S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Auto lock doors?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
I think the operation of the door locking in the W222 is reasonable and this is how virtually all cars act if you unlock a locked car and don't open the door for a while.

What you definitely do NOT want is the doors to unlock unless you manually decide to unlock a locked door. Read the following article and see how the dumb feature in some GM cars to unlock the doors automatically when you move the gear shifter to Park resulted in the death of US agents in Mexico. I'm glad Mercedes never implemented this "feature" but it goes to show the real world implications of a simple feature that someone may have thought is benign.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...KFR_story.html
Old 06-23-2014, 04:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 S550v4 2014 E350 Cabrio
When parked and IF already locked, the car will autoRElock in 5 minutes (approx.) if you use the key remote to unlock the car, but do not open any doors.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Every Mercedes since forever has been this way.

M
Old 06-24-2014, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 201 Posts
2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by Germancar1
Every Mercedes since forever has been this way.

M
I had no idea about this since it's my first MB. I gather from this discussion that most other cars also will not auto lock the doors when parked and one leaves them unlocked. "I learn something new each day."
Old 06-24-2014, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by BeanTrader
I had no idea about this since it's my first MB. I gather from this discussion that most other cars also will not auto lock the doors when parked and one leaves them unlocked. "I learn something new each day."
Yep even my old school S500 does the same thing. If you unlock all the doors without actually opening one the car locks itself in like 30-45 secs. Also will lock all doors once you exceed like 7 mph or something like that. Great feature IMO.

I haven't been following your ownership, how has it been so far?

M
Old 06-24-2014, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Sorting out the subtle differences in complicated features from generation to generation is a fun sport for serial Mercedes owners.

One of my favorite features was dropped after the W220 (in 2007). 2006 and earlier S-class cars had "key-dependent memory." The memory settings for the seats (for instance) were saved separately for each key. So button 1 could always be "my" setting. If I used my key, 1 was mine and 2 was my wife's for the driver's seat and 1 was mine and 2 was hers for the passenger seat. But with her key 1 was her setting for the driver's seat, etc.

As you can imagine, 99% of owners never understood this and brought the car into the shop for "seat memory not being saved properly." Such a feature is called a "Stupid Mercedes Trick," and is a candidate for being dropped in the next model.

MB went one step further and deleted the feature from my 2006 S65 during a service. Of course, we knew how it worked and I was annoyed. They put it back, but made me sign a form that I wouldn't bring the car in for warranty work complaining about the feature.

A new MB is so familiar to a previous MB driver that it's fun looking for the little things they changed because the feature was smarter than the drivers.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 201 Posts
2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by Germancar1
Yep even my old school S500 does the same thing. If you unlock all the doors without actually opening one the car locks itself in like 30-45 secs. Also will lock all doors once you exceed like 7 mph or something like that. Great feature IMO.

I haven't been following your ownership, how has it been so far?

M
To say that I love this car is an understatement. I so much enjoy driving it for long distances. In fact, I am really looking forward on July 2 when my wife and I are driving from Des Moines to Akron, OH to visit our daughter and her family.

The ONLY minor complaint I have is that the internet speed of the built in Wi-Fi is so slow that it is basically useless. I am hoping against hope that MB does something about this problem and improves it in the not too distant future. I am obviously not going to renew the free subscription to MBrace until MB fixes this problem.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E350 & 2004 C230
Auto door locking feature

Our 2007 E350 has this feature and I wasn't aware until I forgot and luckily had the key in the seat and the window down when it locked as I was cleaning. Basically when you remove the key fob from the ignition switch it triggers a timer that will lock the doors usually < 1 minute or so. I am so clumsy with my keys I turned it off just so I'd never get locked out however. The feature is found under the settings menu, accessed by the two switches on the left of the steering wheel. But I sat in the car one day opened the door then shut and waited, and it never locked. So it must not activate until the key fob is removed from the ignition switch. Also remember that when ON this feature will lock the doors without you "actively" pushing the lock button on the key fob, thus the AUTO part. This link shows the menu under which the auto lock and other great features are reset and/or activated/deactivated. http://merc-3bde.kxcdn.com/wp-conten...IMAG028501.jpg

Last edited by MBenzer777; 03-21-2017 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 243 Likes on 195 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Is this true? Confirmed by anyone?

Originally Posted by BenzV12
I think the term auto lock refers to locking the doors during driving the car there could be some misconception here .
Auto lock can lock the car according to your preferences when you cover up some distance , going above a certain speed .These can be chosen in the vehicle settings menu
W222 don't come with this ? I don't think so
Auto Lock also locks the car and pano roof during under certain circumstances such as rain , windows left open more than 6 hours
Auto Lock also locks the car and pano roof during under certain circumstances such as rain , windows left open more than 6 hours
Old 03-22-2017, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 243 Likes on 195 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
There is one other way....

Ok, boys and girls, ladies and gentlemen. Here is the scoop. I just did a bit of experimentation. I got out of the car, locked the doors and then unlocked them again. I did not open the door. In about 30 seconds or so, the doors locked automatically and the of course the side mirrors folded inward. So, this must have been what happened in the past when I know for a fact the doors locked by themselves.

Yes, in my opinion, there should be an option for the car to lock the doors automatically (as long as the key is not left inside the car) after you park it, but oh well, it's not that big of a deal.

Open the trunk and hit the Close trunk and Lock, not just close.... Just Say'n...

GM cars have Auto Lock, its a feature in the DIC. You can choose Auto Lock Silent, Light Flash Only or Horn beep. Ya think they would offer it as a user setting....
Old 05-18-2019, 05:23 PM

GLC 350E
Originally Posted by BadMojo
I highly recommend checking the manual. I mean, it's built right into COMAND. There's even an app available on smart phones called MB Guides which has manuals for every single Merc. ☺

Aside from the snarky comment, yes, the Auto-locking feature has to do with turning the car on and driving off.

As for auto-locking if you forget to lock, think about the edge cases. Do you want the car to auto-lock when you are refueling your car? Probably not.

OK, you might ask, what if the car detected the key fob moving out of range? Well, what if a passenger is inside while you get something? Do you want the car to automatically lock them? That would then prime the alarm. You can see where I'm going with this...

So yeah, MB (and other auto makers as well) require you to consciously lock the car. If later when you are away from the vehicle and you accidentally unlock the car and don't get in, the car auto-locks.
Absolutely incorrect.

Even my Honda does this, if I walk away from the csr with my keys the doors lock.
You can NOT lock the keys in the car or trunk as the proximity sensor can detect the keys INSIDE the vehicle - which is a problem if your wife wants to leave her purse in the trunk with her set of keys in her purse. The trunk will refuse to even shut.

Some how I have this set with MY keyfob on the GLC but not on my wife's. So many little things on cars now, no sales guy can explain them All to you.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:25 PM

GLC 350E
Originally Posted by whoover
IF "RTFM" were an appropriate reply, these forums would be very sparsely populated. The OP asked a reasonably question about a feature ("autolock") that could mean at least three things. It turns out it means two of them. I don't see any reason for snark.

I still think the deal killer is the key with the dead battery. The first time an owner got locked out in that situation there would be hell to pay. As for using mBrace, I wouldn't even accept the free six months because the system is so poor. It uses the same Verizon network as my phone but still fails half the time to connect with the car. The internet speed is like dial-up. I'll take my chances since MB has made it very hard to lock my keys in the car.
Your fob has a metal key in it thst you can remove and your driver's side door has a keyhole to manually unlock the car.