want this informative thread to be reduced to a "S H I T Show". Thank you for respecting this.
If you read my post, I said that due to my experiences with the E Classes, who IS hurt by a fundamentally flawed geometry as with small 18" wheels and no RFT's it rides worse than many cars with larger wheels and RFT's, I was genuinely curious about whether or not the issue is related to only tires or if the suspension and chassis geometry play a role in it (again, 20's and RFT's have attained smooth rides before).

If you've experienced a cloud-like ride with smaller wheels then that answers my question, and that's all I was looking for, so I'll respect what you ask and go on my merry way.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:46 AM

2014 Mercedes S550
Attention

Louis De Marco (MY SA)

Gary Mann (MY SALESPERSON)

Hi Lou and Gary,

Hope you had a great weekend!

I wanted to ask you about something that I have been thinking on for a couple of months. I've been driving an S Class since 1999. This is my 4th. The last two came with sports package, and 19" Rims. I put Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires on both of those and enjoyed a very comfortable ride with the occasional flat tire that always comes with these "low profile" style tires. However, performance, road noise, and most important of all ride comfort, were really exemplary.

Since I picked up the new S Class, I have always noticed there was a level of ride comfort just not there. I blamed it at first on my decision to have 20" Rims on the car and left it at that. As you recall, all 4 tires developed bubbles and were replaced under warranty. Currently I have two tires with bubbles but have refrained from making my appointment to come in because the car is still drivable and I don't want to make the appointment until it is absolutely necessary.

However, more important to me than the bubble is the loss of what I consider "The S Class Drive". I feel absolutely EVERY road imperfection, bump, twig, leaf, everything. With the car always in "Comfort" mode, it is no better. In "Sport Suspension" mode, I need a trip to the doctor. The Magic Body Control does its best to scan ahead and compensate but these tires just seem to have no ability to absorb the imperfection and instead translate it to the passenger seats directly.

I went on the Mercedes forums which contains a barrel of knowledge and learned that there were many others who were in the same boat as me. They had selected the sports package plus 1 and were now suffering from the most uncomfortable ride. Included in this are some BMW 7 Series drivers who chimed in on how they suffered as well until they made a tire switch to conventional tires and all the ride comfort has returned and they couldn't be happier.

My conclusion is a request of MB Manhattan / MBUSA to consider switching my tires from these dreadful runflats to conventional Michelin Pilot Super Sports. They are available at substantially less than what the runflats cost, and would insure that this S Class would drive and feel exactly as the factory wanted it to in the first place. I would also ask that my warranty be extended towards these new tires. At the end of the day - it would be less of a financial burden on the dealership and more of a comfortable ride for me. A win - win situation in my book.

If I need to direct this to MBUSA - would you let me know who should this should be addressed to?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

I will CC this message onto the forum so that there is a sense of team work going on, rather than disappointed customers feeling like there are no alternatives.

Sincerely,
Bradley
Very good letter. I'm anxious to hear their response.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:47 AM
Banned

2014 S550
Originally Posted by K-A
If you read my post, I said that due to my experiences with the E Classes, who IS hurt by a fundamentally flawed geometry as with small 18" wheels and no RFT's it rides worse than many cars with larger wheels and RFT's, I was genuinely curious about whether or not the issue is related to only tires or if the suspension and chassis geometry play a role in it (again, 20's and RFT's have attained smooth rides before).
No. You said specifically "Yikes, sad to see the harsh suspension issue M-B has been dealing with for years now plagues the S?"

And I have not, nor has anyone else, said anything remotely close to this.

How you got to this statement is beyond me. It is what you do. Then you retreat and change the topic and then the thread is all over the map. I do NOT want this to happen to this thread. When you buy an S Class - and experience a TIRE problem, please come back and offer your opinion. This is for serious people who need to solve a serious problem.

If you've experienced a cloud-like ride with smaller wheels then that answers my question, and that's all I was looking for, so I'll respect what you ask and go on my merry way.
Thank You.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:57 AM
Banned

2014 S550
Thought it was funny. No sooner did I write this last post on the response from the dealer, I got this!

Genuine Mercedes-Benz Accessories tailored to your style.

Dear Bradley,

When you chose your S550, you made a significant decision: you simply wanted the level of elegance, engineering and performance by which all other automotive attempts are judged. So when it comes time to personalize your vehicle - add all the unique options that will make it distinctly yours - don't choose anything less than Genuine Mercedes-Benz Accessories.

Don't just make it yours. Make it all Mercedes-Benz with Genuine Mercedes-Benz Accessories:

All-Season Floor Mats custom-designed and contoured to keep your vehicle's carpeting in top condition.
20" Wheels that can add to your vehicle's poise and performance without compromising on precision.
Rear Spoiler featuring a subtle, lip-type design that adds sporty punctuation to the sleek shape of your S-Class.

Visit Mercedes-Benz Manhattan for these and the ent ire selection of Genuine Mercedes-Benz Accessories.

Sincerely,

Mercedes-Benz Manhattan
Old 03-03-2014, 10:59 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

No. You said specifically "Yikes, sad to see the harsh suspension issue M-B has been dealing with for years now plagues the S?"

And I have not, nor has anyone else, said anything remotely close to this.

How you got to this statement is beyond me. It is what you do. Then you retreat and change the topic and then the thread is all over the map. I do NOT want this to happen to this thread. When you buy an S Class - and experience a TIRE problem, please come back and offer your opinion. This is for serious people who need to solve a serious problem.

Thank You.
Well, that sounds to me like you're trying to open a discussion.

My first question had an explicit? (as in "?", signifying a question). My followup was stating how M-B has been having problems with cars riding excessively jarringly, some of which I have had myself that have rough rides in a way that has nothing to do with tires or even wheel size (i.e, improper dynamics all around). Therefore my curiosity spurred as to whether the S suffers the same issues due to the same problems.

Very simple. I'm mostly interested in seeing as to whether those who swap their RFT's for better tires on their 20" wheels have the situation completely resolved. You say you rode in a W222 with smaller wheels so that answers part of my question right there, and I'll take your word for it.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:01 AM
Banned

2014 S550
Originally Posted by K-A
Well, that sounds to me like you're trying to open a discussion.

My first question had an explicit? (as in "?", signifying a question). My followup was stating how M-B has been having problems with cars riding excessively jarringly, some of which I have had myself that have rough rides in a way that has nothing to do with tires or even wheel size (i.e, improper dynamics all around). Therefore my curiosity spurred as to whether the S suffers the same issues due to the same problems.

Very simple. I'm mostly interested in seeing as to whether those who swap their RFT's for better tires on their 20" wheels have the situation completely resolved. You say you rode in a W222 with smaller wheels so that answers part of my question right there, and I'll take your word for it.
Seriously, please stop and respect my request.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:57 AM

2014 Mercedes S550
Thought it was funny. No sooner did I write this last post on the response from the dealer, I got this!

Genuine Mercedes-Benz Accessories tailored to your style.

Dear Bradley,

When you chose your S550, you made a significant decision: you simply wanted the level of elegance, engineering and performance by which all other automotive attempts are judged. So when it comes time to personalize your vehicle - add all the unique options that will make it distinctly yours - don't choose anything less than Genuine Mercedes-Benz Accessories.

Don't just make it yours. Make it all Mercedes-Benz with Genuine Mercedes-Benz Accessories:

All-Season Floor Mats custom-designed and contoured to keep your vehicle's carpeting in top condition.
20" Wheels that can add to your vehicle's poise and performance without compromising on precision.
Rear Spoiler featuring a subtle, lip-type design that adds sporty punctuation to the sleek shape of your S-Class.

Visit Mercedes-Benz Manhattan for these and the ent ire selection of Genuine Mercedes-Benz Accessories.

Sincerely,

Mercedes-Benz Manhattan
I'm a little confused. Is this the response to the letter you wrote about changing the tires?
Old 03-03-2014, 12:18 PM
Banned

2014 S550
I'm a little confused. Is this the response to the letter you wrote about changing the tires?
Oops I should have clarified. The Dealership sent their mass mail out to S Class buyers. I thought it was funny I got it right after opening an inquiry about the tire problem.

Bad timing.

I have not yet heard back further on our issue.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:27 PM

2014 Mercedes S550
Oh ok, got it. I'm on the phone with MB of Baton Rouge right now trying to see what they think...
Old 03-03-2014, 12:29 PM
Banned

2014 S550
Oh ok, got it. I'm on the phone with MB of Baton Rouge right now trying to see what they think...
We shall post our findings. I hope they just go with it. At the end of the day - if we have to replace 4 tires every 4 months at $450 a tire... they'd be thrilled to have that be $250 per.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:58 PM

2014 Mercedes S550
MB of Baton Rouge, MB of Jackson, and MB of New Orleans were no help at all....

Now I remember why I didn't buy from any of them....
Old 03-03-2014, 03:14 PM

2014 Mercedes S550
My Houston dealer won't let me down though. She never does. Awaiting her response.....
Old 03-03-2014, 03:22 PM
Banned

2014 S550
MB of Baton Rouge, MB of Jackson, and MB of New Orleans were no help at all....

Now I remember why I didn't buy from any of them....
What did they say? "NO, goodbye"?
Old 03-03-2014, 04:13 PM
Banned

2014 S550
Wow

Robin from MB USA called me. The dealer fowarded my email (Im glad I wasn't a d*ckhead) to them!!!!

Her number and extension - 8003676372 x6209

She is working with the dealer to find a solution and they are sorry I am unhappy. Discussions of lowering the wheel size to the 19s and ditching the 20s was raised but i told them how much I loved the 20 inch wheels and would much prefer to switch the tires to Michelins.

Work in Progress - they will return my call. I am really pleased that they called me.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:19 PM

2014 Mercedes S550
What did they say? "NO, goodbye"?
Basically...."Sorry sir, but there is no other option at this time, you are stuck with the RFT's, and we don't know much about the S600 in that regard yet."
Old 03-03-2014, 04:32 PM

2014 Mercedes S550
Wow

Robin from MB USA called me. The dealer fowarded my email (Im glad I wasn't a d*ckhead) to them!!!!

Her number and extension - 8003676372 x6209

She is working with the dealer to find a solution and they are sorry I am unhappy. Discussions of lowering the wheel size to the 19s and ditching the 20s was raised but i told them how much I loved the 20 inch wheels and would much prefer to switch the tires to Michelins.

Work in Progress - they will return my call. I am really pleased that they called me.
That's awesome. I inboxed Mercedes facebook page. They're good with replies, so we'll see what they say...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Thread for proud S Class Owners to Post pictures from time to time