S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

help: why S550 or S63 and not Maserati Quattroporte GTS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by Germancar1
1. Doesn't matter what Ferrari has or hasn't won, look at the cars. They are indeed related to their racing cars. Trying to say Porsche is more so is really like splitting hairs, they both do the same thing, race to improve the breed. Neither have a clear, head and shoulders advantage here. That is a pitiful excuse for Porsche and their non involvement in F1 really. It is the top of the line racing series in the world in so many ways. Ferrari and McLaren are better for this reason.

3. Yes all that. Porsche is not perfect.

4. Tech, performance, you name it, a different level of driving experience. The complete comparison hasn't been done...yet.

5. You just proved my point actually lol. If you're going to compare turbos to naturally aspirated then you aren't talking apples to apples.

6. I still say it doesn't matter, especially to Ferrari owners. It is long way from a Boxster to to a F12 or a 458i. Mass market compared to ultra exclusive. Porsches are not cheap to run either, again splitting hairs IMO. The Porsche's I've seen being serviced are done an prices that scare the **** out of me and I'm used to having older Mercedes' so I'm not exactly new to this game, but Porsche? Expensive as hell, Ferrari just more so.

The S-Class is a match for the Flying Spur IMO, but not the Mulsanne. Either way Mercedes is at the top. Maserati isn't even close. Much different from the Ferrari vs Porsche argument. Italian cars force you to deal with more because you get more. Their design and low volume production ensure exclusivity and Porsche can't touch that. There is a reason why old Ferraris sell for millions. Porsche is more everyday, and that is fine, but Ferrari way more exotic.

M
1. Developing a couple hundred million dollar F1 program would do what for porsche? As far as I know, they have never had a huge interest in F1. Are Macca and Fezza better for it, sure. To me though, using cars like the GT3 RSR and similar in le mans cars translates to a better street car than a switchable traction control system. perhaps I'm more interested in longevity and useability than a few whiz bang f1 tricks or materials (particularly the gearbox).

3. Agreed.

4. tech? don't care. Performance...all are beyond the limits of even excellent drivers and cannot be exploited on the roads...different level of driving experience...I'd argue that the driving experience is different, but not necessarily better one way or another.

5. well, ferrari decided to go with a high revving NA car. They could have chosen to use turbos but didn't. Ferrari delivered what they thought was their best engine, porsche did likewise. And the porsche absolutely crushes the ferrari in torque production and delivery.

6. eh, dealer service for acuras is expensive too. I don't find porsche repair more ridiculous than bmw or mercedes, whereas ferrari is another level. And yes, porsche offers a wider array of price points for sure.

I would agree somewhat with flying spur, not so much with the other models as you noted.

I don't believe you get more with ferraris.

I personally don't give a rats *** about exclusivity, so that argument doesn't work with me.

As for the selling prices of old ferraris, have a look at 65 to 68 911s, 72 RS 911s, 959s, carrera GTs, 550 spyders, 356 carreras, and some of the racing junk like 917s/962s. All sell VERY strongly, albeit at a lower level than the very desirable ferraris.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, 2014 Kia Sorento SXL AWD
The playing field is completely shattered when comparing an S63 against the Quattroporte GTS.. 3.9 sec for the S63 (which isn't even the fastest non-SLS AMG... The E63 is 3.5 sec) 0-60 for the S compared to the fastest Maserati (which happens to be the Quattroporte) at 4.7 sec. And don't say you don't care about 0-60 numbers, or you wouldn't be getting the S63 or GTS...

Not to mention the level of technology and equipment when comparing the S63 to the Quattroporte... Let alone the S's interior!
Old 05-14-2014, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, 2014 Kia Sorento SXL AWD
Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach
There's a reason Ferrari is held to such high esteem, in addition to outperforming Porsche in several areas as previously mentioned, they compete in a completely different segment - Porsche is a mass-market, performance product and Ferrari is more of a botique, lower volume performance product.

Also, I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but almost every Ferrari (designed by Pininfarina or not) is an absolute work of art, a beautiful hand crafted piece out of Maranello blessed by the Scuderia Gods. Most Porsches around here don't get second looks, mostly because of how common they are, and not to mention they all look the same to most people. A little bit VW beetle-esque in my opinion. Also, Chris Harris put it accurately: the 991 911 isn't at a strong point compared to its predecessors.

Ferrari > Porsche any day in my opinion, granted I've never owned either and they don't compete against each other in the segment.
+100
Old 05-14-2014, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
1. Developing a couple hundred million dollar F1 program would do what for porsche? As far as I know, they have never had a huge interest in F1. Are Macca and Fezza better for it, sure. To me though, using cars like the GT3 RSR and similar in le mans cars translates to a better street car than a switchable traction control system. perhaps I'm more interested in longevity and useability than a few whiz bang f1 tricks or materials (particularly the gearbox).

3. Agreed.

4. tech? don't care. Performance...all are beyond the limits of even excellent drivers and cannot be exploited on the roads...different level of driving experience...I'd argue that the driving experience is different, but not necessarily better one way or another.

5. well, ferrari decided to go with a high revving NA car. They could have chosen to use turbos but didn't. Ferrari delivered what they thought was their best engine, porsche did likewise. And the porsche absolutely crushes the ferrari in torque production and delivery.

6. eh, dealer service for acuras is expensive too. I don't find porsche repair more ridiculous than bmw or mercedes, whereas ferrari is another level. And yes, porsche offers a wider array of price points for sure.

I would agree somewhat with flying spur, not so much with the other models as you noted.

I don't believe you get more with ferraris.

I personally don't give a rats *** about exclusivity, so that argument doesn't work with me.

As for the selling prices of old ferraris, have a look at 65 to 68 911s, 72 RS 911s, 959s, carrera GTs, 550 spyders, 356 carreras, and some of the racing junk like 917s/962s. All sell VERY strongly, albeit at a lower level than the very desirable ferraris.

1. It isn't about what it would do for Porsche, it is the fact they aren't there and the other big names are there. Porsche is missing out not Ferrari and the others who race in F1.

4. It doesn't matter if it can be exploited on the street or not. None of these cars are safe over 50% of their capability on the street. Meaningless to argue that point. At the track is where these cars prove themselves and that is where both legends were made. I agree different experience.

5. Like I said before you're perception of Ferrari is slightly outdated. The new California T is turbocharged. That is the route they are going with some of their cars. Again you're comparing apples to oranges. Saying that Porsche crushes Ferrari in torque delivery is disingenuous at best because you know the aren't playing same game. The only Porsche sports car that is turbocharged is the 911 so I'm not sure what you're talking about because the basic 911 and the GT3 variants (991) are all naturally aspirated like the Ferrari. Uh no dice. Porsche follows the same practice for the majority of their sports cars. Only the 911 Turbo "crushes" in that regard.

6. Anyone with an Acura is limited IMO. They're nothing but fancy Hondas. We all know full well than an Acura is not a expensive as German car to maintain. Yeah Ferrari is another level, I stated that, but when it comes to maintaining something like a 997 911 turbo out of warranty vs a Ferrari of the same year neither is cheap. That is the point. You're arguing about who is more expensive when they're both ridiculous to the guy in the "Acura". It's a moot point at this level.

I didn't name any other Bentley model other than the Mulsanne which is clearly head and shoulders above the S-Class in some areas, but not all.

Old Ferraris still sell for more so that goes to Ferrari. Not sure what the argument is really. This is a fact. Doesn't detract from Porsche.

It really doesn't matter man we're getting lost in meaningless details, the point is that Mercedes vs Maserati is NOTHING like Porsche vs Ferrari. That point still stands. Maserati is no where near Mercedes, but Ferrari and Porsche are tops in the sports/exotic car game. All Maser has on Mercedes is looks and sound and maybe the way it drives and that is dependent on preferences. Outside of that a car like the Ghibli is a disaster vs the typical E-Class of 5-Series.

M

Last edited by Germancar1; 05-14-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G550, G65, Conti GT V8S
V6's and Chrysler parts are not what stirs automotive passion. It makes for more attainable cars for the masses.

I wish Bentley quality was all what people make it out to be. Lots of VW logo parts, had stitching and rattle issues galore in 2013 GT. Bluetooth phone never worked. Nav system so slow paper maps more efficient. Key would not reliably lock or unlock car and only close up. Touchscreen super slow to respond. And so I walked away from a Flying Spur order after comparing S63. Flying Spur is more like a Flying Passat.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:57 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by gotwire
Flying Spur is more like a Flying Passat.
At least the current (previous?) body style, I agree completely, just looks like a big fancy previous-gen Passat to me.

As for Porsche vs Ferrari: I'd say that Porsche sits somewhere between Mercedes and Ferrari and leave it at that.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
They need to make the flying Pontiac Aztec, the best car ever produced following the PT cruiser. Screw Ferrari and Porsche.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:03 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
OP: what's it going to be??

don't be like KA and speculate; and never buy the car LOL
Old 05-15-2014, 07:08 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by hyperion667
OP: what's it going to be??

don't be like KA and speculate; and never buy the car LOL
Whaaa?! Damn. I've had 6 (3 used, 3 brand new) cars in 6 years! My speculation can only last so long! About to get a new one again pretty soon. You been spoiled by all your rapid-fire switching that you've lost touch of reality mang! Some of us lil guys can only swing one new car a year.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:20 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Old 05-18-2014, 11:51 AM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 S63, 2013 E350 Bluetec
I don't own a QP but have driven several for short distances. What I don't like is the automatic transmission lever. Shifting from P to R to almost impossible. You go from P to D and back to R, maybe it stops in N on the way. Maybe I just needed practise but there is something "not right" about the way the gear selector lever functions. Definitely not intuitive.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 MB Lorinser S550, '06 MB R350, '04 Porsche 911 cabriolet
I'm on the same dilemma: s63 vs QP GTS.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:06 PM

'07 MB Lorinser S550, '06 MB R350, '04 Porsche 911 cabriolet
checked out prices at truecar, after incentives s63 amg is >$10k more than QP GTS.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:22 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
2012 W221 S63, 2016 W166 GLE350d
With my personal experience, I would not get another S63 after the lease on my current lease expires. It's not good to drive in the city. There's way too much power for day to day city driving and I'm rarely on the highways. To be completely honest, it's quite boring to drive it at city speeds simply because there's sufficient power for the car to keep the revs below 1500 and at those engine speeds; it's just not engaging for the driver. Yes, you could use the paddles and rev it higher. I did love the my S63 (and I still do) for the first few weeks but I got tired of the exhaust permeating the cabin in an S-Class, kind of defeats the purpose of an S-Class. Maybe the new S63 in C mode is quieter for the times when you want a more serene cabin experience but I'm not sure; there isn't a single W222 S63 here for me to test drive.

With that said, I'm not saying the S63 is a bad car; totally the opposite of that. Just not well suited for stop and go city traffic.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by bb1510
With my personal experience, I would not get another S63 after the lease on my current lease expires. It's not good to drive in the city. There's way too much power for day to day city driving and I'm rarely on the highways. To be completely honest, it's quite boring to drive it at city speeds simply because there's sufficient power for the car to keep the revs below 1500 and at those engine speeds; it's just not engaging for the driver. Yes, you could use the paddles and rev it higher. I did love the my S63 (and I still do) for the first few weeks but I got tired of the exhaust permeating the cabin in an S-Class, kind of defeats the purpose of an S-Class. Maybe the new S63 in C mode is quieter for the times when you want a more serene cabin experience but I'm not sure; there isn't a single W222 S63 here for me to test drive.

With that said, I'm not saying the S63 is a bad car; totally the opposite of that. Just not well suited for stop and go city traffic.
Exactly why I got my S550, otherwise it would have been a 600. In the past, I have liked those engines, but just no need for the power in the city.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2018 Lexus LS500
Originally Posted by BruNo
Looking out for third party opinions: why should i go for an S550 or S63 and not a Maserati Quattroporte GTS?

Im a current BMW 7series owner, my first bimmer, after being a benz person for 14 years straight. Now im looking at going back to benz or trying out maserati
The only advantage of a Maserati GTS is that they are some great deals out there. I was reading the newspaper and there was an advertisement for 30k off. Do not buy a Maserati lease it. It will break down so much. If you want a nice backseat, reliability, and expensive materials throughout buy the s class. As for the s63 or s550 I would buy a used s63 for 125k with 8k miles. I can't decide between the s500 plug-in or s550
Old 01-23-2015, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500

Yes clearly you should have gotten a S550. Would you consider going "down" to one?

M
Old 01-23-2015, 07:46 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
2012 W221 S63, 2016 W166 GLE350d
Originally Posted by Germancar1
Yes clearly you should have gotten a S550. Would you consider going "down" to one?

M
Yes. Definitely. The S550 does 0-100 in 4.8 seconds which is more than sufficient. I might even consider an S400 as well. There isn't that much of a differentiating factor for the exterior of the AMG models and the AMG pack on the W222 versus the outgoing vehicles.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,419 Likes on 1,948 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Where I live, I can walk to dealerships for Ferrari, Maserati, McLaren, Porsche, Bentley, BMW and Audi. MB, Rolls-Royce, Aston-Martin, Jaguar, Range Rover and Lamborghini are a five or ten minute drive. I see these cars everywhere and the ones I laugh at are the ridiculous Maseratis with their idiotic and annoying exhaust note. It reminds me of when we were kids, fastening playing cards to our bicycles with clothespins, so we could feel like we were riding something racy. Maseratis always seem to be driven by people who look like they probably play tennis in shorts, dress shoes and black socks. Maseratis just don't seem to fit in much of anywhere. They don't do any one thing very well, they just look pretty sitting on a showroom floor. A Maserati looks great the day you buy it and the day you sell it. The rest of the time, most drivers of true luxury and real performance cars are laughing at them. Maserati was a grand old name that was resurrected as a marque for wannabe Ferrari owners--who really should be driving Volvos anyway. Maseratis are like older Jags: pretty to look at, but don't push it too hard or you'll lose it and don't be surprised if it strands you repeatedly. Maseratis should be relegated to the old axiom: "If it flys, floats or f--ks, RENT IT." In this case, the Maserari is the latter and you'll need a shot of penicillin in the morning. Buy the MB, buy anything else, but just let that loud, obnoxious "lady" leave with someone else.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...

Ah, you and I are on the same page my friend. As I drive down Pacific Coast Highway, along the Gold Coast of Orange County, it is simply comical to see all of these characters in their McLarens, Ferraris, Lambos and AMG Whatevers, driving along at the same speed as everyone else. Sure, they can rev their engines and make a lot of noise, but just WHAT do you do with more than about 300HP on the street? Frankly, I would MUCH prefer to see a big, normally aspirated V12 in the S600, putting out maybe 400HP of silky smooth, non-turbo molested propulsion. Why anyone would need or want the 523HP if they have to do it with turbos, is beyond me. That was the one thing I liked about my Lexus LS460L, that it had a normally aspirated V8 that was absolutely silent, silky smooth and never had any of the hiccups, lag and other uneasiness associated with turbochargers. If, in my new S550, I had been given the choice of the standard, 449HP turbo V8 or a 350HP non-turbo V8, I would have paid EXTRA for the non-turbo engine, which would move me along way faster than I would ever drive anyway and it would do so with the smoothness of Sinatra, as opposed to the turbocharged gyrations of Metallica.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,417 Likes on 3,146 Posts
'71 Pinto
Maserati, dated clip but I would have the same problem Tony has
Old 01-25-2015, 06:42 PM

07' ML350

my Quattroporte GTS has arrived, seen here still on the ship while I loaded my 7 for a trip going the opposite way.

Didnt push thru with the S63, it was a 6 month wait here and dealer wants a lot more $$$$ only 2 years warranty, and wouldnt take my 7 as a trade.

@Streamliner........i disagree with the Ferrari wannabee comment...... In Fact, the $$$ I paid for my Maserati here in the Philippines could easily buy a brandnew Ferrari or Bentley where you live.

Last edited by BruNo; 01-25-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Where I live, I can walk to dealerships for Ferrari, Maserati, McLaren, Porsche, Bentley, BMW and Audi. MB, Rolls-Royce, Aston-Martin, Jaguar, Range Rover and Lamborghini are a five or ten minute drive. I see these cars everywhere and the ones I laugh at are the ridiculous Maseratis with their idiotic and annoying exhaust note. It reminds me of when we were kids, fastening playing cards to our bicycles with clothespins, so we could feel like we were riding something racy. Maseratis always seem to be driven by people who look like they probably play tennis in shorts, dress shoes and black socks. Maseratis just don't seem to fit in much of anywhere. They don't do any one thing very well, they just look pretty sitting on a showroom floor. A Maserati looks great the day you buy it and the day you sell it. The rest of the time, most drivers of true luxury and real performance cars are laughing at them. Maserati was a grand old name that was resurrected as a marque for wannabe Ferrari owners--who really should be driving Volvos anyway. Maseratis are like older Jags: pretty to look at, but don't push it too hard or you'll lose it and don't be surprised if it strands you repeatedly. Maseratis should be relegated to the old axiom: "If it flys, floats or f--ks, RENT IT." In this case, the Maserari is the latter and you'll need a shot of penicillin in the morning. Buy the MB, buy anything else, but just let that loud, obnoxious "lady" leave with someone else.
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Ah, you and I are on the same page my friend. As I drive down Pacific Coast Highway, along the Gold Coast of Orange County, it is simply comical to see all of these characters in their McLarens, Ferraris, Lambos and AMG Whatevers, driving along at the same speed as everyone else. Sure, they can rev their engines and make a lot of noise, but just WHAT do you do with more than about 300HP on the street? Frankly, I would MUCH prefer to see a big, normally aspirated V12 in the S600, putting out maybe 400HP of silky smooth, non-turbo molested propulsion. Why anyone would need or want the 523HP if they have to do it with turbos, is beyond me. That was the one thing I liked about my Lexus LS460L, that it had a normally aspirated V8 that was absolutely silent, silky smooth and never had any of the hiccups, lag and other uneasiness associated with turbochargers. If, in my new S550, I had been given the choice of the standard, 449HP turbo V8 or a 350HP non-turbo V8, I would have paid EXTRA for the non-turbo engine, which would move me along way faster than I would ever drive anyway and it would do so with the smoothness of Sinatra, as opposed to the turbocharged gyrations of Metallica.
you're incredibly strange, you know that?

I think you would be perfectly suited in an early 90s cadillac fleetwood brougham. it even has a spare tire
Old 01-25-2015, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you would be perfectly suited in an early 90s cadillac fleetwood brougham. it even has a spare tire
My thoughts exactly.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

When someone ran a red light and totaled my parent's Chrysler Cordoba, for that Christmas of 1985, I bought them a brand new Cadillac Seville, white with saddle leather. The car really was a looker for 1985. I got a gigantic ribbon and bow and parked it in front of their house on Christmas morning. While the family was opening gifts, my mom opened a cassette tape, but said "the only cassette player we have is in the Cordoba." I said "oh, I forgot, I got you a new cassette player--could you give me a hand getting it out of the car?" Well, there were tears and "oh you shouldn't haves," and it was a great day.
My dad babied that car, changing the oil himself, every 2,000 miles. He never drove it hard. Then, on the way back to L.A. from Las Vegas, the entire engine left town. The car was towed back to the L.A. Caddy dealer. It was TWO HUNDRED miles past the warranty expiration and Cadillac refused to do anything about it. After a FedEx letter to Roger Smith, then President of GM-which was never answered and weeks of fighting over this mess, I totally lost it with the service manager at the dealership and told them what they could do with their piece of s__t car and that I was going to buy my dad a new Lexus. Well, "Lexus" must have been the secret word, because right there and then, they agreed to replace the engine at no charge.
Anyway, that's my one and only Cadillac story.
As for my thoughts on other cars: You can read them or not, like them or hate them. Who's counting, who cares?
As for me being "incredibly strange," what? I should be normal?

Last edited by Streamliner; 01-25-2015 at 07:31 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: help: why S550 or S63 and not Maserati Quattroporte GTS?