S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Internet Connection / App Problems

Old 11-03-2016, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 243 Likes on 195 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by rockdassie
MBrace in the 2014 was doomed from the start. They used a 3G modem (totally obsolete) which can not be upgraded to 4G (LTE). The service is atrocious and slow as treacle in Antarctica, and in the USA we pay for it, in Europe I hear one can tether and use ones cellphone for internet service. My car has been "network unavailable" for three weeks despite attempts to upgrade its software over the internet by the MB Technicians. So, a trip to the dealer so I can look forward to slow and erratic service on my new car! IF they manage to fix it! Mercedes obviously is too aloof to read the excellent posts on this forum!
SO if one was to move to Europe with their car, what is the Feature / Software / Hardware modification that needs to be done to get it to work?
Old 11-04-2016, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 s550
Internet connectivity problems

I am complaining vehemently to Mercedes about this issue and the dealer is arranging to have someone from MB to go over my car in detail. I wouldn't care as much as I have satellite radio but the sound quality isn't nearly as good. Extremely disappointed with Mercedes to not have this work on a $125000 car.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by Strimpley
I am complaining vehemently to Mercedes about this issue and the dealer is arranging to have someone from MB to go over my car in detail. I wouldn't care as much as I have satellite radio but the sound quality isn't nearly as good. Extremely disappointed with Mercedes to not have this work on a $125000 car.

Let us know your outcome.

Here is what I have found owning a '14 S550 4matic since December '13 and a '16 S550 4matic.

The dealers (in general) have no clue how to fix the MBrace Tech issues. In early '14 I suggest to MBrace they could hire me as a consultant to fix their MBrace management structure since the service is so bad--they did not take me up on that! Only MBrace tech support can fix the issues unless the is an equipment malfunctions which is usually not the case. In '14 I called almost everyday for 6 months. I was on a first name basis with a Tier 2 Tech Support Supervisor.

In '15 for the '16 S class I called only three months almost everyday. I now use my TuneIn and Iheart Radio daily with some issues from time to time with the screen freezing and a connection not available. But since I used the internet radio so often I now know the time of the computer reset if it locks up. I have been very persistent and it has paid off. I love the internet radio feature.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 s550
Internet Connection/App Problems

Thanks so very much for your comments. At least I know I'm not crazy.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
UNIMOG
fwiw on a '17, mercedes.me/mbrace/apps works flawless. World's apart from a '14. Love being able to start my car from my phone(remote start feature) but really stupid how the engine turns off the moment you open the door.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by lsdreem
fwiw on a '17, mercedes.me/mbrace/apps works flawless. World's apart from a '14. Love being able to start my car from my phone(remote start feature) but really stupid how the engine turns off the moment you open the door.

This MBrace feature (remote start) works flawlessly on my '16 as well. How does the TuneIn and IHeart internet radio work on the '17? Do you get any screen freezes or connection issues for the internet radio?
Old 11-11-2016, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 243 Likes on 195 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by ftlaud1
I don't have Mbrace. I turn on my hotspot on my phone and I can do everything except internet radio that requires Mbrace. Instead I use Pandora on my phone and have no issues via Bluetooth.

Question.... Can you turn on your Hot Spot on your phone and use the MB apps built into the car? Or is this only available out of the country?
Old 11-11-2016, 08:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
UNIMOG
Originally Posted by MTrauman
This MBrace feature (remote start) works flawlessly on my '16 as well. How does the TuneIn and IHeart internet radio work on the '17? Do you get any screen freezes or connection issues for the internet radio?
Only have standard mbrace. The command is much smoother compared to my '14
Old 11-25-2017, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
Internet in trinidad

hi I live in Trinidad. Android auto is not accessible. Car play apps are limited. I cannot connect to connect me since they do not have the service in here. Guys I pay more money here than you guys over there and it’s not fair I am treated like this
Old 10-18-2018, 04:45 PM

c43 amg
Extremely upset dealing with the same issue in a 2018 c43. No doubt in an S class i would expect more than the C class. But Wifi connectivity shouldn’t be this complicated. I can’t even use my TuneInRadio if my phone is running on wifi so I have to use my data which clearly means there’s a glitch in MB wifi connectivity. I’ve watched every single YouTube video to resolve this situation. Nothing works it seems as though the videos that people have success with connecting to their MB wifi are from different countries. I live in Canada. I can not believe they had told u to use your car wifi as last resort. Does anyone have a solution to this why am I having to pay for subscriptions for things I shouldn’t have to when I should just be able to connect to my MB WLAN wifi...........

UOTE=chas17weather;6030446]A major flaw and disappointment with my 2014 S550 is its atrocious internet connectivity. Accessing internet radio, for example, is successful less than half the time. It's not a location issue as my iPhone has no problem accessing the internet at the same time. The dealership actually said to me to think of the car's internet access "as the option of last resort" when you don't have access via other devices. For a car with this price tag and emphasis on technology, this is completely unacceptable. I'm told there are many other owners of new S cars who are experiencing these same issues.
A major part of MB's advertising highlighted their internet technology which, given its woefully poor performance, is misleading and false. The dealership advises me that MB is aware of the problem and working on a software upgrade and fix. They better do so quickly.[/QUOTE]
Old 10-18-2018, 08:41 PM

2015 S600
Perhaps the best solution is to buy a BMW! “The best or nothing “.

Originally Posted by Ren Rosen
Extremely upset dealing with the same issue in a 2018 c43. No doubt in an S class i would expect more than the C class. But Wifi connectivity shouldn’t be this complicated. I can’t even use my TuneInRadio if my phone is running on wifi so I have to use my data which clearly means there’s a glitch in MB wifi connectivity. I’ve watched every single YouTube video to resolve this situation. Nothing works it seems as though the videos that people have success with connecting to their MB wifi are from different countries. I live in Canada. I can not believe they had told u to use your car wifi as last resort. Does anyone have a solution to this why am I having to pay for subscriptions for things I shouldn’t have to when I should just be able to connect to my MB WLAN wifi...........

UOTE=chas17weather;6030446]A major flaw and disappointment with my 2014 S550 is its atrocious internet connectivity. Accessing internet radio, for example, is successful less than half the time. It's not a location issue as my iPhone has no problem accessing the internet at the same time. The dealership actually said to me to think of the car's internet access "as the option of last resort" when you don't have access via other devices. For a car with this price tag and emphasis on technology, this is completely unacceptable. I'm told there are many other owners of new S cars who are experiencing these same issues.
A major part of MB's advertising highlighted their internet technology which, given its woefully poor performance, is misleading and false. The dealership advises me that MB is aware of the problem and working on a software upgrade and fix. They better do so quickly.

[/QUOTE]
Old 10-18-2018, 09:22 PM

c43 amg
Originally Posted by emnic1
Isn’t this a MB forum lol
[/QUOTE]
Old 12-29-2019, 12:18 PM

S65 w222
Nav problem

Hello. I bought MB s65 2015 somedays ago and i have some question regarding the navigation system. It wont open/read the navigation, Please insert map media dvd memory card usb stick to activate navigation?
i checked the dvd rom and the sd card they are empty..
Also tried to connect to the internet via my mobile but it says fonnection status disconnected offline.
any idea on how to run the nav system or how to update it ? Thanks
Old 12-29-2019, 12:39 PM

2015 S600
Originally Posted by Armandino
Hello. I bought MB s65 2015 somedays ago and i have some question regarding the navigation system. It wont open/read the navigation, Please insert map media dvd memory card usb stick to activate navigation?
i checked the dvd rom and the sd card they are empty..
Also tried to connect to the internet via my mobile but it says fonnection status disconnected offline.
any idea on how to run the nav system or how to update it ? Thanks
You say there is no CD or Memory Card in your Navigation system ... that should answer your question. As for the wifi, this thread is about the lack of connectivity even if the wifi were working. Please read the thread. The fact is that older models use a 3g wifi rather than 4g, so they are extremely slow. Also note that wifi requires a subscription from Mbrace. But the subscription is a waste of money for a 3g system.
Old 11-12-2022, 06:18 PM

S550
What a GREAT DISAPPOINTMENT!

MB at least should have fixed this by allowing cars’ Wifi to connect to other Wifi (like Home Wifi), with a software update!
Old 11-14-2022, 04:22 PM

Received 95 Likes on 75 Posts
2016 S550e, 2005 Nissan Xterra 4x4, 1984 300ZX
I tried this service out when it was in a free trail, worthless, all of the functions wouldn't work well at all. Even iHeart Radio was worthless in the car. I have a 5G phone wish I could just tether that to the car and problem solved and they wouldn't have to work with this. ***** my 2011 Nissan Leaf came with 2G and for a few bucks Nissan updated it to 4G after 5 years and that system worked well.