Internet Connection / App Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by mlewicki
After picking up a 2015 S550, i also noticed the internet slowness when my wife connected her Surface Pro 3 to the car's wifi. After contacting Mercedes, I spoke with a tech who told me the honest truth about what was going on. Apparently, to explain this is in simple (non technical) terms, the reason why the connection is slow (albeit 3G) is because the communication path for the data transfer must travel to Europe first (Germany) and then back to the US. In other words, the servers that manage the connections and handle or relay all the data are for some bizarre reason at the moment only in Germany. If the same infrastructure was setup in the US, there would be no major issues with using the internet radio or wifi. It's very UNFORTUNATE Mercedes would do this to its US customers ... no immediate fix is available that I was made aware of. Only alternative for faster wifi is to use the tethering option on your mobile phone.

Wow! This is simply BS. The data does not transfer to Germany and back. I have tested this with my Ipad in my '14 S550 4matic connected to the car wifi hotspot. I don't remember the city where the server sits but it was in the US in the Midwest--maybe St Louis or Kansas City. It is a Verizon Server--they go by Verizon Telematics.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:57 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
10 speed bicycle
Originally Posted by MTrauman
Wow! This is simply BS. The data does not transfer to Germany and back. I have tested this with my Ipad in my '14 S550 4matic connected to the car wifi hotspot. I don't remember the city where the server sits but it was in the US in the Midwest--maybe St Louis or Kansas City. It is a Verizon Server--they go by Verizon Telematics.
Correct it does go through Verizon telematics (formerly Hughes Telematics) but via VPN it connected to the Daimler Vehicle Backend (DaiVB). Currently only located in Deutschland. There are plans to create a DaiVB here in the US.

So correct, the internet connection path is as follows: COMAND (A40/3)to mbrace control unit (N123/4) via WiFi > Verizon wireless 3G network > Verizon Telematics server > DaiVB > Internet.

DaiVB verifies the vehicle is currently allowed to access the services (ie: MB apps, hotspot, internet radio, etc).
Old 08-20-2014, 09:53 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
yeah I saw MBTech posted so I came to see his avatar
Old 08-20-2014, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by MBtech1098
Correct it does go through Verizon telematics (formerly Hughes Telematics) but via VPN it connected to the Daimler Vehicle Backend (DaiVB). Currently only located in Deutschland. There are plans to create a DaiVB here in the US.

So correct, the internet connection path is as follows: COMAND (A40/3)to mbrace control unit (N123/4) via WiFi > Verizon wireless 3G network > Verizon Telematics server > DaiVB > Internet.

DaiVB verifies the vehicle is currently allowed to access the services (ie: MB apps, hotspot, internet radio, etc).

Thanks for the full explanation. Obviously (from your detailed VPN explanation) you have the details at hand.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 201 Posts
2022 EQS580
I need an update on the MB Apps and in-car WiFi capabilities. Has there been any improvement in recent weeks? I received a letter from MB about a week ago stating that "effective October 19, 2014, in vehicle WiFi will only be active with MB Apps, an optional package available with mbrace services." My free trial with in-car WiFI ended in early July and the free trial for the other package (whatever it's called) will end October 5. I am trying to determine if it's worth it to pay for the subscription now. The internet speed was painfully slow.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 S550 Sedan
Just bought a 2015 s550 and taking delivery in an hour

Is there any update on connectivity issues?
Old 10-04-2014, 06:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
I continue to have good luck with the internet radio. My internet radio works really well compared to when I first started using it in February of this year. I continue to have problems with the internet connection speed if I use my IPad. It is painfully slow.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 201 Posts
2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by MTrauman
I continue to have good luck with the internet radio. My internet radio works really well compared to when I first started using it in February of this year. I continue to have problems with the internet connection speed if I use my IPad. It is painfully slow.
I also think there has been some improvement for Internet Radio. For better or for worse, I just signed up a few days ago for both MBrace packages (WiFi and Safety packages) for 18 months. Compared to how terrible the connectivity for Internet Radio was back in the spring, it is considerably better now. When I talked to the MBrace rep when I signed up, he indicated to me that MB moved the main signal source from Germany to the U.S. or something to that effect (I can't remember his exact words). If so, maybe that's why there is less buffering now on a few stations I listen to from Greece.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:31 PM

2015 S550 Sedan
I've never had an issue with the internet radio in my s550, however the google/internet search and wifi hotspot is just terrible, can't even connect.

Gotta do some more troubleshooting then will complain to dealer
Old 10-16-2014, 01:11 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
S550
Any updates on when we will see 4G integration???
Old 11-24-2014, 10:10 PM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
Forget integrated 4G....has anyone figured out what's different in the US vs. Euro COMAND systems? We know the system is capable of pulling data FROM a mobile phone... the question becomes how to enable it.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:51 AM

S350AMG
2015 S class no data connection

Brand new S350AMG. There is no data or internet connection. Over : months back and forth with the dealer to no avail. This rubbish considering paid over £95k for this car. Any advice please how to get it connected?
Thanks

Originally Posted by chas17weather
A major flaw and disappointment with my 2014 S550 is its atrocious internet connectivity. Accessing internet radio, for example, is successful less than half the time. It's not a location issue as my iPhone has no problem accessing the internet at the same time. The dealership actually said to me to think of the car's internet access "as the option of last resort" when you don't have access via other devices. For a car with this price tag and emphasis on technology, this is completely unacceptable. I'm told there are many other owners of new S cars who are experiencing these same issues.
A major part of MB's advertising highlighted their internet technology which, given its woefully poor performance, is misleading and false. The dealership advises me that MB is aware of the problem and working on a software upgrade and fix. They better do so quickly.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
S350AMG? Sounds like a non-US car (neither an actual AMG model)? Internet connectivity might be like for Euro cars and in that case it is up to your phone and subscription plus network connectivity settings for your service provider, very unlikely any issue with the car itself.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:54 PM

S350AMG
Thanks for the response. The phone network is 4G. I have another car (BMW X5) and the connection and the BMW app works very well. The new MB S350 has no connection. First I was told that it has to be connected via the phone which was a bit of shock for me as BMW connect drive has a separate internet connection unrelated to the phone network. Second, the MB does not connect at all the mobile phone. Yes it's a European version bought it in the UK. Sorry I put AMG, it's only the body style ! It is S350. I cannot send or receive messages, e-mails...etc I cannot connect to any of the MB Apps or internet radio ...etc. the dealership have no idea how to fix it.
I am disappointed. Thanks anyway for the responses.
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
S350AMG? Sounds like a non-US car (neither an actual AMG model)? Internet connectivity might be like for Euro cars and in that case it is up to your phone and subscription plus network connectivity settings for your service provider, very unlikely any issue with the car itself.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:13 PM

S350AMG
Totally agree with you there is no connectivity in the S class. The problem is neither the MB dealer nor the on line help know what is the problem !!!
Originally Posted by chas17weather
A major flaw and disappointment with my 2014 S550 is its atrocious internet connectivity. Accessing internet radio, for example, is successful less than half the time. It's not a location issue as my iPhone has no problem accessing the internet at the same time. The dealership actually said to me to think of the car's internet access "as the option of last resort" when you don't have access via other devices. For a car with this price tag and emphasis on technology, this is completely unacceptable. I'm told there are many other owners of new S cars who are experiencing these same issues.
A major part of MB's advertising highlighted their internet technology which, given its woefully poor performance, is misleading and false. The dealership advises me that MB is aware of the problem and working on a software upgrade and fix. They better do so quickly.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by mahiralrawi
Thanks for the response. The phone network is 4G. I have another car (BMW X5) and the connection and the BMW app works very well. The new MB S350 has no connection. First I was told that it has to be connected via the phone which was a bit of shock for me as BMW connect drive has a separate internet connection unrelated to the phone network. Second, the MB does not connect at all the mobile phone. Yes it's a European version bought it in the UK. Sorry I put AMG, it's only the body style ! It is S350. I cannot send or receive messages, e-mails...etc I cannot connect to any of the MB Apps or internet radio ...etc. the dealership have no idea how to fix it. I am disappointed. Thanks anyway for the responses.
Well, you said it's a Euro version and bought in the UK, but where do you actually drive the car? Europe, India, Asia, or ??
If you would be in the UK, this would be easy to take care of.

The reason I am asking is that the cars system might not to connect to the cellular network for onboard internet-based services where you are. Just like in the U.S. where Internet, Mbrace and traffic services are different than in Europe.

That said, it's well known that MB has lousy Internet solutions as compared to Audi or BMW. On top of that they are more expensive as well...
Old 06-24-2015, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Thanks for the response. The phone network is 4G. I have another car (BMW X5) and the connection and the BMW app works very well. The new MB S350 has no connection. First I was told that it has to be connected via the phone which was a bit of shock for me as BMW connect drive has a separate internet connection unrelated to the phone network. Second, the MB does not connect at all the mobile phone. Yes it's a European version bought it in the UK. Sorry I put AMG, it's only the body style ! It is S350. I cannot send or receive messages, e-mails...etc I cannot connect to any of the MB Apps or internet radio ...etc. the dealership have no idea how to fix it.
I am disappointed.
If it is a UK car and driven in the UK, you will need your own phone for internet connectivity. You seem disappointed but if you read this forum, you find forum members from the US even more disappointed about the MBUSA approach where connectivity comes via MBrace.

The fact that your phone is on 4G does not help much except that you must have a valid data plan. Does your service provider support tethering via your phone? Not all do. If tethering is fine and activated from your phone, you may need to modify "dial-up" parameters for your provider at COMAND. Usually defaults are fine but it can be pretty complicated too and as you say, most often dealers are of no help.

Note that I am from Europe too and have a Euro model, have my phone on 4G/LTE and have no problems with internet connectivity and apps at the car. If you are persistent, you should find a solution too.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S 350 L
European hotspot

Originally Posted by BeachBunny
Forget integrated 4G....has anyone figured out what's different in the US vs. Euro COMAND systems? We know the system is capable of pulling data FROM a mobile phone... the question becomes how to enable it.
I drive an european 2014 S350 L in Italy.
We don't have any Mercedes prepaid contract for the internet, we can only use our mobile phone as hotspot or insert a sim card in the bluetooth adapter and activate the mercedes hotspot.
In the first case the internet speed is decent.
If you use the mercedes hotspot instead with the sim card inserted in the bluetooth adapter the speed is very poor (0,5 Mb/s in download under 3g coverage while the phone itself reaches 10-12 Mb/s).
Old 08-19-2015, 01:48 PM

2015 S600
Mercedes Connectivity Sucks!

Totally agree with you there is no connectivity in the S class. The problem is neither the MB dealer nor the on line help know what is the problem !!!
I attended the 2015 NYC Auto Show. The Mercedes rep told me 4g connectivity was "already available in the 2015 S-Class". That was a lie. Now, as I am ready to order a 2016 S550, fully loaded, I note their website specifically states the connectivity is 3G. I even called Mbrace to see if they offered 4g service and was told "no". What a crock! While I love Mercedes Benz for some reasons, I am not at all happy with the fact that they lag behind in many technologies found on other vehicles years ago. We pay for useless tech from Mercedes only to find they finally got it right the year after we buy a car ... and there are no "software updates" available for changing 3g to 4g, as Mercedes claims to be working on ... another lie. I just read an article where Mercedes and Qualcomm just teamed up to get 4G into "future" models. Come on, how hard can it be to copy GM, Ford, BMW, etc.???
Old 08-19-2015, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by emnic1
I attended the 2015 NYC Auto Show. The Mercedes rep told me 4g connectivity was "already available in the 2015 S-Class". That was a lie. Now, as I am ready to order a 2016 S550, fully loaded, I note their website specifically states the connectivity is 3G. I even called Mbrace to see if they offered 4g service and was told "no". What a crock! While I love Mercedes Benz for some reasons, I am not at all happy with the fact that they lag behind in many technologies found on other vehicles years ago. We pay for useless tech from Mercedes only to find they finally got it right the year after we buy a car ... and there are no "software updates" available for changing 3g to 4g, as Mercedes claims to be working on ... another lie. I just read an article where Mercedes and Qualcomm just teamed up to get 4G into "future" models. Come on, how hard can it be to copy GM, Ford, BMW, etc.???
4G connectivity is no issue with a Euro S-Class. This is unfortunately a US system issue. Not great but not new that a lot of cool MB features take years to come to the US market.

I don't accuse people of lying; they are typically clueless and misinformed. The level of technical knowledge is low for sales people of any brand...
Old 08-19-2015, 05:35 PM

2015 S600
While appreciating your defense of MB in this case, I do not agree based on certain facts. It was not a salesman at a local dealer, it was a factory rep at an international auto show. It was not just any car company, it was Mercedes Benz. He did not say he did not know, nor that he would inquire, he just spoke from his *** or flat out lied. Frankly, when I am looking to spend over $150k, I expect a bit more.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by emnic1
While appreciating your defense of MB in this case, I do not agree based on certain facts. It was not a salesman at a local dealer, it was a factory rep at an international auto show. It was not just any car company, it was Mercedes Benz. He did not say he did not know, nor that he would inquire, he just spoke from his *** or flat out lied. Frankly, when I am looking to spend over $150k, I expect a bit more.
Didn't defend MB in any way; am just used to people of any brand not knowing their own product. This includes factory reps, including more expensive cars than MB (had that with Bentley recently).

I tend to get my own answers for issues that are important to me rather than relying on individuals...
Old 08-19-2015, 11:02 PM

2015 S600
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Didn't defend MB in any way; am just used to people of any brand not knowing their own product. This includes factory reps, including more expensive cars than MB (had that with Bentley recently).

I tend to get my own answers for issues that are important to me rather than relying on individuals...
Who relied on whom? That is exactly what I did and how I found out. Thanks for the wisdom.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:07 AM

2015 S550, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 Yukon Denali XL
LTE upgrade is possible if MB wanted to do it...

Our Tesla came with 3G, it's stupid slow. The slacker radio buffers, the google maps load pretty slow. One month later they started shipping cars with LTE. Of course everyone with 3G is having a fit.

So Tesla just starting shipping upgrade parts to their service centers. So for about $500 they will change out the daughter boards and upgrade customers from 3G to LTE.

MB could do the same thing if they wanted to.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:43 AM

2015 S550
Thumbs down Speedtest on 2015 S550. MB version of VW lie

Here are results from speed test...11.9 kB/s, 80% less than dial-up.

I took my car to dealership and they said I was THE ONLY ONE complaining. I called mbrace and they had no other complaints on file. I think we have another VW incident here!

PS My garage door opener does not work, anyone else have this problem?
Attached Thumbnails Internet Connection / App Problems-s550-internet-speed-test.png  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Internet Connection / App Problems