New S550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by MTrauman
Just as clarification--The drive program button and the ECO button are tied together. In other words, when the ECO button is on, the transmission drive program is in E. If you switch the drive program to S (sport) the ECO button shuts off and vice versa.
Are you sure? ECO should not be tied to the transmission program whatsoever.

I have the current SL and it doesn't do it there, but have not seen MB do the ECO any other way on other models
Old 03-26-2014, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DaveVY
I totally agree!! And my wife agrees even more. She hates the start/stop so much that when I drive (and she is in the car) I don't have to turn off the ECO mode because she turns it off immediately after I start the car. So for me the ECO mode is turned off "automatically" almost every time.
It's probably the most hated feature, on par with run flat tires. BMW now keeps the last used setting as a default in memory, just like what MB should do.

I think there are a couple of places that can code this in Europe (or at least they offer the service to permanently disable it). Some Smart car drivers seem to have success simply by bridging the ECO switch (not a good idea), but I think people could make a killing to offer a coding solution for this.

I for one would pay some money for the convenience
Old 03-26-2014, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Are you sure? ECO should not be tied to the transmission program whatsoever.

I have the current SL and it doesn't do it there, but have not seen MB do the ECO any other way on other models

100% positive sure on my 2014 S550 4matic (I live in the US in Pennsylvania since it may not be that way all over the world but my cars drive program is tied to ECO)!

I am trying to investigate how to disable the ECO feature altogether if anyone has suggestions I am all ears.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

100% positive sure on my 2014 S550 4matic (I live in the US in Pennsylvania since it may not be that way all over the world but my cars drive program is tied to ECO)!
Am also in the US, but if that really is the case with the W222 then ECO is a MUST turn-off.

Wonder if you can check next time you drive. Turn off ECO, switch transmission to S. Turn on ECO. Does the transmission actually switch to E? If so, what if you select M?
Old 03-26-2014, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Am also in the US, but if that really is the case with the W222 then ECO is a MUST turn-off.

Wonder if you can check next time you drive. Turn off ECO, switch transmission to S. Turn on ECO. Does the transmission actually switch to E? If so, what if you select M?

I just tried what you asked. Yes the transmission actually switches to E. If I select M (manual mode) then E and S are off and ECO is off.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

I just tried what you asked. Yes the transmission actually switches to E. If I select M (manual mode) then E and S are off and ECO is off.
That sucks. That's the first time I see ECO actually impacting the performance of the car (unless there is another setting in the cluster that ties these together).

So ECO forces the E setting even if ECO is not active due to environmental parameters?

If so, defeating ECO via software will be a bit more complicated.