S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

A/C turns off, weird musty smell.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:34 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
UNIMOG
A/C turns off, weird musty smell.

It's been in the 90's lately in SoCal so we have the a/c on full blast. I just noticed recently that whenever I would come to a stoplight, the A/C would turn off while the fans keep blowing.

I figured out that it was the ECO mode shutting off the A/C while it is initiated (Stop mode) and then back on again once we get moving. However warm musty air blows through the vents while in ECO Mode.

Just wondering if this is happening to anyone else. Might be time to change the cabin filter.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:10 PM

UNIMOG
Yeah ok, no one wants to touch this one. Just know that it will happen to your car eventually.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:33 PM

E550C
what's the smell like more precisely? is it evident the next day when the car has been sitting overnight?
Old 05-18-2014, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 S 63 AMG 4Matic
Originally Posted by lsdreem
It's been in the 90's lately in SoCal so we have the a/c on full blast. I just noticed recently that whenever I would come to a stoplight, the A/C would turn off while the fans keep blowing.

I figured out that it was the ECO mode shutting off the A/C while it is initiated (Stop mode) and then back on again once we get moving. However warm musty air blows through the vents while in ECO Mode.

Just wondering if this is happening to anyone else. Might be time to change the cabin filter.
I hate to be the one to tell you, but there is no fix for this, it's completely normal. Changing the filter won't fix it.

I've owned everything from AMG'S, BMW, Chevy cars, Ford trucks, Jags, Mazda's, Acura's, and they all give off the same exact smell when the AC gets turned off after being on. I used to take the vehicles to the dealership with a complaint about the smell and the SA would run a deodorizer thru the system, etc. but nothing worked. Now I'm just used to it.

If you disable the ECO and the AC stays running, you shouldn't get any smell. Alternatively, if you leave the ECO on and the AC shuts off for a bit, several minutes after the engine is running with the AC on, the smell should dissappear.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:35 PM

Received 82 Likes on 44 Posts
2021 Cirrus Silver S580 AMG, 2020 Polar White GLE350
The damp smell is temporary until the air conditioner turns back on. When it is off for a few minutes, you are bringing humid outside air over the warming condenser coils picking up the damp smell. Best to turn off ECO if you are driving in warm humid conditions like we have in Florida. It is a normal response and nothing is wrong with your car.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:50 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,350 Likes on 2,806 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by lsdreem
Yeah ok, no one wants to touch this one. Just know that it will happen to your car eventually.
oh dude; don't get mad, and thanx for the warning