S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Internet Connection / App Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 s550 4matic
Internet Connection / App Problems

A major flaw and disappointment with my 2014 S550 is its atrocious internet connectivity. Accessing internet radio, for example, is successful less than half the time. It's not a location issue as my iPhone has no problem accessing the internet at the same time. The dealership actually said to me to think of the car's internet access "as the option of last resort" when you don't have access via other devices. For a car with this price tag and emphasis on technology, this is completely unacceptable. I'm told there are many other owners of new S cars who are experiencing these same issues.
A major part of MB's advertising highlighted their internet technology which, given its woefully poor performance, is misleading and false. The dealership advises me that MB is aware of the problem and working on a software upgrade and fix. They better do so quickly.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 201 Posts
2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by chas17weather
A major flaw and disappointment with my 2014 S550 is its atrocious internet connectivity. Accessing internet radio, for example, is successful less than half the time. It's not a location issue as my iPhone has no problem accessing the internet at the same time. The dealership actually said to me to think of the car's internet access "as the option of last resort" when you don't have access via other devices. For a car with this price tag and emphasis on technology, this is completely unacceptable. I'm told there are many other owners of new S cars who are experiencing these same issues.
A major part of MB's advertising highlighted their internet technology which, given its woefully poor performance, is misleading and false. The dealership advises me that MB is aware of the problem and working on a software upgrade and fix. They better do so quickly.
Unfortunately, I have to totally agree with you. I sure hope they fix it because as you stated, it does not work a lot of the time. And, even when I do get connectivity, sometimes the buffering for some stations is so bad it is worthless.

Last edited by AppleFan1; 05-04-2014 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:59 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
I totally agree too. My phone can't connect to MB WLAN 81456 which is what my car says. It will connect then disconnect and say weak signal.

On my 2012 Audi A8L my phone immediately connects to Audi Wifi and it's lightening fast - same with Ipad.

In the 550 - it is just a complete waste.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:02 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
‘23 Rivian R1S, ‘22 Maybach S, ‘24 Range Rover Autobiography, ‘22 Tesla X, &
Unfortunately it is only 3G. In today's day and age it might as well be a 300 Baud modem.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by Tomshop
Unfortunately it is only 3G. In today's day and age it might as well be a 300 Baud modem.
So, is it possible for MB to upgrade to 4G and we can all get this update, or is this a "no can do"? In any case, something needs to be done about this. It stinks right now.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:16 PM
Banned

2014 S550
Originally Posted by BeanTrader
So, is it possible for MB to upgrade to 4G and we can all get this update, or is this a "no can do"? In any case, something needs to be done about this. It stinks right now.
Is there a monthly charge for the wifi after a certain number of months?
Old 05-04-2014, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by Chucky300
Is there a monthly charge for the wifi after a certain number of months?
I believe there is a monthly charge. I think it is $14 per month but I could be wrong on the price.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S 550
Unfortunately I also agree that MB needs to get their act together on this. This connectivity part of their technology cannot have a 4 year development cycle. I love this car, but don't understand why MB decided on this new design, of their flagship product, to use a technology that was years behind any current mobile phone manufacturer. They either need to get serious about having a modular design that allows them to plug in the latest tech, or partner with one of the premier mobile tech companie and let the other company handle this part.

Love this car, but knowing the connectivity is only 3G I haven't even activated the internet function because I don't want to be disappointed.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:18 PM
Banned

2014 S550
Originally Posted by BeanTrader
I believe there is a monthly charge. I think it is $14 per month but I could be wrong on the price.
The Audi has that. I'm very happy with that feature though.

If MB has it - there's no way I'll pay that.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Verizon Telematics is in charge so I have no idea why they didn't migrate the 2014 and 2015 models to Verizon LTE.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
This cannot be about lack of LTE support. I often listen to internet radio over 2G/2.5G GSM and it works fine at the edge of coverage.

I understand you are using the MBrace internet connectivity. Either the 3G network is absolutely congested (in which case one would have crap service from a cell phone too, assuming it is on the same carrier) or the service agreement is poor and the carrier restricts throughput severely. I'm guessing the latter.

For us in Europe internet connectivity comes via your own cell phone which means it works equally fast (or slow) as your cell phone would do. MB USA could do the same in the US but they probably want to force car owners to use MBrace.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Ok, here is the latest scoop on this problem. I just got off the phone with MBUSA support folks. I explained to them the problem and that everyone is having the same issue with internet connectivity with the 2014 S550. It's worse than terrible. I furthermore told them that I read online on the MB forum that there may be a software update on this issue. The guy then put me on hold and actually contacted Germany. He was told that there will be no software update as such, but that MB is working on a system speed upgrade. We would not have to do anything. If they come through with what I was told today, then eventually internet connectivity will be vastly improved.

Before I got off the phone with them, I indicated that MB is promoting this feature like it is something real neat. "However", I stated, "it is anything but neat and it is bad publicity for Mercedes." He wrote down my remarks. Hopefully, we will see an improvement in the not too distant future.

Last edited by AppleFan1; 05-05-2014 at 04:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Nice Ride (11-03-2016)
Old 05-06-2014, 09:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ML63
Bean, thank you for stepping in and make sure that your voice is heard by MBUSA.

Another option that may derive certain results is to contact Jeff Leddy, Chief Executive Officer at Verizon Telematics, and tell him to update their marketing literature by removing any references to (quoting directly from their current web site) "…best in class wireless services…" as their current offering is a shame and does not deserve to stand next to the Mercedes Benz brand.
Nice Ride (11-03-2016)
Old 05-06-2014, 10:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
This cannot be about lack of LTE support. I often listen to internet radio over 2G/2.5G GSM and it works fine at the edge of coverage.

I understand you are using the MBrace internet connectivity. Either the 3G network is absolutely congested (in which case one would have crap service from a cell phone too, assuming it is on the same carrier) or the service agreement is poor and the carrier restricts throughput severely. I'm guessing the latter.
Verizon 3G has taken a backseat to LTE in the US. Average is about 1 mbps so its no shock that the service is pretty sluggish.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
I called MBUSA Customer Service today. They know it is slow and does not work well. Although the person was very nice on the phone she stated there is no plan to do anything about the slowness. She stated "they have to get through the first year of this new car first". I think if enough people call and complain they are more likely to do something about it. As it stands, there is not "a fire they need to put out" even though they know it is crappy reception.

With that said these are the type of things that gives MB a bad mark on their decent reputation. I am a big MB supporter since I have spent a ton of money on MBs over the years. But this really PISSES ME OFF. This is an inferior product and they know it and they don't seem to give a rip. The internet radio is cool but if it does not work it is junk.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:59 PM

ML63
Guys,

Has anybody already tried the Wi-Fi hotspot feature in your S-class? How is it compared speed-wise? Can you do a speed test (using any of the available internet resources like www.speedtest.net), and share your throughput numbers?

Just trying to get an idea as to whether it is the connectivity that sucks across the board, or just the Internet Radio protocol deficiency over somewhat congested 3G traffic lanes...
Old 05-06-2014, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by Terminator2029
Guys,

Has anybody already tried the Wi-Fi hotspot feature in your S-class? How is it compared speed-wise? Can you do a speed test (using any of the available internet resources like www.speedtest.net), and share your throughput numbers?

Just trying to get an idea as to whether it is the connectivity that sucks across the board, or just the Internet Radio protocol deficiency over somewhat congested 3G traffic lanes...

INTENET CONNECTION SUCKS ACROSS THE BOARD!!!

SHAME ON MB!!

Well I think you hit on the biggest problem--the speed of the internet connection. I first took my Mini Ipad and tested my home internet connection--on my home with this device the connection speed was 13.85Mbps download and 3.32 Mbps upload--relatively fast. I then took the same device and tried to do it in the car hooked up to the WiFi hotspot and it was so slow that one could not even do the test--it timed out do to the slow speed. One thing I noticed is that when the TuneIn Radio is actually working it states that some stations stream at 28kbps or 48 kbps. This is about as fast as the old dialups in 1995. Also when using my Mini Ipad connected to the in-car WiFi hot spot, it is about as slow as the old dial ups.

Mercedes Benz is just fricking cheap on their connection speed. I spend $120k on a car and they are using technology that we used in 1995. This reminds me of when I used to take my cell phone and connect it to my laptop and the connection speed was 28kbps. This took about 10 minutes just to load a webpage "back in the day". MB should be ashamed at this but in reality they do not give a *** since they sell us $120k cars and tell us to enjoy the rest of the car minus the technology which is what MBUSA told me today.

Don't get me wrong--I love my '14 S550 4matic. But I believe MB knows we love our cars and they simply don't care the technology is 1995 vintage.
Nice Ride (11-03-2016)
Old 05-06-2014, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by MTrauman
INTENET CONNECTION SUCKS ACROSS THE BOARD!!!

SHAME ON MB!!

Well I think you hit on the biggest problem--the speed of the internet connection. I first took my Mini Ipad and tested my home internet connection--on my home with this device the connection speed was 13.85Mbps download and 3.32 Mbps upload--relatively fast. I then took the same device and tried to do it in the car hooked up to the WiFi hotspot and it was so slow that one could not even do the test--it timed out do to the slow speed. One thing I noticed is that when the TuneIn Radio is actually working it states that some stations stream at 28kbps or 48 kbps. This is about as fast as the old dialups in 1995. Also when using my Mini Ipad connected to the in-car WiFi hot spot, it is about as slow as the old dial ups.

Mercedes Benz is just fricking cheap on their connection speed. I spend $120k on a car and they are using technology that we used in 1995. This reminds me of when I used to take my cell phone and connect it to my laptop and the connection speed was 28kbps. This took about 10 minutes just to load a webpage "back in the day". MB should be ashamed at this but in reality they do not give a *** since they sell us $120k cars and tell us to enjoy the rest of the car minus the technology which is what MBUSA told me today.

Don't get me wrong--I love my '14 S550 4matic. But I believe MB knows we love our cars and they simply don't care the technology is 1995 vintage.

I should have added--for business I use a Verizon cell card for my laptop. It is very fast. The technology is available to make the technology in our S Classes first rate. Apparently the agreement that MB has with Verizon gave us the old 1995 Vintage Technology and not the same technology I used when I travel with my laptop cell internet card.

MB should take not of this because it really is going to put a shadow over the great S Class cars-especially since they are touting the great technology of the '14/'15 S class cars.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 S550, 2011 E350 Cabriolet, Asgard Mothership
So far I'm unimpressed with mbrace so I don't see myself extending it. I do wonder if MB is just working on adding iCar to the current models so we can use our iPhones. That would be fine by me as the iPhone will always be a better device.

I will keep the basic emergency functions but as of the current system, nothing else. I should add if I need concierge services, I just call my MasterCard folks so I don't see myself using that part either.

It's a nice idea, but better to let car folks deal with cars. It would have been nice though considering the size of these screens.

I also have location services through Fuse so I can keep track of the car and geofencing, etc.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by Terminator2029
Guys,

From my experimentation, it is the connectivity in general that is painfully slow when it works at all.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:37 PM

ML63
I have a fully loaded MY15 S65 on order to be built in July. If my S-babe comes with the dial-up age Internet, I will order a very large sticker saying "This vehicle is equipped with Verizon technology that SUCKS (ask inside for details)" and will drive with this sticker attached for as long as the respective technology company continues dodging us, consumers, with fake promises and unacceptable wireless service. Watch the Internet for photos and videos of my car starting August.
Nice Ride (11-03-2016)
Old 05-06-2014, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
I have some hope based on my conversation the other day that MB is working on a system wide solution. But then again maybe they were lying to me or just trying to pacify me.

As an aside from this thread, we from from Des Moines to St. Louis today. Here was a very strong direct headwind (from the southeast) at 20-35 mph. The gas mileage was only 25.8 mph. I love the way the car drove on this 360 mile trip. It is SO relaxing.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by MTrauman
I should have added--for business I use a Verizon cell card for my laptop. It is very fast. The technology is available to make the technology in our S Classes first rate. Apparently the agreement that MB has with Verizon gave us the old 1995 Vintage Technology and not the same technology I used when I travel with my laptop cell internet card.
From previous replies I conclude (still guessing) that it is not about the technology at the car but actually the problem of modern carrier technology where they can accurately control the data rate for different customers. Now MBUSA must have ordered something "best effort at dial-up speed, assuming nobody else is in need for the bandwidth". Your service would improve dramatically if someone at MBUSA changed the deal with the carrier they are using.

I sort of understand the MBUSA business idea but they should allow internet access the European way at least for MB race customers.

Those speed test results would be useful in any case.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:39 AM

ML63
FYI - I sent a link to this discussion to Eric Berkobin (VP of Engineering) and Chuck Link (CTO) at Verizon Telematics on Tuesday last week, politely asking to review and comment on the Mercedes Benz customer experience with internet connectivity. They both received and read my email (Eric - on Tue PM, Chuck - on Wed AM).

Given the lack of commentary from Verizon Telematics executives, I can personally draw a logical conclusion that THEY DON'T CARE.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
I now have confirmed that the connection speed is slower than molasses in January in Siberia with the vintage of 1995.

I tested my S class internet connection speed this morning. I used my Apple MiniIpad. My test locatation was Wexford, PA off the Interstate 79 and Route 910 exit. The test stated I connected to a server in Wichita, KS with a company called Pexius Communications LLC.

THIS IS WERE YOU BETTER BE SITTING DOWN. The speed was a pathetic .15Mbps download and .19 Mbps upload. I think this is the speed when Al Gore invented the internet.

I will have to say that my internet radio has been working a little better since about last Wednesday. You may recall I called MBUSA last week to complain. It seems like my internet radio has worked better ever since. Maybe a coincidence or maybe not. I am hoping MBUSA and Verizon Telematics are reading this because other potential S Class owners will be looking towards what the new S class first adapters say.

Also, when the internet radio works it is awesome. And the stereo system beats the heck out of the Hamon Kardon that I had in the '08 S550 4matic. And I do not have the rocking Upgraded $6400 system.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Internet Connection / App Problems